• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need advice for next steps after OCS rejection

whitedog

I submitted an application recently for SWO and Intel. I'm being told Intel is now closed. SWO results are not out yet (official results should come out next week), but I spoke to my OR this afternoon and based on whathe's told me, it seems very very likely that I was rejected for SWO.

OAR 57
GPA 3.56 Political Science from a top 30 school
Male
27 years old
Lot of volunteer and leadership experience

I originally signed up to dual process. But the more I think about it, I don't know if I would enjoy enlisting. I've been living on own for 10+ years now, and I can't imagine living with a roommate in the barracks. I worked for 3 years as a Project Manager, where I was in charge of 2 separate teams. I think I might have a hard time being screamed at like I'm 17. My OR told me he was very surprised at what he was seeing. He said I checked all the boxes. Cannot understand why I would be rejected.

So now I'm not really sure what I should do. Some people have told me that if I enlist, I can apply again to OCS right after A school. Other have told me that I would realistically need to wait about 2 years because they'll want to see my abilities as an enlisted person. I've also heard I need several peoples' approval to even submit an ocs packet and they often don't approve them. But others say it's easier to get picked up for ocs as enlisted.

When talking to my OR, he told me I had the option of lat transferring out of SWO after 2 years to another branch if I wanted. I'm really interested in EOD, Diver, AIRR and have also considered enlisting and trying out for one of those if rejected from OCS. But I heard those schools are very competitive, and that the minimum scores I see online are not acceptable; I would need to get much better numbers. I'm not up to those standards at the moment and I would need to train for maybe 1 more year to comfortably get very high marks. But it wouldn't even be a guarantee that I get into one of those. I also hear officer positions for those 3 are very competitive.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Not sure what to do right now. I do want to become an officer and I'm hearing from some people that I should never enlist. Not sure what my next steps should be.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Your concept of Navy life (O and E) is fundamentally flawed.

That being said, using SWO to get to another designator sounds about as smart as going undesignated so you can pick your rate later…

Enlisted isn’t getting yelled at and open bay berthing the entire time, and boot camp is only 8 weeks (and stupid easy).

I’d keep trying for SWO if you want SWO, otherwise, if you just want to serve, enlist and work hard to get to the top.

Pickle

whitedog

Your concept of Navy life (O and E) is fundamentally flawed.

That being said, using SWO to get to another designator sounds about as smart as going undesignated so you can pick your rate later…

Enlisted isn’t getting yelled at and open bay berthing the entire time, and boot camp is only 8 weeks (and stupid easy).

I’d keep trying for SWO if you want SWO, otherwise, if you just want to serve, enlist and work hard to get to the top.

Pickle
Thanks, I'm not just using SWO to get something else. SWO was my first choice and I wanted to do the job. My OR just mentioned lat transferring to me as an option before, and I'm just trying to look at all my options now.

Larick

None
Contributor
Until official results are actually out, you have not been rejected. I recommend wait for the results, and if its a no, then see what you can do to improve your OCS package, then just keep re-applying for SWO when you're able to. They'll eventually say yes

whitedog

Until official results are actually out, you have not been rejected. I recommend to just keep re-applying.
That is true. My OR just seems pretty sure I was rejected. I heard I would need to wait 6 months before reapplying right?

Larick

None
Contributor
I might be getting this confused with the ASTB, @exNavyOffRec or someone please correct me, but yes you would need to wait 6 months before re-applying unless there is a drastic change in your package.

exNavyOffRec

I submitted an application recently for SWO and Intel. I'm being told Intel is now closed. SWO results are not out yet (official results should come out next week), but I spoke to my OR this afternoon and based on whathe's told me, it seems very very likely that I was rejected for SWO.

OAR 57
GPA 3.56 Political Science from a top 30 school
Male
27 years old
Lot of volunteer and leadership experience

I originally signed up to dual process. But the more I think about it, I don't know if I would enjoy enlisting. I've been living on own for 10+ years now, and I can't imagine living with a roommate in the barracks. I worked for 3 years as a Project Manager, where I was in charge of 2 separate teams. I think I might have a hard time being screamed at like I'm 17. My OR told me he was very surprised at what he was seeing. He said I checked all the boxes. Cannot understand why I would be rejected.

So now I'm not really sure what I should do. Some people have told me that if I enlist, I can apply again to OCS right after A school. Other have told me that I would realistically need to wait about 2 years because they'll want to see my abilities as an enlisted person. I've also heard I need several peoples' approval to even submit an ocs packet and they often don't approve them. But others say it's easier to get picked up for ocs as enlisted.

When talking to my OR, he told me I had the option of lat transferring out of SWO after 2 years to another branch if I wanted. I'm really interested in EOD, Diver, AIRR and have also considered enlisting and trying out for one of those if rejected from OCS. But I heard those schools are very competitive, and that the minimum scores I see online are not acceptable; I would need to get much better numbers. I'm not up to those standards at the moment and I would need to train for maybe 1 more year to comfortably get very high marks. But it wouldn't even be a guarantee that I get into one of those. I also hear officer positions for those 3 are very competitive.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Not sure what to do right now. I do want to become an officer and I'm hearing from some people that I should never enlist. Not sure what my next steps should be.
You have a good GPA, school really doesn't matter.

Unless you just want to serve keep trying for Officer, like pickle said a lat transfer is not a good plan. EOD generally takes only from enlisted EOD and then they tend to come close to maxing out the every part of the PST. Divers are not really an officer thing, yes there are a few but the ones I have heard of are CEC officers that then become divers, AIRR are only enlisted so there is no officer position for those.

Some of the things your OR has said to you make me wonder if they are really an OR or an enlisted recruiter playing OR, what is his rank?

Living with a roommate in the barracks as enlisted, well if assigned to a ship try living with what will be your 50 closest friends.

Sometimes good people end up not getting selected for one reason or another, I had one like that it was a head scratcher and the person was picked up on the second try.

whitedog

You have a good GPA, school really doesn't matter.

Unless you just want to serve keep trying for Officer, like pickle said a lat transfer is not a good plan. EOD generally takes only from enlisted EOD and then they tend to come close to maxing out the every part of the PST. Divers are not really an officer thing, yes there are a few but the ones I have heard of are CEC officers that then become divers, AIRR are only enlisted so there is no officer position for those.

Some of the things your OR has said to you make me wonder if they are really an OR or an enlisted recruiter playing OR, what is his rank?

Living with a roommate in the barracks as enlisted, well if assigned to a ship try living with what will be your 50 closest friends.

Sometimes good people end up not getting selected for one reason or another, I had one like that it was a head scratcher and the person was picked up on the second try.
I believe his rank is LT. But I don't know too much about his background in the navy. He says he doesn't know how many people will get selected from my board and told me official results would be out probably next week. My understanding is that next swo board is in november. What things would make me eligible for that board? I've heard higher GPA, higher OAR score but is there anything else? New certifications for example? I'm not really interested in other designators, I always wanted swo.

Edit: is it also true that it's harder to get in as enlisted? I keep hearing that. Also hear that it's easier. Or does it completely depend on your unit and no way to say for sure?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Navy Diver and AIRR are enlisted rates. You can’t do them as an officer, but you can become dive-qualified as an officer

If your goal is to be an officer, don’t enlist. Reapply (and self improve).

EOD is hyper competitive.

I would look at SWO again, and whatever other naval officer programs you are eligible for.

exNavyOffRec

I believe his rank is LT. But I don't know too much about his background in the navy. He says he doesn't know how many people will get selected from my board and told me official results would be out probably next week. My understanding is that next swo board is in november. What things would make me eligible for that board? I've heard higher GPA, higher OAR score but is there anything else? New certifications for example? I'm not really interested in other designators, I always wanted swo.

Edit: is it also true that it's harder to get in as enlisted? I keep hearing that. Also hear that it's easier. Or does it completely depend on your unit and no way to say for sure?

There is actually a document that tells him how many they will select per board, and next week is probably a good estimate.

In general what will make a person eligible or that falls under "significant change" is change in OAR or GPA.

It is not easier as enlisted have a ton of hoops to jump through in order to apply, and then on top of that the command could have extra hoops such as some CO's have wanted people to be qualified on their watchstations, or have their enlisted warfare pin, or have at least one periodic evaluation. A good estimate is 2 years after entering as enlisted you could be submitting an application, some are earlier and some are later.