• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Cadence pushups and planks. When will it be implemented?

Beardog768

Hey all, I saw a news article and a youtube video that was discussing possible changes to the Navy PRT. Apparently it is now cadence pushups and planks. Is this the same case for the OCS guys?? I saw that the academy was doing this but am a bit confused on how they would score this in OCS since you need higher scores as you go through the weeks in OCS. My recruiter does not know the answer and I ship out on June 14th. Any help is appreciated, I have been doing pushups, sit-ups, and planks and seem to be doing very well in all but would like to know which ones I will be doing at OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey all, I saw a news article and a youtube video that was discussing possible changes to the Navy PRT. Apparently it is now cadence pushups and planks. Is this the same case for the OCS guys?? I saw that the academy was doing this but am a bit confused on how they would score this in OCS since you need higher scores as you go through the weeks in OCS. My recruiter does not know the answer and I ship out on June 14th. Any help is appreciated, I have been doing pushups, sit-ups, and planks and seem to be doing very well in all but would like to know which ones I will be doing at OCS.

This gets asked regularly, no official PFA guidance has been put out. Stay tuned and you’ll know in due time.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Supposedly USNA is implementing this or has already switched to it so I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t filter out to the Fleet within the year.

Cadence push-ups wouldn’t be a big deal but either before or after the plank, that’s gonna be killer on the shoulders.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m hearing changes take effect the PFA after the next one, so fall timeframe for most.

johnboyA6E

None
my son is a youngster at usna, he just did his spring PFT yesterday using the new process

you only need to do 60 cadence pushups to max out, they are harder but nothing that a little practice can't overcome

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, What are these cadence push-ups consist of?
Push-ups are a four count exercise
1 (down), 2 (up), 3 (down), 4 (one push-up)

Well, that’s how we yelled it in the Corps at least.

johnboyA6E

None
that's how it was at AOCS - down/up/down/1, down/up/down/2, down/up,down/3....

the new thing is supposed to be a 2 sec cadence - down/1, down/2, down/3, down/4....

so perfect score is 60 pushups in 2 min (down up in 2 sec)

you can't rest, and as soon as you miss one rep test is over

johnboyA6E

None
not AOCS - what i wrote is what is in place now at USNA.

perfect score is 60 pushups in 2 min (down up in 2 sec)

you can't rest, and as soon as you miss one rep test is over

yes - this policy is only for USNA right now, it might be adopted navy wide that hasn't been announced, i assume OCS follows big navy

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Dang. I was really hoping that cadence pushups meant

"OOOONE-TWOOOO-THREEEEEE-FOOOOUR-I-LOOOOVE-THE SUPPLYYYYY-COOOOORPS!" (that's one rep)
These days I do the DDDDDOOOOWWWWNNNN....(Is that dust on my floor? Did I feed the cats? This isn’t too bad, I should rest here.)...UUUPPPP...Oh never mind, we’ll call it 50 something.