• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

A valid question, considering fleet birds are slowly getting upgraded (or already have) moving map, albeit with a galactically worse UI.

@phrogdriver

I've lost track. What is the actual display being used in the GTX? Looks like a G1000 from the bezel, but wasn't sure if it's a 3000.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In primary, we had an ongoing debate about using the technology in the airplane vs old fashioned pilot skills. Of course, the answer is a balance between both. We want to produce students who know how to mash buttons to make the plane work for them but we also want to produce students who know how to look out the window.

It always made me cringe to see the student's helmet looking down inside the airplane in response to getting cleared onto an active runway... and it always made me smile to see them first look both ways and then get the button-mashing tasks done. Same same when joining course rules (which was admittedly a lot easier back in my day at 170 knots instead of 240).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
thats a nice chart overlay. I'll take "shit the student will never be allowed to use" for 500 Alex

Eh, the faster we can move away from RIs with needles and paper charts, the better. It's non intuitive and hard to teach/instruct. Moving map is light years better. The reality is we aren't training pilots who can fly needles like it's 1965. We're training proficient modern aviators who need to quickly get to "flying is admin, do a mission with the $100m thing we bought for you"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It seems like an easy question to me. Abandon the old-school methods for teaching navigation and wait and see if the mishap rate goes up as a result.
Ugh! :eek:

(I know you're being facetious ;) )

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
Eh, the faster we can move away from RIs with needles and paper charts, the better. It's non intuitive and hard to teach/instruct. Moving map is light years better. The reality is we aren't training pilots who can fly needles like it's 1965. We're training proficient modern aviators who need to quickly get to "flying is admin, do a mission with the $100m thing we bought for you"
paper charts should always be taught and confidence built from the beginning and periodically refreshed. its a fundemental skill that prevents us from becoming overly reliant on "follow the magenta line".

Unplanned imc, multiple afcs failures, in a 53. youre now stab off, in the soup, setting up for the approach and your ipad dies.

we still fly some old shit my man. we still send studs to fly those old needles from 1965

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
And i get the "just pick up vectors" argument but it's still nice having confidence of working paper. Even in the t6 glass cockpit you're still not allowed to use the fms until late RI. The first block still reinforces needles