• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New BDCP applicant

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
Hi all,
I'm sure glad I found this site before continuing with my BDCP application. I have found several helpful things. I have just a few questions for any BDCP vets, officers, and so forth

1) Honestly, how competitive is the selection process? I've come to realize that each of you on here are pro-active members with great resumes, but certainly not everyone can be such an outstanding applicant, right? And how many people really know about the program? Simply put, I guess, what are my chances?

2) Is it just me, or is the whole process a bit of a "hurry up and wait" ordeal? I went in to this thing thinking I could sign and get a job selection and start getting paid quickly...but I'm guessing this is not really the case?

3) I've read some great posts by Tom and others, but I could use all the advice, warnings, things to be noted, and encouragement I could get. Anything is appreciated!

Thanks everyone for your help in advance! One thing's for sure. I will not take no for an answer. I will be a Naval Officer, and however forward this might be, I will be in the sky!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Chances are good that if you can do well on the ASTB, have a good GPA, and have a little extra something to your application, you have a decent shot, depending on the month and the needs of the navy.

Yes, "hurry up and wait" is the key phrase everyone writes on here all the time. I took the ASTB in early spring '08 and swore in late July.

So get in touch with a recruiter, take the ASTB, and good luck.

acwildcat

pilot
This is a pretty competitive process and it really just depends on the month on how competitive it actually is. When I got my pro-rec I was 1 of 7 selected that month. I would say that the best things I had in my package were my Letters of Recommendation and my Motivational statement because I had a mediocre GPA and a Business major.

This is most definitely a "hurry up and wait" process. I got my pro-rec last month and I do not have the faintest idea of when I will be swearing in and getting paid. And I started my application in November.

Lobster

Hurry up and wait is a true statement but if you very proactive about it you can get things done faster. I had my prt and meps done before my package went to the board so when they board wanted me to get my eyes checked again by the eye doc I went and did it the next day and had my final select and swore in 3 weeks later. It also depends on your OR, mine was great and wanted me to swear in before the end of the month so I got partial payment for that month. So basically control what you can and stay on top of it. Good Luck!

OUdrumz22

Navy Hopeful
Thanks guys for the words of advice.

Alright, new question. I'm getting some mixed answers from all over the place. I'm wondering what the actual GPA requirement is? I took a shot last semester and my GPA went to 2.45. My recruiter said it was just fine and I could still apply. Everywhere else it says there's a requirement of 2.7. What is it? I know most likely I should believe my recruiter because that's her job, but I'm sure you guys already in the program can understand my nerves here.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
BDCP is one of the most competetive programs in the Navy (maybe the military), and getting selected for a BDCP SNA slot is even more competetive. With a 2.45 you might be able to apply, but even with a 2.7 you are not really competetive (I would guess 3.3 or above is competetive for aviation) though your major also is taken into consideration (tech/non-tech degree). But there is nothing you can do about the past, just try not to repeat it in the future.

From submitting the package to getting your first paycheck is roughly 3 - 4 months (my experience: Submitted late August, Accepted BDCP Supply & SWO mid October, Swore in Nov 14th, first paycheck was mid December). Though why are you worried about your first paycheck now, focus on the ASTB and your GPA now, then move on to completeing your BDCP package, then ... Take it one step at a time.

I would never talk down on recruiters because I think mine is great and has been more of a mentor, but you also must remember that big Navy says their job is to recruiter. So even if your chance is less than remote, it is still beneficial for them to try, especially if they are new to the process and want to get more familiar with it.

Good luck, and listen to what everyone on here has to say and you will accomplish your goal.

MrFreakinKite

If you need PRK and you're going for BDCP, do you need to have it before you send in your application or do they let you get it after?

Semisonic9

If you want PRK and you're going for BDCP, do you need to have it before you send in your application or do they let you get it after?

Same question, one word changed. :icon_tong

I'd like to get my vision fixed soon. BDCP app is still a few months away. I'm looking at Intel or Engineering, so they don't really care too much about my vision.

For us guys without vision requirements, who can afford to pay for it, is it worth the hassle of waiting to do it while in-service, or should I just go out and get it now?

Lobster

I seem to remember other guys going through it and its easier to get it done before you put in your package...if not you've got to wait until after OCS...search around there is a whole thread on the PRK somewhere.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Hi all,
I'm sure glad I found this site before continuing with my BDCP application. I have found several helpful things. I have just a few questions for any BDCP vets, officers, and so forth

1) Honestly, how competitive is the selection process? I've come to realize that each of you on here are pro-active members with great resumes, but certainly not everyone can be such an outstanding applicant, right? And how many people really know about the program? Simply put, I guess, what are my chances?

2) Is it just me, or is the whole process a bit of a "hurry up and wait" ordeal? I went in to this thing thinking I could sign and get a job selection and start getting paid quickly...but I'm guessing this is not really the case?

3) I've read some great posts by Tom and others, but I could use all the advice, warnings, things to be noted, and encouragement I could get. Anything is appreciated!

Thanks everyone for your help in advance! One thing's for sure. I will not take no for an answer. I will be a Naval Officer, and however forward this might be, I will be in the sky!

Piece of advice number one:

walk into a recruiter's office and speak face to face. Get the ball rolling.