• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Does the Navy get one in Aquaflage? At least they didn't put that stuff on the inlets or the FM antenna/drive shaft cover. I wonder if that is a vinyl wrap. Opens up all kinds of potential for advertising.

"Oh the humanity!"
Someone painted a -60 in aquaflage for the centennial of Naval aviation celebrations. It was as godawfully ugly as you'd expect.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
At Heli-Expo in Hotlanta this week. Sat down with Bell folks - they really believe they have TH-XX sewn up!
(And good for them that they do)
- Autopilot, avionics, and flying qualities have all successfully passed FAA review for SP IFR certification

- Only open item is flight testing for boost Off flying qualities in IMC.

- should be wrapped up in a few weeks with certification paperwork submitted in spring and approval early summer.

?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So what was the dark grey H-60?
@Pags its a run of the mill 80’s vintage A model - surplus - with steam guages old old style tape engine gauges - sounds like its being used in an FMS training role in Florida. There are a ton of vendors touting ability to upgrade avionics and expand operating envelope for surplus military 60A’s. More so. Some beautiful aircraft...

Reactions: IKE

Pags

N/A
pilot
@Pags its a run of the mill 80’s vintage A model - surplus - with steam guages old old style tape engine gauges - sounds like its being used in an FMS training role in Florida. There are a ton of vendors touting ability to upgrade avionics and expand operating envelope for surplus military 60A’s. More so. Some beautiful aircraft...

View attachment 21314
I guess it's not the same one from earlier in this thread since it has a logo on the nose.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Airbus: "We are going with Pratt engines for our Navy TH-XX submission..."
The PW200 is sort of in between the small and medium sized versions of the PT6. It's also completely unrelated (clean sheet design from around 1990). It's been one of the engine choices in the EC-135 pretty much since day one I think (the other choice is a Turbomeca product). When those engines were brand new in the 1990s, they were offered in the 135, the latest versions of the AW109, and the MD900.

The Coast Guard leased 109s with the Pratt engine. I think they had mixed experience with that engine-airframe combination... sorta to be expected when you take an executive helicopter and operate in off of cutter flight decks and fly low and fast in a saltwater environment... so I wouldn't hold that history against the engine.

The other dominant engines in this segment are the Turbomeca Arrius and the Allison 250 series.

(Full disclosure- I worked the PW206 in test cells in the 1990s, doing some development and certification work, but that was a long time ago.)