• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or National Guard

Kawika

Good evening aviators. apologies in advance if this is an idiotic thread. I am a senior in high school, and am stuck choosing between which branch I want to create a career in. Like every other person in this site, I want to pursue jets. I love the navy's mission and I was inspired by the Blues at a young age. It would be a dream to inspire others like I was. But acquiring jets in the navy is like "dark magic" such as your NSS or how ever many slots are open in your squadron when you select that week, or where your placed for primary etc. (Needs of the navy). I dont know much about the national guard, but Ive heard rumors of choosing what you fly before going to flight school, and that ANG fighter pilots only fly a few days out of the month. My mother is also a flight attendant for Hawaiian Airlines and told me about a pilot who thought flying commercial was boring and became a fighter pilot for the guard. made it sound so easy. Being a (HS) senior I would like to know where I should go if id like to fly jets before committing to a branch such as NROTC in college, which ive already applied to. Here's the dumb question... I spent a lot of time engrossed in navy and was wondering if I chose to pursue becoming a NA, but with luck of the draw I didnt pick up tail-hook in primary, and got my second choice, after I serve till the end of my contract in the navy, would I be able to transfer to the national guard and try for jets and go to flight school again?
P.S. I just wanted to add I love reading all these forums and really appreciate you oldies helping out the youngsters on the site trying to achieve their dreams.

Last edited: