• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll ask here only because it is the most active helo thread now. Is there currently some sort of availability problem with the TH-57? My son is an engineer for a company that supports the TH-57 and Dyncorp maintenance. He is working on an issue and I am curious about impact in the HTs.

croakerfish

pilot
I'll ask here only because it is the most active helo thread now. Is there currently some sort of availability problem with the TH-57? My son is an engineer for a company that supports the TH-57 and Dyncorp maintenance. He is working on an issue and I am curious about impact in the HTs.

There are numerous parts availability problems looming, particularly for the engine. There are a few more impacting the fleet right now, most notably the yaw trim servo for the Charlies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Its interesting to me contrasting the three different aircraft used in the US to train helo pilots - basically doing the same thing. All 3 have glass cockpits, and IFR certified and all more or less in the same weight and HP range.

I still think the AF took the most efficient and pragmatic path - installing all new avionics and dynamic components in refurbished/0 time H-1 airframes that was completed under a total under the radar acquisition model since there were not "new aircraft". Time will tell.

Army TH-67's are being snatched up in droves for public/civ use.

Navy TH-73 6,283 LBS MGTOW, 1,000 SHP

Air Force TH-1H 10,500 LBS MGTOW, 1,600 SHP

Army UH-72 7,904 LBS MGTOW 1,476 SHP (2 x 738 SHP)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I can see the AD now
I know that's tongue in cheek - but these aircraft were all maintained to the original FAA type certificate and carried FAA airworthiness certificates during service. Cycles and times in the 206 series are well understood. There are a lot of high time 206BIII's out there that see really hard use in the commercial sector. And a plethora of aftermarket products and STC's to improve performance and lower costs keep being introduced.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I know that's tongue in cheek - but these aircraft were all maintained to the original FAA type certificate and carried FAA airworthiness certificates during service. Cycles and times in the 206 series are well understood. There are a lot of high time 206BIII's out there that see really hard use in the commercial sector. And a plethora of aftermarket products and STC's to improve performance and lower costs keep being introduced.
Everyone being auctioned now has an N reg.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could afford to buy, fly, and maintain about two and a half 206B’s for one UH-1!
Mostly true. But no Jet Ranger sounds as cool as a Huey, has the combat bona fides and is so iconic. I even think a Huey can carry more than 2.5 206Bs. Certainly carries more pax and has flown more heros than any other helo.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Mostly true. But no Jet Ranger sounds as cool as a Huey, has the combat bona fides and is so iconic. I even think a Huey can carry more than 2.5 206Bs. Certainly carries more pax and has flown more heros than any other helo.
No question about that...Huey is THE helicopter...but sadly, the money would have to be mine.