• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Marines

sundevil

I plan to apply to join either the Navy or USMC as a pilot. I have a general idea about some differences between the two in terms of the mission differences. I do have a few questions though if anyone can help.

Do either the Navy or Marines offer a better chance for jets? I understand that the spots fluctuate quite a bit and timing is important, but does either one have an advantage over the other? Both have about a third in fixed wing aircraft, right?

Deployments- How often are the Navy guys on deployments over say, a five year span? They are generally 6 months, right?

Are most Marine jet pilots, or all Marine pilots, for that matter, deployed to sea with the Navy at one time or another? Are some Marine jet pilots never deployed to sea? How does this shake out i.e. how much influence is a request worth?

Are PRK vision wavers easier to get for one than the other? I had the procedure a month ago and am seeing fine so far.

Finally (last one I promise) if you get in the jet pipeline can you request Meridian and Kingsville? The reason I ask this somewhat random question is I am from Meridian and would like to be there if possible. Would the Navy or Marines frown on someone going to pilot training in their hometown?:confused: :confused:

aoddboy

SMNA
my $0.02

good questions. all valid when decideing what to do with the next 8 years of your life. the following is just my opinion, and any estimates I give about aircraft selection are very time critical and may not be valid next week, more less next year. and that's probably as good as most people without more insight, than a student, can give.

as far as deciding Navy or Marines: its the same decision I had to go through my senior year in college and it kept me up at nites. once i realized the Marines mission, I couldn't resist. The climate is very similiar from an USN sqdn vs. a USMC sqdn, minus some differences in organizational culture. If you like our Mission, espirit de corps, and culture, then be a Marine. Just understand that you'll be a Marine officer first, not a pilot first. If you can get on board with that, go for it, if you like the Navy mission/culture, which is also awesome. do that. my point: don't select based on ur chances of getting jets, because you may find out, like some of my friends did that you may not get jets, now ur stuck in a spot in which, u really don't want to be.

That being said, I'd say that the way the numbers are working out, Marines that want jets and have the minimum score, get them. Its not extremely competitive for those spots cause there are enough. Some of my flight school classmates that have "jet grades" may not get jets due to what's available or needed. take that with a grain and the fact that the service's needs change EVERY WEEK. hopefully this helps.

phrogpilot73

In the Marine Corps, about 60-70% (don't know the actual number off the top of my head) of pilots are helo guys. Not that it's bad, we have more fun than the jet guys! ;)

Seriously, look at the whole mission of the Navy and the Marine Corps before you choose a service. Your chances of jets in the Navy and the Marine Corps are about the same, and based almost exclusively on the needs of the service. Look at what you're going to do when you're not flying. Case in point - I'm making this post while sitting in a Battalion COC at Fort AP Hill. I get to watch my beloved Phrog fly - but no stick time. The life of a Marine that's not in the cockpit.