• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vet/reservist Has some BDCP/OCS questions.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
First and foremost I would like to say hello to everyone on this site. This is my first post here and very glad I found it. I am writing this post in hopes of getting some initial information/guidance on the BDCP Program.. A little background about me first..

-I am 26 years old and served 6 years Active duty navy 00-06.

-I got out as an E-5 (IT2 (SW/AW)) Still actively hold a TS/SCI clearance. Perfomed nothing less then excellent on all PFA's and Have nothing less then 4.0 Evals.

-On the civilian side of the house, I work for the federal government (F.A.A) and voulenteer in various charities and events whenever I have the free time.

-Currently in the Navy reserves under RESCORE to cross to IS2 and will be potentially drilling in CENTCOM

-In the progress of finishing my Bacholers on Political Science (I am over halfway complete with my degree 62 semhrs.) My GPA is a 3.3 and rising.

Basically, I am interested once completed with my B.A. in going back active duty as a commissioned officer in the Intel field. I spoke with a recruiter about this and to be frank they were very unprofessional and disrespectful when I told them my intentions. (I wont mention names or locations b/c thats unprofessional) Anyhow I tried to get some information and paperwork on the BDCP program and I was kinda wisked away to the side and told to go look at navyjobs.com like I was some joe on the street. I have a few questions and I was really hoping some of the knowledgeable people that frequent this site could really help me out.

1. My civilian job has me doing training in Oklahoma City alot (in fact I will be up there most of the beginning of the year) And due to some scheduling conflicts I will not be able to submit for the Feb. 09 BDCP Intel Board. Which is ok becuase I need time to get things together. With that said could anyone tell me when the next board is conveining for BDCP Intel?

2. Following up on the first question... Is there any websites you can direct me to get the initial paperwork I need to start the application process? Coming from active duty and app'ing for STA-21 a few times I realize these programs are rather lengthy and just my nature of being proactive I would like to get the ball rolling on this..

3. Apologize my ignorance on this question, but since I am app'ing for a non aviation position do I have to take my ASTB for intel? If so what are some reccomended study sites. and WHEN should I be taking this? I am currently in Sophmore/Junior status in College.

4. Just by what I mentioned above with my background and academic standing, could someone who got picked up recently or a more experienced officer who sits on these boards tell me if I seem like a viable competitor?

5. FINALLY (Sorry about the lengthy thread guys and gals) If I do not get picked up for BDCP and I finish my degree.. When should I start the process of apping for OCS? Senior year? Or after I graduated? And on that note I will most likely be 29-30 at that time.. Is that age acceptable to goto OCS?

Any help on these questions esp. the one about the paperwork would be greatly appreciated.

-Doug

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...Intel field. I spoke with a recruiter about this and to be frank they were very unprofessional and disrespectful when I told them my intentions.

-Doug

Are you in the active reserves (ie., are drilling each month)? Did you speak with an officer recruiter or with an enlisted recruiter?

If you spoke with an enlisted recruiter, get the contact info for the officer recruiter for your district and schedule an appointment to go see him/her.

If you plan on meeting the officer recruiter face-to-face, ensure you are wearing your uniform or are wearing a suit and tie. In either case, look squared-away!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
1. January.
2. Get in touch with an Officer Recruiter.
3. For Intel you do have to take the ASTB to my knowledge. Initially when I applied Intel was my third choice and they told me I needed to take it for that as well as SNA, SNFO.
This site has a ton of information on the ASTB. www.marinegouge.com
4. Everyone is a competitor until they get accepted or they quit. Anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke up your ass unless they are an OR or ON THE BOARD.
5. And keep applying until you get in.

Intel is in my opinion probably the most difficult to get accepted into. From what we all know only a handful of guys get picked up each month. Last BDCP Intel guy on this forum was OccamsRazor. Might want to ask him what he thinks.

Good luck.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the reply guys.

Bubblehead- Yes I just affilliated with the reserves drilling. And it was another petty officer I spoke with but they were an officer recruiter. It was over the phone but I will defiantely be looking on point when I go to see them. thanks for the heads up

Boba Fett- Thanks for the info as well.. so just to clearify the BDCP boards are once a year? I was under the impression they held them every few months.. then again that was just hearsay. And just judging by what you just put I am assuming when applying I have an option to pick 3 different fields? i.e. Surface, Intel, etc..

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Thanks for the reply guys.

Boba Fett- Thanks for the info as well.. so just to clearify the BDCP boards are once a year? I was under the impression they held them every few months.. then again that was just hearsay. And just judging by what you just put I am assuming when applying I have an option to pick 3 different fields? i.e. Surface, Intel, etc..

Every month for the most part. Boards didn't meet in December for Aviation as far as I know. Intel is generally every month. And yes you can put up to 3 choices but don't feel like you have to. If ultimately what you want to be is a Naval Officer put 3 choices, but if you are deadset on Intel I suggest putting that and only that. The choice is all yours.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
anyone happen to know the age limits for OCS for intel? I am 26 currently and will be 29 around graduation

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
Sent a PM. BDCP Intel is pretty tough, but you'll never know until you apply. I got lucky, they had a spot, I got it over a bunch of (I'm sure) extremely qualified candidates. Keep applying until you can't, and then apply for OCS normally if it's what you really want to do. Best of luck!

JKD

And it was another petty officer I spoke with but they were an officer recruiter.

I've never heard of an enlisted officer recruiter (If I'm reading your post correctly).

I agree with the other posts:
- Talk to an Officer Recruiter. If you can't find the one that covers your area - send me a PM.
- Take the ASTB. back-up one step - Study for the ASTB. Then take. Your score will impact how aggressive the recruiter will work with and for you.
- Let your reserve chain of command know your intentions. They may be able to assign you more challenging jobs / positions to develop additional leadership skills. They can then build your EVALs to reflect your progress.
- Stick with it. It took me SEVERAL applications before getting picked-up (and it ended up being on DIRCOM instead of OCS)

As far as age for Intel goes - its one of the higher age limits. I'm not sure if its still the Title 10 age limit of 35 still or not. The Officer Recruiter will know the current limit.

Good luck.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I've never heard of an enlisted officer recruiter (If I'm reading your post correctly).

My DIRCOM (Direct Commissioning Officer) recruiter is an E-6... His boss is an O-4...

- Take the ASTB. back-up one step - Study for the ASTB. Then take. Your score will impact how aggressive the recruiter will work with and for you.

I agree in substance, however, the aggressiveness of his recruiter will also be determined by his current qualifications and overall competitiveness. But, yes, try to score the highest you possibly can so that you can concentrate on your application.

- Stick with it. It took me SEVERAL applications before getting picked-up (and it ended up being on DIRCOM instead of OCS)

++1

As far as age for Intel goes - its one of the higher age limits. I'm not sure if its still the Title 10 age limit of 35 still or not. The Officer Recruiter will know the current limit.

Here is the most recent gouge that I have from my recruiter for the DIRCOM program. Specifically, for Intelligence:

the age cutoff for Intel right now is 39 without prior
service and 41 with. I have not personally seen the age requirements for intel change in the last two years.
If you are prior enlisted, you receive credit for "time served" towards your retirement. That is, if you have 6 years in, you can retire as an officer at the 14 year mark or continue until you hit 60.

If you have any questions about the DIRCOM program, please PM me. Here's my current status, if you're interested (http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=505662&postcount=2)