• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Marines?

Clements

I'm 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I want to go through NROTC and be a naval aviator, but I'm not sure whether to do it in the Navy or the Marine Corps. I've talked to the Marine recruiter at my school, but he was biased towards the Marines (they never brought in a Navy recruiter), so I thought I would try to get opinions from both sides. I was told to make my decision and apply towards the end of my junior year, so I need to make my decision soon. I would appreciate any help I could get.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's lots of threads around the site regarding the differences between the two services so first poke around those and if you have specific questions you can't find answers to, by all means ask. Bottom line, you need to figure out if you want to be in the Navy or Marines, not necessarily serving as an aviator. Going through NROTC you are by no means guaranteed aviation. Find out more about the other jobs you could do in the services and decide if you would be OK being a SWO or submariner in the Navy or a ground pounder in the Marines, for example, if you didn't get aviation or weren't qualified for it. Also take a look at service culture, etc. Additionally, in NROTC it is possible (difficult, but doable) to switch between Navy and Marine option if you desire. When I was a mid we had a bunch of people do it as they learned more about the other service through ROTC and decided the other service would be a better fit.

Clements

I know that NROTC won't guarantee aviation, which is why I am leaning towards Marines, but I am still strongly considering Navy. Thank you for the advice. Do you know, if I get into NROTC, when am I assigned if I do aviation or not? Is it during or after?

azguy

None
I know that NROTC won't guarantee aviation, which is why I am leaning towards Marines, but I am still strongly considering Navy. Thank you for the advice. Do you know, if I get into NROTC, when am I assigned if I do aviation or not? Is it during or after?

For Navy, you find out in your senior year. So yes, too late to leave if you're not happy with what you are assigned. Best advice is what CommodoreMid said- ask yourself, would you rather be a Navy SWO/Submariner or a Marine ground (Logistics/Intel/Infantry) Officer? Even more apropos, ask yourself would you rather fly in the Marines or Navy? You can search and find tons of info on here about the differences between pilots in the two services.

User1993

I'm also an aspiring Naval Aviator. For me my choice has been made on wich branch I have a better shot at getting an SNA contract in. Also what you'd like to fly. I'm into Harriers, so naturally the Marines is a better choice for me. Obviously I realize that IF I make it to the point where I can write down what I'd like to fly that ultimately what they need me to fly will be what I end up flying. I feel like either way though everyone enjoys flying what ever it is they get stuck with. I have my preferences but I'd be happy flying anything.

A7Dave

pilot
Gentleman, one option you may have is the Sea Cadet program. I have no personal experience as a Sea Cadet. However, I dealt with the Sea Cadets while organizing and air show as well as through work with a local Navy League.

It is like a JROTC program. But, the bonus is that they go on summer training with the Navy. So, you can dip your toe in the pond and see what it's like:

http://www.seacadets.org/training/

Through the Sea Cadets, you can attend a summer training at various Navy facilities around the country.

Additionally, there is a summer training session available to qualified applicants at the Naval Academy:

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/NASS/index.php

The Marine Corps apparently has a summer course as well:

https://www.facebook.com/MarinesSLCDA
http://www.mcrc.marines.mil/UnitHome/SLCDA.aspx

If you aren't doing it already, you should consider and apply for the Naval Academy. The application and selection process will help focus you on your goals. I began my planning when I was 15. Starting early is great. It will tell you if you need to improve your study habits and social group (i.e., don't hang out with derelicts and stoners).

There are huge opportunities that didn't exist before. You just need to study hard and put yourself in the driver seat.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel like either way though everyone enjoys flying what ever it is they get stuck with assigned to. I have my preferences but I'd be happy flying anything.
I would hope so; otherwise, it would be a long and unpleasant 8+ years in one's life!:eek:
BzB

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Gentleman, one option you may have is the Sea Cadet program.

If you want more information on the USNSCC, drop me a PM. We have a 'Battalion' of Cadets that work with my Detachment/share space. Additionally my husband (AD SWO) is a former Cadet and is now the XO of the aforementioned Battalion.

Clements

I just recently started looking into Civil Air Patrol. Even though it is technically for the air force, I thought it would give me a much better chance at getting accepted into NROTC and after that, aviation.

Do you think the sea cadet program would be a better choice for me?

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Don't worry. Between now and the time you join (or decide not to) you may change your mind 10 times, and that's ok.