• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nice engine, but I’d lose a chunk of horse power at close to the same weight. I do seriously love the idea of a FADEC as I am sick of the 1920’s technology tractor magneto that I have now (made worse in that it is a dual magneto). Even an engine governor would be nice (the Enstrom uses a collective correlator) to save some gas.

The real problem on the US is that once something works…like a 1950’s engine…why bother ever changing it? It is very expensive for companies to meet FAA requirements and most owners don’t care as long as the spinning thingy on the front (or top) keeps spinning. But…100LL is on the way out no matter how much pilots kick and scream. Several states are working on bills that will limit the number of take offs and landings per day at GA airports that utilize 100LL and others are looking at outright bans. In most cases the fox isn’t too hard, but getting past the “but it works” types isn’t easy.
The lack of innovation in the core of GA piston aircraft is appalling. CAP is doing 500 hour magneto removal and inspections because the mags themselves seem to fail/MBTF right at 500 hours like clockwork. on brand new from the factory Cessna 206T Turbo (that the USAF spent over $1mm per aircraft on )

The FAA Part 23 system is beyond broken. "But its certified!". Safe and Legal are not the same - even remotely. We have a active RV builders community at my airport and the innovation in the EXPERIMENTAL category is amazing - especially products like the Titan engines.

The FAA AVGAS replacement program is also a shitshow. We can't eliminate lead from AVGAS quickly enough - not because of the "environmental" issues, but because lead wreaks havoc on modern fulel in jected engines where the risk of detonation is negligible, and the benefit of Lead additives are negligible, while the harm lead does to valves, spark plugs, fuel nozzles is much worse.

Simply getting the lead out of AVGAS also will immediatly allow use of full synthetic engine oil - which would result in 100Hr oil changes (or more). (normal oil change interval today is 50.)

I've had the Surefly ignition system instal;led on 2 of my club aircraft - a Cessna 182S and a Cessna 206H (non turbo) - both Lycoming IO-540. The results have been remarkable.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FADEC, electronic ignition, hell, I don't even have a starter or generator. "You get the prop I'll get the brakes."

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Spinning the rotors on the -57 to get just that little extra oomph before a battery start wasn't uncommon during my instructing days haha!
Sounds like a "go fetch me some prop wash" kind of thing. There's a video (I can't seem to find it) of a soldier told to pump up the tail strut on a Black Hawk using the pylon step. It's pretty funny. I KNOW as an instructor you never spun up a -57 rotor head. That's GOT to be the job of a student, right?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a "go fetch me some prop wash" kind of thing. There's a video (I can't seem to find it) of a soldier told to pump up the tail strut on a Black Hawk using the pylon step. It's pretty funny. I KNOW as an instructor you never spun up a -57 rotor head. That's GOT to be the job of a student, right?
I was told that if the student pushed real hard just aft of the fuel point the instructor could pop the clutch to get it started. But that was from a dude who identified himself as a Senior Ensign so…

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
If I recall correctly it was against the SOP to let the student do it, and it was a waste because they took so long to get buckled in you’d lose any NR you had going. So, you’d get them buckled in, spin it as fast as you can (maybe like 7%) and hop in and start it super quickly. I didn’t do it often, maybe 2-3 times total. Generally, tried to avoid the Battery starts.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've had the Surefly ignition system instal;led on 2 of my club aircraft - a Cessna 182S and a Cessna 206H (non turbo) - both Lycoming IO-540. The results have been remarkable.

I can't remember where my mags currently are in life (I think I have another year or so before hitting the 500 hour mark), but I plan to put a Surefly in when it's time to rebuild. The real benefit is when you have an engine analyzer, but it will make the engine run hotter. Not a big deal on some designs, but an issue on the enclosed cowl setup of my plane.

For those that care, apparently Surefly is increasing their price in May. I would grab one now if I didn't just have a large aviation expenditure.