• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEED ALL OPINIONS

druteague

Good Evening,

Due to adhd medication I took in the past, I have 12 months until I can get into the pipeline of creating an OCS package. That means realistically I have 18 months to improve my resume as much as possible. I graduated college with a 3.05 and was a two-sport NCAA athlete (rugby and lacrosse) while being voted the college lacrosse team captain. I am also pursuing my private pilot license. What other steps should I take other than preparing for the asvab and doing well that would make me competitive? (Volunteer work, other involvement, etc.)

A couple things to keep in mind

1. I got an F my last semester of college but I got accepted into the MBA program at my school. I am concerned about that F and I want to redeem it with getting good masters grades. I have received mixed opinions on this matter.. but should I spend the money and seek to get my MBA (while getting good grades), or is it not worth the money? Essentially what I am asking is how much will that help me and if you were in my shoes would you get the MBA.

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
Since you said you are pursuing a private pilot license I’m going to assume you’re trying to get a pilot slot for OCS. You’re not taking the asvab, you’re taking the ASTB. ASTB scores and GPA are your biggest concerns that you should focus on.

druteague

Since you said you are pursuing a private pilot license I’m going to assume you’re trying to get a pilot slot for OCS. You’re not taking the asvab, you’re taking the ASTB. ASTB scores and GPA are your biggest concerns that you should focus on.
I have already graduated so my GPA is stuck how it is. That is my point. Should I get my masters to show I can produce higher gpa. Regardless, in undergrad I was a two sport college athlete with above a 3.0. I showed that I could effectively time manage two MAJOR commitments and be a voted a leader in the process.

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
I have already graduated so my GPA is stuck how it is. That is my point. Should I get my masters to show I can produce higher gpa. Regardless, in undergrad I was a two sport college athlete with above a 3.0. I showed that I could effectively time manage two MAJOR commitments and be a voted a leader in the process.
They take your overall GPA if I’m not mistaken so if you got another degree getting a higher GPA would boost the overall. As many others would say too, your PFAR score is the biggest factor. PFAR predicts a candidate making it through flight school, they’re not going to really look at you being an athlete and voted a leader. They need people who will finish flight school.

druteague

They take your overall GPA if I’m not mistaken so if you got another degree getting a higher GPA would boost the overall. As many others would say too, your PFAR score is the biggest factor. PFAR predicts a candidate making it through flight school, they’re not going to really look at you being an athlete and voted a leader. They need people who will finish flight school.
I included the athlete and a leader because ultimately they want someone who is going to be a quality officer (leader) within the navy. Of course PFAR is the most important but I do believe having leadership experiences and noosing your "overall person" status is helpful. I have heard from several high up officers that that experience will look favorable on my application but who knows, I guess it all depends.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Good Evening,

Due to adhd medication I took in the past, I have 12 months until I can get into the pipeline of creating an OCS package. That means realistically I have 18 months to improve my resume as much as possible. I graduated college with a 3.05 and was a two-sport NCAA athlete (rugby and lacrosse) while being voted the college lacrosse team captain. I am also pursuing my private pilot license. What other steps should I take other than preparing for the asvab and doing well that would make me competitive? (Volunteer work, other involvement, etc.)

A couple things to keep in mind

1. I got an F my last semester of college but I got accepted into the MBA program at my school. I am concerned about that F and I want to redeem it with getting good masters grades. I have received mixed opinions on this matter.. but should I spend the money and seek to get my MBA (while getting good grades), or is it not worth the money? Essentially what I am asking is how much will that help me and if you were in my shoes would you get the MBA.

What if I told you… there’s a search function to either find your answer or find similar threads to ask?

Mouselovr

Contributor
ASTB >>>>>> GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

Study up.

They don't have time to look at your transcript. They will likely only see the 3.05. Having a masters coming in won't hurt you as it could boost your GPA. Joining the working world won't help or hurt you. However, you need to do well on the ASTB over all else.

Last edited: