• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy updates Medical waiver process

Goodfou

I don’t remember seeing anyone else post up on this. It will be interesting to see how this impacts waiver approvals, if at all.

BroskiOCS

I don’t remember seeing anyone else post up on this. It will be interesting to see how this impacts waiver approvals, if at all.

I am a perfect example of how this update has impacted the medical waiver process. Back in August of 2018 I submitted my entire OCS package for SWO. After a couple emails back and forth with N3M requesting additional documents I was ultimately found NPQ for numerous reasons. Fast forward to February of this year when I saw this update to the medical waiver process. The next working day I called Mr. Celestin and was advised to redo the commissioning physical and submit again. While I did make a couple changes (stop taking two medications), everything else remained the same. I had to submit a couple additional documents to N3M but in April of this year my waivers were approved. I put so much work into getting my package together and was devastated by my NPQ letter. This update to the medical waiver process gave me hope and resulted in my medical qualification. If any prior has experienced the same difficulties with disqualifying conditions, it is absolutely worth it to give it another go.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
I am a perfect example of how this update has impacted the medical waiver process. Back in August of 2018 I submitted my entire OCS package for SWO. After a couple emails back and forth with N3M requesting additional documents I was ultimately found NPQ for numerous reasons. Fast forward to February of this year when I saw this update to the medical waiver process. The next working day I called Mr. Celestin and was advised to redo the commissioning physical and submit again. While I did make a couple changes (stop taking two medications), everything else remained the same. I had to submit a couple additional documents to N3M but in April of this year my waivers were approved. I put so much work into getting my package together and was devastated by my NPQ letter. This update to the medical waiver process gave me hope and resulted in my medical qualification. If any prior has experienced the same difficulties with disqualifying conditions, it is absolutely worth it to give it another go.
Same situation here. Are you doing a new package?

BroskiOCS

Same situation here. Are you doing a new package?
I was informed by the Fleet Processor (prior enlisted folks officer recruiter equivalent) that I only needed to turn in any additional documents since my package was previously submitted. I am currently on the SWO board set to commence on 24 June 2019.

MockingbirdT

I was informed by the Fleet Processor (prior enlisted folks officer recruiter equivalent) that I only needed to turn in any additional documents since my package was previously submitted. I am currently on the SWO board set to commence on 24 June 2019.
Would love to hear if you were selected for SWO. I love when folks show persistence. I hope you were. Let us know!

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
I'm happy for you! Congratulations!!That makes me really excited and even more hopeful! I submitted my package for the 19 AUG board. The same thing happened to me in Sep 17 with N3M. I got a lawyer and finally received word from the surgeon general staff suggesting I reapply but that CNRC would have the final say.

How long did it take for medical clearance after sending your additional medical documentation?

BroskiOCS

I'm happy for you! Congratulations!!That makes me really excited and even more hopeful! I submitted my package for the 19 AUG board. The same thing happened to me in Sep 17 with N3M. I got a lawyer and finally received word from the surgeon general staff suggesting I reapply but that CNRC would have the final say.

How long did it take for medical clearance after sending your additional medical documentation?
I hope you get cleared! Well they requested additional documents twice. Each time I would send what they requested and would hear back within a week or so.

BroskiOCS

So for everyone that has read this article....you know that the Surgeon General named this renewed medical waiver process in honor of Senior Chief Shannon Kent. If you research further, you learn that this waiver process was put into place posthumously only because Senior Chief's husband (and close relatives) fought to change the process by putting pressure on the Navy. I have no doubt that this new waiver process is what allowed me to reapply after I was previously NPQ, found physically qualified, and ultimately recommended for commission. While Senior Chief's family was informed earlier this year that the Navy will adjust their waiver protocols, I'm not sure if they know the actual impact of their actions. I have searched online in an attempt to find a way to contact her family and/or husband to let them know that their tireless efforts weren't for nothing. Would anyone happen to know Senior Chief Kent or have any ideas on how I could go about finding a way to contact her family? It may sound kind of crazy but I think they would appreciate hearing my story and what they have done for prior enlisted Sailors facing the same troubles as she did.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
Any luck on getting info? I'd like to extend my appreciation as well. I just received PQ letter yesterday and had been previously medically disqualified in 2017.

BroskiOCS

Any luck on getting info? I'd like to extend my appreciation as well. I just received PQ letter yesterday and had been previously medically disqualified in 2017.
Nope I haven't heard anything yet. I'm gonna see if I can find someone in the CTI field at work to see if they may be able to help.