• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azn_1

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I was led to this sight by another Officer who told me this was a good site to check out.

Anyhow, I'm 22 years old and I will be entering my Senior year at the University of Kentucky, finishing up on my BS in Telecommunications. I recently took the ASTB and didn't do too well because I rushed through it and really didn't take my time on it because my friends were waiting on me. I have been talking to a recruiter to try to get into the officer program.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the Baccalurate (SP?) completion program and if it's still possible for me to enroll in this program. I have to go back to take the ASTB test again on July 28th because the Master Chief said the lowest score they wanted coming out of college was a 50 on the test and I scored a 42.

I don't exactly know which program I want to go into but I do know that I want to join the Navy. I really don't know much about anything but from what the recruiter has been telling me this is a hard offer to pass up since they will be paying me 2500 a month if i'm enlisted the the degree completion program.

I just wanted to know what you guys think would be a good field for me to go in with a telecomm degree. I'm more into networking with computers rather than broadcasting/ journalism. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I have more questions but I just can't think of them off the top of my head. I know they will surface later and I will ask them when then time comes. Thanks in advance.

saltpeter

The program your referring too is called the BDCP program. Think of it as a company signing bonus. For you committing to enter OCS and then train for a specific job as an officer in the Navy, the Navy will begin paying you while your still in college. 2500 sounds about right and you'll continue to be payed this amount until you graduate OCS, then you'll be payed as an officer. Your recruiter knows the manning levels for specific jobs and what GPA/test score is reuired for each job. Requirements change constantly depending on whether the Navy is hiring. As far as what job you'd be happy doing in the Navy that's a personal choice, but the options you may want to look at are Intelligence or Crypto from what you wrote. I'm sure the competition is extreme right now, so don't put your life on hold. The military always has people who want to become officer's and can pick and choose. Study hard, submit your paperwork, and then see what your offered. Your not obligated to join by applying and since the Navy hasn't offered an applicant anything see what everyone offers you and then decide. Definately apply though. Your recruiter will help steer you towards a career based on what skills you have.

saltpeter

I'll just add this because it comes up frequently. Recruiters are not payed any incentives to put you in the Navy. They are interested in helping you and the selection process is slow. Once your paperwork is submitted the selection board may take six months or longer and in the end you may be turned down. Much like a civilian company there are more applicants than positions available and the Navy is in the process of right sizing. Which potentially means OCS class may return to the days when classes sizes were two people. It was funny to look on the wall of OCS and see a graduating class this small, but that's what happens when a company is overmanned. Good luck and discuss what are the job opening with your recruiter. He/she will tell you.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Please do not have your friends waiting for you the next time you take the ASTB, which will be at least 30 days from the last time. You only get 3 shots and each one is precious. I would Highly recommend studying up for the next one. After the next one you have six months to make your last try and then your score are locked in. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.