• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy legacy Hornets to Marines...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Did the Navy even buy the ability to missionize the rear cockpit? At -106 all of the D's were pilot trainers.

Doubtful. I know we had a handful of the D's at -101 configured as "D+" (missionized/"night attack"), but that served a useful purpose to train RWSO's. Did they do USMC RWSO's at 106/122/125? If not, can't see there being a purpose.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Doubtful. I know we had a handful of the D's at -101 configured as "D+" (missionized/"night attack"), but that served a useful purpose to train RWSO's. Did they do USMC RWSO's at 106/122/125? If not, can't see there being a purpose.
No USMC RWSO's (or IWSO's for that matter) at 106. Can't speak to 122/125 though- but I doubt it there as well.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Besides the RAGS, does the Navy have any D squadrons?
No. Never as far as I know. Too little gas to be a shipboard jet.

I have a hazy memory of an article a few years back about a Navy Chuck VFA taking an -18D on cruise or workups. IIRC it was one of those periods with grab-bag air wing compositions in the mid-late-00's. The gist of it was that they had an NFO CAG but no multi-seat tacair, so the D was taken along as a bag-ex plane. Just stuck in my memory because it seemed like kind of a huge redass just to let a FO CAG hit his thousand traps.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
All USMC WSOs go through 101.

Can't imagine getting beat up legacy Hornets that are due to be struck from the inventory is going to really help all that much. If it does, there won't be that many dudes around to fly them regardless.