• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is the service that pulled ELTs out of the Sierra rather than pay money.

The ELTs were pulled out of the entire -60 fleet. I believe the reason in large part is because 121.5 isn't monitored anymore on the civilian side and you have at least 3 beacons and 406 units onboard, plus a pinger.

Interestingly, the Saudis were surprised to learn that the US didn't have ELTs and had that specifically modified to be added to their birds. I was checking out one of the RSNF birds the other day and sure enough, there was the ELT unit next to the pilot's seat just like old times, and an ELT antenna on the turtleback.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The ELTs were pulled out of the entire -60 fleet. I believe the reason in large part is because 121.5 isn't monitored anymore on the civilian side and you have at least 3 beacons and 406 units onboard, plus a pinger.

Interestingly, the Saudis were surprised to learn that the US didn't have ELTs and had that specifically modified to be added to their birds. I was checking out one of the RSNF birds the other day and sure enough, there was the ELT unit next to the pilot's seat just like old times, and an ELT antenna on the turtleback.
Was curious of we're still selling then Romeo's with the recent issues.

It's an interesting acquisitions/engineering story if anyone know a place to get a classified beer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was curious of we're still selling then Romeo's with the recent issues.

It's an interesting acquisitions/engineering story if anyone know a place to get a classified beer.

It's an amazingly frustrating story from the operational side, as well. But yes, they're still here. Safe to operate was last week so they should finally be flying this week. First set of pilots are on station and I think the TOFT is coming online this week-ish, so training should start in Feb-ish.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well assuming the winner is either the Leonardo or Airbus the cockpit will be closer to fleet dimensions!!

Whoa. Why would you assume either of those, vice an evolutionary design with minimal switching costs, I.e. the 407?

Last edited:
Reactions: IKE

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
My money is on the Leonardo. Who really thinks we're going to fork out the fuel costs for a twin? This is the service that pulled ELTs out of the Sierra rather than pay money.

The Leonardo is so poorly made it costs even more to operate than a 135. Both of them are significantly more to operate than a 407.

https://www.bjtonline.com/aircraft/airbus-helicopters-h135-t3

https://www.bjtonline.com/aircraft/leonardo-helicopters-aw119-koala

https://www.bjtonline.com/aircraft/bell-407gxp

Last edited:

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Actually an advantage for Leonardo I hadn’t considered- CNATRA would have an all PT-6 powered fleet other than T-45...

Configured for a helo, it's a dramatically different engine, and since maintenance is under separate contracts, there's no supply commonality.

You've got a better case for keeping HT mechanics on RR 250 series engines that they're used to.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Leonardo just released a pic of their TH-119 team that will pitch to CNATRA and NAVAIR - all these dudes are "one of us". Steve on the far right was an H2P on my HAC cruise... good dude. Leonardo is doing the full court press. I suspect this kind of influence will help Leonardo...

1548873300849.png

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Whoa. Why would you assume either of those?
Wait, what? Now come on.. that statement is a bit much. They are all certified to the same US and European standards....I dont think thats a fair statement.

Ask them why their aircraft went Mx down during Fleet Fly In.

Their CPFH is abysmal because they have high Mx costs.

Bell has been making Naval Helicopters since before Vietnam. I’d bet it has more of “our guys” than an Italian company.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So now that the RFP is out who are the folks that score the criteria and who approves the final decision of whatever puzzle-palace type committee is involved? Does CNATRA himself or Air Boss or ....?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So now that the RFP is out who are the folks that score the criteria and who approves the final decision of whatever puzzle-palace type committee is involved? Does CNATRA himself or Air Boss or ....?
With that kind of money involved I don;t know who will score, but I am certain the final decision will land with SecNav. I'm also pretty certain that no matter who wins, the loser(s) will file a lawsuit.