• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Hello helo gentlemen,

Look, have read that HM-15 MH-53E with Lts Van Dorn and Snyder at the control in Jan 2014 had hit the water tail first. Then examined Mi-26 crash landing in Chechnya in Aug 2002 (127 dead of 147 aboard - yes, the sole crash of a Cow brought rougly the same death toll that all 53E mishaps). Well, that Cow was hit by MANPAD in the rightside engine and in flames when crashlanded, keeping the straight course but had hit the ground by tail too.
Is that routine behaviour of heavy helicopter loosing power or control or some special piloting technique in such circumstances?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hello helo gentlemen,

Look, have read that HM-15 MH-53E with Lts Van Dorn and Snyder at the control in Jan 2014 had hit the water tail first. Then examined Mi-26 crash landing in Chechnya in Aug 2002 (127 dead of 147 aboard - yes, the sole crash of a Cow brought rougly the same death toll that all 53E mishaps). Well, that Cow was hit by MANPAD in the rightside engine and in flames when crashlanded, keeping the straight course but had hit the ground by tail too.
Is that routine behaviour of heavy helicopter loosing power or control or some special piloting technique in such circumstances?
Most likely coincidence.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not Navy and not Army. Saw a pair of new MH-139s cross low over I-10 after take off from Davis Monthan AFB. Looked like they were on their way to Ft Huachuca/Libby Airfield. Had to do a double take and think about what I was looking at. I am curious what the helo bubbas think of this replacement of the Huey for the nuke security mission. My nephew is a AF Huey dude and thought it was a good fit when it was announced. Haven't spoken with him about it since the operational eval down at Eglin. Wonder if it still looks like a good deal.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not Navy and not Army. Saw a pair of new MH-139s cross low over I-10 after take off from Davis Monthan AFB. Looked like they were on their way to Ft Huachuca/Libby Airfield. Had to do a double take and think about what I was looking at. I am curious what the helo bubbas think of this replacement of the Huey for the nuke security mission. My nephew is a AF Huey dude and thought it was a good fit when it was announced. Haven't spoken with him about it since the operational eval down at Eglin. Wonder if it still looks like a good deal.
View attachment 30750
Your pic is not an MH-139. Thats some sort of H-60 derivative (possibly loser to MH-139? ).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
View attachment 30750

HH-60W Jolly Green II Combat Rescue helo - that program is managed down the street from my office here at WPAFB.

MH-139 below

You will be pleased to know that one of the factory test pilots and PM is a former Navy single anchor type (and HC H-46 bubba, and one of the 2P's on my HAC cruise). Just getting momentum in the AF.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your pic is not an MH-139. Thats some sort of H-60 derivative (possibly loser to MH-139? ).
Oops, my bad. Grabbed the wrong photo from a tiny pic on computer desktop. When they are less than 1/8 inch squared they do look alike. ?

Pags

N/A
pilot
HH-60W Jolly Green II Combat Rescue helo - that program is managed down the street from my office here at WPAFB.

MH-139 below

View attachment 30751

You will be pleased to know that one of the factory test pilots and PM is a former Navy single anchor type (and HC H-46 bubba, and one of the 2P's on my HAC cruise). Just getting momentum in the AF.
Winks pic is not of a 60W either. 60W has AR probe, different FLIR, and a radome. I did some googling and it's the proposed HH-60U which was Sikorsky's entrant for the USAF H-1 Replacement that lost to the MH-139.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Winks pic is not of a 60W either. 60W has AR probe, different FLIR, and a radome. I did some googling and it's the proposed HH-60U which was Sikorsky's entrant for the USAF H-1 Replacement that lost to the MH-139.
Good catch!!!!

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Just getting momentum in the AF.

Navy helo drivers are definitely feeling better in AF, right? Just like VADM Tom Connolly (then O-4) spoke at the end of WWII: those reservists, lauthing at us Academy types... They don't want to carry the full burden of naval officership, they just want to fly! If and when the independent Air Force will rise, they all quit this boredom of naval service and get into that independent force, just to fly first and fuck the rest:D