• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Some Input/Research On The Carl Vinson Carrier Group - Free Beer Inside!!!

Scott M

Okay...no free beer apps that I could find, but if I could, it would probably be Blue Moon or Sam Ad - Cherry Wheat. Or, hell, a couple of shots of your favorite.

Here's what I need. I've been reading up on San Francisco (all active naval bases closed there, right?) Bay and the Carl Vinson's carrier group, which, according to the always reliable Wikipedia, has defense of San Fran as part of its mission.

Here's what I'm going for. While the book I'm writing will not contain the actual events, the setting I'm shooting for is a San Fran Bay littered with wrecked, destroyed ships, the result of an extremely short-range surface action between the ships in the carrier group. Without going into too many details, this all happens weeks after TSHTF (the shit hits the fan). The action will not take place within the story, but some of the characters will have witnessed it. In other words, it's not pivotal, but rather texture for the main story thread.

If anyone is interested, I would very much appreciate some naval input as both myself and my entire family are Army/Air Force.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
An aircraft carrier is not tasked to defend a specfic location. The U.S. has established the Geographic Combatant Commands who are responsible for military operations in their defined regions.
U.S. Northern Command would be responsible for the mission of homeland defense for all U.S. territories in it's Area of Responsbility (of which all of Continental United States is part of) http://www.northcom.mil/About/index.html
If U.S. Northern Command has a mission, it will request forces from the Joint Staff to support that mission. The Joint Staff can provide any military unit that meets specific readiness requirements.
So, an aircraft carrier can support U.S. Northern Command, not just the USS CARL VINSON.

So, short of a more specific question, I really can't give you more info. But I can say that your understanding is incorrect. U.S. Northern Command is responsbile for the defense of the United States and they can employ all military means available to defend the homeland.

Scott M

I saw that the Nimitz had made the Bay and sailed under the Golden Gate bridge for the 75th anniversary. Very cool pics and video.

Bear in mind that this is a work of science-fiction, but I would like to stay as plausible as possible.

In the scenario in question, assume structural C3 (if that's the correct terminology in this context) is breaking down at the command level. A carrier group is nearby San Francisco and there are VIP's, for instance the President in the city. Civil authority has already started to break down and the carrier group is ordered to San Fran to a) evac the VIP's and b) evac as many civilians as possible. After that, all communication with higher is gone, but the carrier group, being close in proximity to the San Fran area, continues with it's task. I would imagine that the carrier would stand off and send choppers in for VIP evac, but the destroyers and frigates could be used to retreive as many civilians as they can.

In such a scenario, would the smaller ships be ordered into the Bay?

Assuming that they will and any number of things occur to completely shatter the chain of command, what are some things to consider in a surface action between two opposing forces comprised of, say, two ArleighBurke-class destroyers against another Arleigh Burke destroyer backed by two Oliver Hazard Perry frigates within the confines of the Bay?

gotta_fly

pilot
Are you seriously asking us to speculate on the results of a USN vs USN fight?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Scott M

Technically, yes. It's purely an exercise in fiction. Besides, in the storyline, there's not much of a USN left. Or any other N. Aside from the units at sea, it's all been compromised. Further, I'm less interested in the results than I am about the details of a fight between vessels capable of fighting at long range, when penned up inside a body of water like San Fran Bay.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I'm going to venture a guess and say that this scenario is so widely removed from the realm of possibility that you can pretty well say anything you please. There's no real way to make it sound credible. I don't know that there's a whole lot of help a bunch of real world naval officers are going to be able to offer here. You're probably better off seeking help in a fiction writer's forum somewhere else.

Scott M

Someone probably said something like that to the writers/producers of "Battleship" and look what that got them. Of course it's widely removed from the realm of possibility. I'm suggesting take the scenario and think about what those officers in command would have to consider.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone probably said something like that to the writers/producers of "Battleship" and look what that got them. Of course it's widely removed from the realm of possibility. I'm suggesting take the scenario and think about what those officers in command would have to consider.
You'd get a better sense of what you're after by reading some early Tom Clancy novels. Nobody here is going to be able to provide you with what you're after. We would be speculating about as well as you could on your own.

Scott M

Many, many, many thanks to helolumpy. In subsequent back and forth discussion off-forum, I've found that, indeed, someone here was able to provide exactly what I was after. With an impressive degree of detail, he pretty much nailed it.

Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many, many, many thanks to helolumpy. In subsequent back and forth discussion off-forum, I've found that, indeed, someone here was able to provide exactly what I was after. With an impressive degree of detail, he pretty much nailed it.

Thanks.
Glad we could be your free research service. Your tax dollars at work. :rolleyes:

Scott M

Hey now. I had to put up with being the only USAF member in a family of paratroopers, rangers, and SF for years. I think I'm due a federal kickback or two, lol.