• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In other news an Aussie SpecWar pilot took off a few inches of rotor blade but managed to get it back to solid ground safely. Good work!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There better be an epic alcohol rich event and hot newscasters for the TH-57 fini-flight. Just sayin'. And I am not talking @Jim123 streaking per Super Bowl either!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The Navy is talking about “the next big thing,” but it kind of sounds like the “current thing.” What am I missing?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

Found out that Kaman SeaSprites of Royal New Zeland Navy are flown from the right seat by plane commander while portside one is occupied by Observer who is simultaneously co-pilot. Does it really matter what seat the helicopter commander drives his bird from?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Gents,

Found out that Kaman SeaSprites of Royal New Zeland Navy are flown from the right seat by plane commander while portside one is occupied by Observer who is simultaneously co-pilot. Does it really matter what seat the helicopter commander drives his bird from?
Technically, no. Both sides work the same. Most American helicopters have the command pilot in the right seat.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Gents,

I don't know about the Kiwis but the Aussies fly their RAN H-60s single piloted as opposed to the USN who flies dual piloted. As Ike pointed out in modern US helos there's no difference between what can be accomplished from either seat (with the exception of the 60S HCU for helos I'm familiar with).

Where you sat wasnt as much of a thing as folks make it out to be. I probably flew as much on the left as the right as PIC. Sometimes you need the 2P to be on the right for things like certain shipboard landings when they're learning (DDG Flt I/II, LHD/A).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@Max the Mad Russian most US civil helos <12,500 pounds are single piloted and the pilot normally sits right seat. Exceptions of course exist, notably external load and sight seeing operations sometimes to accommodate collective on outboard side of aircraft to prevent passenger interference or aid in "long line" flying.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Thanks. Here it is permanent exception - this Helix-D, SAR bird, has just one set of controls to the left, while NAV sits aright30513 Its pilots themself wonder why so... Maybe just from envy to A-6 from the Intruders movie;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A big reason why one sits on the right is because, on average, a pilot will be right handed, so being able to keep your dominate hand on the cyclic while reaching for radios with the left hand is easier than trying to swap hands and then fly with your left hand. Obviously things like force trim made that easier through the years, but not all helos have that.

I can't prove it, but I've got to believe the Russians fly on the left has something to do with how their rotor blades turn. Or maybe just because they're weirdos.