• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
When does the Navy plan to officially be done with the 57? Will there be an "intermixed" phase where a stud could be in either the 57 or 73?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When does the Navy plan to officially be done with the 57? Will there be an "intermixed" phase where a stud could be in either the 57 or 73?
Really good question - I'm guessing some form of the model when T-34C to T-6 will be used. Just a guess. I would also guess the plan is in place or nearly so - the TH-73 isn't a low-rate production program - tells me transition window will likely be relatively short....

ChuckMK23

pilot
Also in other news the Army is switching all new procurement of the UH-72 Lakota from the BK-117 configuration I flew to the newest fenstron configured H145 model - order placed with Airbus for 17 of these babies. No word if these are destined for utility or primary training role. Personally I dig the fenstron....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Really good question - I'm guessing some form of the model when T-34C to T-6 will be used. Just a guess. I would also guess the plan is in place or nearly so - the TH-73 isn't a low-rate production program - tells me transition window will likely be relatively short....

They were required to deliver about 3 aircraft a month—so about a three year transition.

That said, Leonardo had never built more than about 20 119s a year prior to this...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
cue the thread "what percent get TH-73s"

@Jim123 its all yours buddy ?
did-you-try-the-search-engine.jpg

croakerfish

pilot

Yes, there will be a transition period where both 57’s and 73’s are flying. The fine details either haven’t been made or haven’t been made known. Most likely the first squadron to transition will stop receiving new students until they are done with 57 SNAs. They’ll use that period to transition all the IPs in that squadron as they taper down. Once they’re 100% TH-73, the next squadron will go.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Yes, there will be a transition period where both 57’s and 73’s are flying. The fine details either haven’t been made or haven’t been made known. Most likely the first squadron to transition will stop receiving new students until they are done with 57 SNAs. They’ll use that period to transition all the IPs in that squadron as they taper down. Once they’re 100% TH-73, the next squadron will go.
Whoah, wait. That makes way too much sense.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Can we maybe get a change to the thread title or a split thread. I think the talk of a new Navy training helo should be split from Rucker.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can we maybe get a change to the thread title or a split thread. I think the talk of a new Navy training helo should be split from Rucker.
Wait now. Just slow your roll. I know to look here for HT and training helo news. I think most have acclimated to the thread drift. ?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Hope it's not as easy to over-torque and exceed mast moment limits as it was in the H145/UH-72A.
I never found it a challenge to keep MMI in limits even on slope landings. You have to always be trimming with the coolie hat - the solid block of titanium that is the rotor head doesnt do well out of trim condition or lots of cyclic movent on the ground. Took me a while to finally get it. Trim trim trim. Coming from the TH-57 it was a big adjustment for me.

ChuckMK23

pilot

Thoughts??
Makes sense to keep the momentum up on the UH-72. A fraction of the f-h cost compared to a '60 and a reasonable utility/training platform. Not perfect in the training role but good enough and politically expedient to procure. The fenstron looks cool - dont know how it flies. This also helps Airbus get to a single configuration for H145 production.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've found the MMI to be a nearly non-issue in the -135. And in the hover, the A-Trim makes touching either the FT or coolie-hat unnecessary. The transition in learning to manage the cyclic in a hover going to the -135 from a Seahawk was pretty seamless, and actually easier (controlability was of course a different matter). Meanwhile on my last check-ride, I was hearing the IP with tons of -135 time, but coming from an old Blackhawk years earlier, constantly activating the FT.

<click-clunk> <click-clunk>

Weirdo.