• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New DCO Intel Officer

bmwhite123

Hey all, I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on whether or not Reserve Intel Officers have been able to attend different schools in the past once they are qualified I.E. SERE school, Airborne, etc...?

Appreciate any insight on this.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
That depends...

Depends on what unit you are with and if you are deploying.

If you're with NSW, then chances are you will go to SERE, but only after all other designator specific schools are completed and prior to a deployment (if needed).

Jump School, chances are slim and none and slim left town.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Depends. SERE? Not likely. No need.

Had a fellow 1835 weasel his way into an NSW unit as a very junior Intel O and then into a MOB with SEAL TEAM 10, both ahead of other more qualified people who were waiting in line. He got to go to jump school and got a BSM out of the MOB. He left the Reserve afterwards as an O3 and now has these accolades plastered on his social media and on is "company bio."

Have another 1835 colleague who attended Military Freefall School as a Reservist and who jumps regularly and has spend his entire Reserve career in SOC related Reserve units. Mind you, he was prior Army SF and once you are part of that club it opens doors otherwise closed to others.

Things happen but please don't be that guy (i.e., the SEAL groupie). If you want to play and get close to NSW, be a PT stud, be humble, know your sh*t, help others, and get yourself assigned to either NR NSW INTEL 17 or 18 (or whatever they are called these days). These units support SEAL TEAMs 17 and 18 and you will deploy with your respective unit on a scheduled basis outside of the regular NAVIFOR MOB list (Reservists assigned to these intel units are caged off and controlled by NSW).

taxi1

pilot
It’s been 11 years, but we got some DCOs who were deploying seats at SERE school. We just asked and they had slots. Went on ADT.

One of them flunked out. Yes, it is possible.

exNavyOffRec

He left the Reserve afterwards as an O3 and now has these accolades plastered on his social media and on is "company bio."

I have seen that a few times, one person I worked with, he was in the USAF (officer), was sent to middle east to be stop gap as a person that had been over had to come back, he spent about 3 months as an admin officer and rec'd a BSM. I guess record keeping is really important in the USN.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Depends. SERE? Not likely. No need.

Had a fellow 1835 weasel his way into an NSW unit as a very junior Intel O and then into a MOB with SEAL TEAM 10, both ahead of other more qualified people who were waiting in line. He got to go to jump school and got a BSM out of the MOB. He left the Reserve afterwards as an O3 and now has these accolades plastered on his social media and on is "company bio."

Have another 1835 colleague who attended Military Freefall School as a Reservist and who jumps regularly and has spend his entire Reserve career in SOC related Reserve units. Mind you, he was prior Army SF and once you are part of that club it opens doors otherwise closed to others.

Things happen but please don't be that guy (i.e., the SEAL groupie). If you want to play and get close to NSW, be a PT stud, be humble, know your sh*t, help others, and get yourself assigned to either NR NSW INTEL 17 or 18 (or whatever they are called these days). These units support SEAL TEAMs 17 and 18 and you will deploy with your respective unit on a scheduled basis outside of the regular NAVIFOR MOB list (Reservists assigned to these intel units are caged off and controlled by NSW).

Once you're in, you're in (as an operator). It's easy to keep up your currency and snag that extra pay, but for an-off-the-street DCO chances are very slim. SERE is an easier ask for those that are mobilizing with SOCOM.

Also, being attached to NSW in the reserves is just like being part of any other unit. You are mostly doing Admin with the occasional interesting AT/Mob.

snake020

Contributor
Hey all, I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on whether or not Reserve Intel Officers have been able to attend different schools in the past once they are qualified I.E. SERE school, Airborne, etc...?

Appreciate any insight on this.
Unlikely, but if they really need you to attend they'll send you.

If you have a hard on for these schools, perhaps you should reconsider your designator or even branch of service.

taxi1

pilot
The keys are money (ADT), slots in the schoolhouse, and a CO willing to let you go. It requires a heightened level of wiliness to pull it off. I saw 15XX DCOs go to both SERE and API, neither of which were hard requirements. Other courses too.

snake020

Contributor
The keys are money (ADT), slots in the schoolhouse, and a CO willing to let you go. It requires a heightened level of wiliness to pull it off. I saw 15XX DCOs go to both SERE and API, neither of which were hard requirements. Other courses too.

Whose ADT pot funded that? If someone has the Uncle Scrooge ADT money bin, please pass the gouge.