• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS Chances

Nick_jck

Hey everyone. I am currently a full time student at Sacramento State University. I have three semesters left until I graduate with a bachelors degree in Organizational Communications. I know that my degree is non technical but I am very passionate about leadership and I have a calling to serve my country. I have begun the process for my Navy OCS packet. I added this thread to get some advice and to learn more about what my chances are. Here are a few factors of mine: 3.5 gpa, B.A. in Organizational Comminucations, recieved an OAR score of 46, and have letters of recommendation from 2 Air Force Lt Colonels and 1 Navy Commander. I would like to be a PAO, SWO, or Supply but ultimately I just want to commission and serve. What are my chances?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
42%

This has to be the stupidest question that is always asked. Who the fuck knows? Every person is different. On any given day, what the Navy wants is different. Who sits on the board is different. The only correct answer is 0% if you don't apply. And if you do apply, asking this dumb ass question won't change the outcome.

This need for constant positive reinforcement before doing anything is getting rediculous. Toughen the fuck up buttercup and just send in your application.

(This isn't directed at you personally but is just a general statement.)

Last edited:

Nick_jck

I agree and I appreciate that. I understand that it is uncertain in terms of my chances but based on my standing I was just curious to see if my standing is good. My recruiter is encouraging me to retest to get above a 50 on my OAR because he see's that as one of my weaker areas. Im debating on retesting because typically im not that great on exams.

exNavyOffRec

I agree and I appreciate that. I understand that it is uncertain in terms of my chances but based on my standing I was just curious to see if my standing is good. My recruiter is encouraging me to retest to get above a 50 on my OAR because he see's that as one of my weaker areas. Im debating on retesting because typically im not that great on exams.

unless you personally know the AF LT Cols and USN CDR you might as well toss them, they won't be able to speak about what they have seen you do, you would be better off with LOR's from professors and ideally employers.

Just submit, your GPA is good and why miss a board while waiting to retest. FYI your best chance is SWO, PAO rarely takes civilian applicants, and they only have one board per year with the next one being Nov 2016

Nick_jck

unless you personally know the AF LT Cols and USN CDR you might as well toss them, they won't be able to speak about what they have seen you do, you would be better off with LOR's from professors and ideally employers.

Just submit, your GPA is good and why miss a board while waiting to retest. FYI your best chance is SWO, PAO rarely takes civilian applicants, and they only have one board per year with the next one being Nov 2016
I know them personally because of my volunteer involvement with jrotc units and rotc. I wouldn't mind applying for SWO, ultimately I just want to serve as an officer. Ok thank you for the advice.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey everyone. I am currently a full time student at Sacramento State University. I have three semesters left until I graduate with a bachelors degree in Organizational Communications. I know that my degree is non technical but I am very passionate about leadership and I have a calling to serve my country. I have begun the process for my Navy OCS packet. I added this thread to get some advice and to learn more about what my chances are. Here are a few factors of mine: 3.5 gpa, B.A. in Organizational Comminucations, recieved an OAR score of 46, and have letters of recommendation from 2 Air Force Lt Colonels and 1 Navy Commander. I would like to be a PAO, SWO, or Supply but ultimately I just want to commission and serve. What are my chances?

What has your recruiter told you? Similar to HAL in which I'm not venting directly to you, but you have a direct point of contact who can help you out. Going off the fact that you put down two programs that you have a very slim chance of getting accepted, my suggestion is that you haven't talked it over in detail with your recruiter.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Rarely is an understatement for PAO. Don't bother applying unless you're an enlisted MC or have SIGNIFICANT mass communications experience.

Nick_jck

Recruiter did say it is hard to get PAO but I didn't know it was that hard. SWO I know is in demand so I can see that as a possibility.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Can we get a sticky about "what are my chances" threads please? Seems like they slowed down for a while, but it's picked up again.

Recommend all prospective applicants think about what you really want to know, which is usually something along the lines of "Am I qualified?"

Either way, if you want it, go for it, even if it's a long shot.

exNavyOffRec

Can we get a sticky about "what are my chances" threads please? Seems like they slowed down for a while, but it's picked up again.

Recommend all prospective applicants think about what you really want to know, which is usually something along the lines of "Am I qualified?"

Either way, if you want it, go for it, even if it's a long shot.

How about a thread titled: Before you ask "what are my chances" read this thread!

I think the last PAO selection that wasn't an MC or prior service was about 5 years ago, and she was the only one in a long time, then they closed it (unofficially then officially) for a while to all civilians.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Every time a person like you who doesn't take the time to search before posting a thread... an angel loses its wings.

Nick_jck

Every time a person like you who doesn't take the time to search before posting a thread... an angel loses its wings.
No I have done my research but I get mixed answers which leads to confusion so I'm either going to get more confused or questions will be clearified.