• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New DCO, what to expect for first DWE and INDOC

OSUrower

Hello all!

New DCO in the reserves. I commissioned in Jan and my first DWE is this weekend.

I was not prior service so I really don't know what to expect or plan on doing this weekend. The COMMS officer for my detachment sent me a zip file with like 20+ files in it with some info on the NOSC and the EMF detachment.

Should I attend in my blues? I think that's the UOD and I have them from my commissioning ceremony. One of the chiefs working in the NOR office said civilian clothes are fine because over half the indoc class are coming right from the civilian world and because he didn't know that I gave my SDB.

Any thoughts or tips for a JG that's just starting out would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Also April 1st for the first drill, is the Navy starting to play tricks on me already?

Goodfou

At NOSC Jacksonville there was a mix of prior military personnel who were in uniform and others who were not. Either a set of khakis or NWUs would be appropriate, if you have either. I probably wouldn't wear my blues, even if that was the only uniform I owned. No one was in their blues at Jax. The first weekend will be filled (I use that term loosely as it will be a lot of "hurry up and wait") with paperwork, medical, IT integration, ID card issuance, etc. You'll also want to try to set up your DCOIC class reservation if possible.

Drill weekend dates typically are planned around holiday weekends and many units have two drill weekends a month. That being said, they are planning around Easter.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
You'll also want to try to set up your DCOIC class reservation if possible.

This. Get it done ASAP. Otherwise, you might end up stuck in OSU a lot longer than strictly necessary, overseen by an OIC who has very little/no knowledge of what designator-specific schools are required to get you up to speed.

1. Indoc (+ schedule DCOIC)
  2. Attend DCOIC
  3. Drop a TRUIC change request in RFMT

OSUrower

This. Get it done ASAP. Otherwise, you might end up stuck in OSU a lot longer than strictly necessary, overseen by an OIC who has very little/no knowledge of what designator-specific schools are required to get you up to speed.

1. Indoc (+ schedule DCOIC)
  2. Attend DCOIC
  3. Drop a TRUIC change request in RFMT
I know you. Well kinda. In an online way.

Thought I'd hit this place up since there wasn't too much going on with my other postings.

But back to the topic at hand, I have a date in mind for this and OTC gave me the classes for this FY and next that have openings, just got to sign up for a date this weekend!

unbroken

Naval officer
I would wear SDBs. I was told by 3 people in my unit at at our NOSC to show up in them on the first day; the other new report (an O-3 prior) also wore his. When in doubt, better to dress up than dress down.

Agree that signing up for DCOIC should be your first step. Definitely find out who your unit training officer is and make sure they know who you are.

INDOC is a lot of paperwork. Get copies of everything. Also, PFA is this weekend so be prepared for that (ie bring PT clothes). I think you technically have a window since you are newly commissioned, but my CO asked me to do it on my first day since it was the last weekend of the cycle. Plus, a good way to make a good first impression.