• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New girl needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxford

Hello to everyone!
I am trying to find out what are my chances to be accepted for OCS.
Well, I am 29, naturalized citizen. I have J.D., A.S in forensic science and finishing up my POL SCi/Internatioanl Rel. B.A. with 3.8 GPA. I renounced my Russian citizenship because I do not believe a person can be loyal to two countries. I am fluent in Russian. I have met with two officers and told me a contradicting information. One man said I should not even try to get in because I am a naturalized citizen and most likely will not pass my Secret Clearance . Another one said that it is OK. I am physically active but not in my best shape. I can do 25 push-ups, about 70 sit-ups and run 1.5 mile around 14:05. ( I am 29) Do I have a chance?
Any help is welcomed
Thanks

psrogers

Intel Officer
Well, you're obviously very capable of school work. I'd wager that if you really wanted to you could get your run time down. I don't know anything about the citizenship issue.

The intelligence community would probably look very favorably upon your mind...

JTP

Have you spoken with a recruiter yet? If not find one, and they will be able to fill you in with all the info you will need, or atleast most recruiters. What city/state are you in? I found my recruiter by looking in the blue pages in the phone book.

GO DAWGS!!

Ski3

Thats BS. I am a naturalized citizen as well - originally from Poland, I'm 24, and I was naturalized when I was 21. I kept my Polish citizenship for sentimental reasons, and it was not a big deal at all.

Got into OCS with no problems what so ever.

You can do it - good luck.

Jack

oxford

Thanks, Ski3. I know that Navy policy particularily about dual citizenship have changed after 09-11. I heard that if somebody wants to go to OCS then she/he has to have only U.S. citizenship. One officer I spoke with told me that I may apply but he is 99% sure that they will turn me down because of my naturalization. I thought it is BS and also he told me that my parents should live in the United States also ( something about conflict of interests) Anyway, they are coming in few months to live with me.
I am in San Diego area.
Do you think 14:00 min for 29 y.old is bad? What are the requirements?

cman

On the citizenship question-- the only way to know for sure is to apply. If you want to be a naval officer go for it. Don't stop until you've explored every possibility, and then fight some more for it. There are a lot of people on this board that were told they had NO chance. They overcame and went on to graduate OCS. How bad do you want it?

As for the physical quals-- You can find the IN PRT requirement at this link: https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs.htm
Where you are now isn't that bad, but the selection board doesn't want to see stats that "aren't that bad." They want to see people that exceed the minimums and over achieve. It's important to do VERY well. You need every advantage you can get over other applicants. If you check out the link above, under physical training there is a break down of the PRT reqs. Right now you sound like you're in the "good/low" category. To be competitive, you need to be in the excelent to outstanding range of the PRT standards.

Hope this helps and best of luck,
Chris

grmaster1

Originally posted by oxford
Hello to everyone!
I am trying to find out what are my chances to be accepted for OCS.
Well, I am 29, naturalized citizen. I have J.D., A.S in forensic science and finishing up my POL SCi/Internatioanl Rel. B.A. with 3.8 GPA. I renounced my Russian citizenship because I do not believe a person can be loyal to two countries. I am fluent in Russian. I have met with two officers and told me a contradicting information. One man said I should not even try to get in because I am a naturalized citizen and most likely will not pass my Secret Clearance . Another one said that it is OK. I am physically active but not in my best shape. I can do 25 push-ups, about 70 sit-ups and run 1.5 mile around 14:05. ( I am 29) Do I have a chance?
Any help is welcomed
Thanks

Oxford, let's cut through the bullshit right away...

Zachem vam postupat' v OCS, kogda u vas est' JD? Sprosite v voenkomate esli oni berut yuristov v JAG (Judge Advocate General) Corps... Dlya etogo nado proyti OIS--eto gde-to 6 nedel'. U vas i vozrast podhodyaschiy i fizpodgotovka nichego dlya etogo.

YA rodom iz Soyuza, tozhe grazhdanin Shtatov--seychas sluzhu v VMF SSHA v Italii, a cherez nedelyu lechu v Pensakolu--nachinayu ofitserskuyu shkolu i potom lyotnuyu shkolu.

V razvedku vas naverno ne voz'mut ;-)

Ski3

hehe, I "almost" understand that - very similar to Polish.

Oxford, I got in after Sept 11th. I also know 3 other people that got in being naturalized citizens, and two of them are dual.

I say go for it - as cman said, you will never know unless you apply.

FLY NAVY!

Jack Szarkowski

ghost_ttu

hmmmmmm This is the US Navy right? If speaking foreign language is something I gotta do, I hope Texan qualifies as a foreign language otherwise your gonna have to settle for computer languages.

Originally posted by grmaster1

Oxford, let's cut through the bullshit right away...

Zachem vam postupat' v OCS, kogda u vas est' JD? Sprosite v voenkomate esli oni berut yuristov v JAG (Judge Advocate General) Corps... Dlya etogo nado proyti OIS--eto gde-to 6 nedel'. U vas i vozrast podhodyaschiy i fizpodgotovka nichego dlya etogo.

YA rodom iz Soyuza, tozhe grazhdanin Shtatov--seychas sluzhu v VMF SSHA v Italii, a cherez nedelyu lechu v Pensakolu--nachinayu ofitserskuyu shkolu i potom lyotnuyu shkolu.

V razvedku vas naverno ne voz'mut ;-)

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Ski3

New England first officer and a southern captain doing a "before start" checklist:

FO: Parking brake

CAPT: sayyyyyyyiittt

FO: "Parking brake"

CAPT: sayyyyyyiitttt!

FO" PARKING BRAKE!

CAPT: Goddamn boy, look at it, its sayyyittttt!

:)

psrogers

Intel Officer
I'm not edumucated in Rooshen, and I think I saw something about the JAG in there- that is a program you have to look at, especially if you want use your legal education.

oxford

Thanks to everybody. The problem is I do not want to use my Law education directly. All I want is Intel and it sounds very sad if I cannot get it. I would like to use my language skills and learn few more. I would like to do international affairs or intel (not law)
I know it sounds stupid to most of normal people but that what I want. If I have to proof my loyalty before being accepted into Intel communitity, I would agree to serve first few years in different field (line officer or something else) Can a woman be a line officer?
(correct me if I am wrong with terminology) How it looks like?
Is that easy(possible ) to transfer after an initial assignment?
Would you recommend this way if I cannot get intel right away?
How women are living on the ship? I do not know anything about it.
Is my first assignment going to be on the ship?
One very importnat question is when you sign a contract for OCS can you put a place you would like to serve first time?
I have to go to my Pol Sci class now.
I will post in 3 hours.
Thanks to everybody. All of you are just such a great help!

cuculeis

sure you can put where you want to serve first...its called a dream sheet....but usually thats all it is... the needs of the navy dictate. transfering designators once commissioned sometimes is difficult. yes a woman can be a line officer, on one of my prior commands aboard a destroyer my executive officer was a female. as well as division officers of other departments. and as far as your first command being on a ship, possibly. like i said, needs of the navy. whatever you choose to do, good luck. its well worth it. ill be reporting to OCS next month and im very excited. especially being enlisted for my first 11 years...

oxford

HI to every one!
I am greatly discouraged today about my opportunity to get into OCS. I have a woman in my office who is married to a NAVY man and she said that NAVY does not need people anymore. SHe said that it is extremely hard to get OSC even for people who does have an experience in NAVY. She said I am too old for NAVY and they will reject me anyway because my push-up are not so good etc. She acused me of going to NAVY when the economy is so bad and said I am trying to save myself by going there. Her huband can do 80 push-ups and so many people in NAVY have a B.A. and MA degrees and still cannot get OCS and they are in their best shape. I do not know what to think........................

cuculeis

oxford, dont listen to her...let the navy tell you no!!! ok...if your struggling physically, you can correct that by working out...i got in and im 31 going on 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.