• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs. MC NFO slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinRob82

Which service is it more likely to get an F18 slot in (for NFO)? Can you request Hornets or Prowlers in the MC, or do they randomly assign you to one or the other? Any help would be appreciated...I hope to start OCS after I graduate this spring but haven't decided which service to join.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which service is it more likely to get an F18 slot in (for NFO)? Can you request Hornets or Prowlers in the MC, or do they randomly assign you to one or the other? Any help would be appreciated...I hope to start OCS after I graduate this spring but haven't decided which service to join.

Do a search and you will get a lot of info. A lot of it depends on timing, how you do in flight school and luck.

Casual

Jammin'
None
As far as Navy NFOs vs Marine NFOs, you're much more likely to get a hornet slot as a Marine. Navy NFOs have to make it past the P-3/E-6 selection, and then the E-2 selection before they can even select between Prowlers and Hornets. Marines only have one selection, Prowlers or Hornets.

Reactions: Tom

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine Corps NFO program is limited by the shelf life of the F/A-18D and EA-6B. You might want to look at it from that angle as well. Flash is correct, please use the search function to find your answers.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Crowbar

None
As far as Navy NFOs vs Marine NFOs, you're much more likely to get a hornet slot as a Marine. Navy NFOs have to make it past the P-3/E-6 selection, and then the E-2 selection before they can even select between Prowlers and Hornets. Marines only have one selection, Prowlers or Hornets.

I know the thread is already locked, and I'm not trying to bash you and get the last word in, but I wanted to clear this up.

While part of what you say is correct, it doesn't tell the entire story. It's true that Marines don't have to worry about a P-3 or E-2 draft, but when they do select, they have pretty even odds of getting what they want. The latest couple of AVPLANs have shown WSO/ECMO production numbers being split almost 50/50 over the next couple of years.

Also, don't pick which service is right for you based on a perception that it will be easier to get the aircraft you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.