• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nervous STA applicant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmurty19

Hello everyone. I haven't put any posts up in a while, so bear with me. My application for STA-21 is due in June or July, so I have plenty of time to work out all my jitters. I am already on top of collecting info and starting on my personal statement, yet I am still nervous about being accepted. Here are my quals: 3.1 high school gpa, 1400 SAT score, no college, not much leadership positions to speak of, 3.5 nuclear field A school gpa, and half way through nuclear power school with a 3.85 gpa. what do u think my chances of getting accepted are??? Also, some insight on my personal statement (i.e length, focus points, etc.), I'm getting writers block. Thanks guys for all your help and time.

ET3 Murty

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before you take another step toward completing your application, you need to find out specifically when your package is due...not only to the board, but also by your chain of command. They're going to want to review it and set up interviews before the CO signs the endorsement. You can't be fuzzy on the due date.

Check out the link provided below. It may provide some info you don't have or haven't seen before. This should provide you with the information you desire for your personal statement.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/forms_fy03/opnavinst1420_1a_ch8.doc

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong, but there is no certain profile that will ensure acceptance. Your stats are great. If you are looking for advice on leadership positions, here are a few. Get involved with scouts, big brother/big sister, tutoring. There are many programs outside the Navy where you can show your leadership potential. I wrote my personal statement using the OCS application form, but the instruction now is pretty clear about what you must write about. See the link in the previous reply. The sooner you inform your chain of command and start your package the better. I started getting mine together 8 months before it was due. What option are you considering?
-CJF

jmurty19

Yes, I have spoken with my career counselor, but he has not been much help lately. My deadline for my package to the review board is 1 July for all concerned, and my CCC will set up my interview with my CO. As for the link, I had already seen it, but thanks. We have a briefing with the Captain who coordinates the STA-21 nuclear option on the 17th of March, so I believe more info will be dished out there. I am basically only considering the Nuclear option because I am a Nuclear Power student, and the core program as a fall back plan. Once again, thanks for all of you guys input.

ET3 Murty

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
ET3,
I chose SWO as my first choice because that is what I have known for the past 10 years (besides Air dept on a carrier), so I think nuke is a wise choice in your situation. I was selected for Core option, which was my second choice. My career counselor wasn't much help to me, but I learned quite a bit about the program having to do everything myself. It may seem they are being lazy, but they are probably trying to help you out in the long run. Remember after all, it is your package. After the effort I put into mine, there was no one to blame but myself had I not been selected. I wish you the best in your endeavor.
-CJF

jmurty19

It's coming along just nicely, thanks for asking. I have all the requirements, and the only thing that needs some peaking and tweaking is my personal statement. I am running it past a few friends and family for revisions and the like. After I turn my package into my CCC on April 23, they will review it to ensure there are no errors. Then after that, the only hurdles left are the interviews and my meeting with my CO, which is all being set up by the command. So even though I already have done quite a bit of work, the hard part is still to come! Wish me luck! Go Navy!

ET3 Murty

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I just wanted to say hey, I was an ET3 out of Norfolk and applied in the year before STA-21 was initiated(2001). I have a 4yr ROTC scholarship to Vanderbilt in Nashville, graduate (hopefully :icon_mi_1 ) in 2005. I am applying for SNA. If you have any questions or anything about your packages I would be glad to help. I need to talk to some enlisted people again, these midshipmen are driving me crazy!! Good luck to everyone, hope to see you in the fleet.

"The dude abides"

Status
Not open for further replies.