• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Brit Carrier

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Concur with RN Commodores = 1 star. I worked directly for for one while I was there and also closely with a RN Captain.

So, more from the below write up but best over a beer somewhere..... QE was designed and originally going to be a CAT/Trap boat. However, politics, $$$ and manning took their toll on QE and probably PW as well. However the spaces for the CATs and arresting gear are still built into QE. They are just empty.

Politically, I won't go into much here as it's still a sore subject between RN and RAF. But this factor was a major contributor to QE going STOVL. We can talk about this over a beer somewhere but here in the main forum isn't the place.

$$ wise, EMALS reported costs and delays were contributing factors. The $$ amount that I saw for U.K. to get EMALS was wayyy higher than what I saw as expected cost in US. That, plus the cost of the new arresting gear, drove RN to switch from 35C to B. Definitely a fair amount of capability loss with the switch all the way around, but.... Overall cost of QE is extremely high when compared to a Nimitz class. The was due to it being built in the U.K., being one of 2 and the build was all new for the U.K. Lots of lost capabilities over the years in carrier ship building and it being first in class. You will see what I mean if you look at US Nimitz class cost overall and then if you subtract the cost of the reactors (big $$) QE in comparison is a very expensive non nuclear ship. Ford is tracking same way IRT first in class cost sky rocketing but it is a carrier with new reactor types, EMALS, AAG, etc.

Manning was another huge issue. Manning in the RN is wicked low. Lots of empty desks where I worked. If you think the US Navy is gutted, RN is way worse. They are trying to make up for this with automation. QE has a ton of automation. Some really cool stuff and other is strictly due to not having the manning. QE ships company is under 800 people. Compare that to how many thousands on Nimitz class. This allows their berthing and other amenities to be way better that their US counterpart. Also the MOD defense review cut thousands of jobs from E1 through Admirality billets.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...As I understand it, now the title Commodore is now for captains filling positions that would nominally be RADM(lower half) commands, like a training wing, for example?

Eh, not really. Most of the positions holds by Commodores never have been a flag billet, it is just a title like Max mentions. It actually existed as a temporary rank in WWII but it was relatively rare for someone to hold it, Admiral Burke is one of the few you can actually find pictures wearing it when he was ADM Mitscher's COS.

Commodores were not permanent positions until 1997 in the RN and just like Brigadiers weren't considered GO's in the British Army they were not FO's when the rank was worn previously on a temporary basis.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I understand it, now the title Commodore is now for captains filling positions that would nominally be RADM(lower half) commands, like a training wing, for example?
Traditionally, a Commodore was a squadron commander in the shoeish sense of the word - one officer in charge of multiple ships. Today, they're also commanders of non-carrier air wings. None of these are O-7 billets in any way.

"Commodore" is basically a courtesy title for an O-6 who commands commanding officers.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Manning in the RN is wicked low

By the way, why, in your opinion? Is that for surface community only? As far as I know, the submarine fleet of RN has about four applicants to one existing billet. Maybe surface fleet is generally underpaid or average Brits neglect military service as they expect greater growing of economy after they get out of EC?
In any case, thanks for your explanations. Someone of British admirals have said that the worst enemy of current RN is always next to-be-elected PM (prime minister). And each subsequent SDSR makes RN poorer while RAF richer and more fun...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The manning issue MOD wide is not because of lack of interest. It's due to billets being cut by the Defense Review a few years back. Once again the limitation is $$ based.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Evidently you mean SDSR 2010 when a Harrier GR7/9 fleet was grounded to be cannibalized and partly sold to USMC:)
Well, flying leathernecks will have a lot of pleasure while based on QE, as at least the soft drinks and beer are still legal on RN ships:D Wonder if Osprey is compatible to QE's elevators...

Last edited: