• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs Marine PRT

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
OK, I've talked to a Marine officer recruiter in person in depth, and the Navy guy I've only talked to on the phone, although fairly in depth.

My question is...so even though they have similar application procedures (i.e. same test), they use a different PFT test?

The Marine recruiter gave me a PFT list that for a perfect 300 you need to run 3 miles in under 18 mins, do 20 pullups, and 100 situps.

Now, at this link here it leads me to believe (for a 25 yr old male such as myself):

For a perfect score, I just need to do 105 sit ups, run 1.5 miles in under 8:30 and do 87 pushups? *wipes brow*

I guess I'm just looking for verification so I'm preparing the right way (for the Navy). Sorry if this is confusing. :)

*edit* Or is that link for the PRT after you are in, because I am referring the the PFT you do as part of the SNA/SNFO application process...*edit*

Lawman

None
You need a 18 minute 3 mile, 100 crunches, and 20 pullups for a perfect score. You need at least a 225 (first class PFT) to be passing at OCS. The standards dont change till you hit 27.

OneOddGuy

OK, the pullups and situps I'm not as worried about, but that run is going to be hard.

Lawman

None
OneOddGuy said:
OK, the pullups and situps I'm not as worried about, but that run is going to be hard.

Dont sweat it to bad. You dont have to get a perfect score, you just need a 225. If you can max the pullups and crunches (key differnce here, crunches not situps) you can just pass the run at 24 minutes and be fine. Im not a fast guy by any standard but Ive got enough of a buffer with the other two scores that I dont have to worry to much about it so long as I pass. Key thing is get out and run, and run, and run some more. I had a hard time just finishing when I started running it. But a very large very angry SSgt was enough motivation for me to start running more and more. Now 3 miles isnt a problem. Just work on getting the distance then work on getting the speed. If you can run 5 miles at a good pace (not drag ass jogging) you can run 3 fast enough to pass. From there its just try and beat that time every time.

OneOddGuy

Lawman said:
I had a hard time just finishing when I started running it. But a very large very angry SSgt was enough motivation for me to start running more and more.

Was this during your recruitment process or in OCS or what?

Lawman

None
OneOddGuy said:
Was this during your recruitment process or in OCS or what?

This was while getting my packet together. SSgt Juarez is a competition Power Lifter and I think at one point held a title or two in the Marine Corps for it. The man never really yelled at you for making him mad, more just had this unmistakable, disappointed, "Id like to tear your F'ing head off for wasting my time to observe your failing PFT," tone of voice. Really made you want to not do that again.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Lawman,

When did you know SSgt Juarez? Is he a shorter guy? We have a SSgt by that name here with us.

Lawman

None
HighDimension said:
Lawman,

When did you know SSgt Juarez? Is he a shorter guy? We have a SSgt by that name here with us.

He only had about 5 months left to go when I started working out of the Kent OSO in March. And no he isnt a shorter guy. My first phone call with my dad on "How'd it go with the Marines" I was just like "Dad this guys Huge." And my father was all "Well hes a Marine." And to that I was like "Yeah but dad I have known plenty of Marines this guy is Huge for a Marine."

Juarez looked like a Puerto Rican version of "The Swede" from Heart Break Ridge. He also has this pinkish birth mark over a good part of his face. If this guy is short to you you'd have to be about 11 and a half feet tall.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Lawman said:
He only had about 5 months left to go when I started working out of the Kent OSO in March. And no he isnt a shorter guy. My first phone call with my dad on "How'd it go with the Marines" I was just like "Dad this guys Huge." And my father was all "Well hes a Marine." And to that I was like "Yeah but dad I have known plenty of Marines this guy is Huge for a Marine."

Juarez looked like a Puerto Rican version of "The Swede" from Heart Break Ridge. He also has this pinkish birth mark over a good part of his face. If this guy is short to you you'd have to be about 11 and a half feet tall.

I dont scare easily but he did scare me into running faster. I was origionally going to try to get into the Navy program and then switched to the Marines. He was the first Marine that I met and my first thought was "God, are they all that huge?".