• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwalker

On ea6bflyr's question 3:
I didn't see anyone mention this; I think John Ericsson invented the cannon that burst while secnav and secwar were watching the demo. That incident kind of strained his relationship with the government a little. Thankfully, someone [Gustavus Fox?] prevailed on Gideon Welles to bring Ericsson on in the Navy's moment of need: he designed the USS Monitor.

dwalker

Well, I guess I should have read pages 2,3,4,5, and 6 of this forum before posting..didn't realize they were there. I'm not a salty forum member yet.
And it looks like I was wrong, to boot. But Ericsson was involved in a similar incident, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway:
1. What was the only carrier built entirely on funds raised through war bonds during WWII?

2. What Carrier's name commemorated FDR's response to reporters who asked about the place from which "Doolittle's Raiders" were launched [actually the USS Hornet]?

Status
Not open for further replies.