• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Intel vs. Surface Warfare

red06

I'm in the process of applying for commission and I'm trying to decide whether my first choice is navy intel or surface warfare. I'm having a tough time deciding. I've read through the threads in the surface warfare and intel officer forums but I'm still having a tough time deciding.

I would appreciate any insight into this tough decision!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, what are you interested in and why? Why are you joining the Navy? What appeals and doesn't appeal to you about each community?

Need a question here.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'm in the process of applying for commission and I'm trying to decide whether my first choice is navy intel or surface warfare. I'm having a tough time deciding. I've read through the threads in the surface warfare and intel officer forums but I'm still having a tough time deciding.

I would appreciate any insight into this tough decision!

I have no idea what you want to do. I know that I'd never want to go SWO ever. Seen too many good people with their spirit crushed over there. Post this question on www.sailorbob.com (or more likely read the posts that pop on the search function) or search google for an Navy intel site. Good luck making the decision and don't look back once you do.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I think it all depends on how much you like powerpoint. No, that is not my charming dry humor coming out, I'm serious.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
If you search on Sailor Bob, you'll find a thread I started about this same question about six months ago. Intel is HIGHLY selective, as opposed to SWO which had about a 50% acceptance rate when I was in the pipeline. I was basically told that if you're the kind of person who can get accepted into Intel, then go with Intel. I put Intel as my #1, SWO as my #2 and was picked up for both. I decided that since Intel was what I ultimately wanted to do, it wouldn't make sense to try to lat-transfer after a few years as a SWO, just pick it up from the beginning.

I see you're in South Bend. Are you working with NRD Chicago? PM me if you have any more questions about this.

SWO Bubba

None
First and foremost, you should definitely follow heart in terms of interest in the job. I know Intel Officers who truly enjoy doing the analysis and love the intel community. I also know great Officers who truly enjoy and love being a SWO - and I'm one of them. I would offer the following points on the Intel Community:

1) Intel is normally not as "sexy" as people think. There is a lot of brute force analysis and mind-numbing reading of various intel sources.

2) I've only seen one Intel Officer (O-6) who was very comfortable giving his opinion on intel analysis. It was very refreshing. Most intel bubbas have perfected the art of CYA in case their "most likely course of action" proves wrong. They present their analysis with so many holes for interpretation that the Commander has a difficult timing making decisions.

3) In my opinion, Intel Officers with warfare pins are generally viewed with higher regard (initially) than those without. They at least have some sense of things from an operators persective. However, those without warfare pins can quickly earn respect through good work and enthusiasm. The best Intel Officers I've worked with have been a mix between warfare qualed and straight intel.

4) Surface Warfare is a great community and you shouldn't take negative comments about SWO life as gospel. Every community has their goods and bads.

5) SWO, Aviation and Sub bubbas command operational units. Intel Officers don't.

6) We are talking about the Navy here and the Navy is made up of ships. Whether you are ship's company, riding as a staffer or flying off of them as an aviator - you'll end up on ships eventually.

Good luck in making this important decision and PM me if need any more information on SWO.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I will tell you that a lot of the comments and thoughts on this thread are right on the money.

That being said, I will give you some observations and issues you might want to consider in making a final selection. Remember, this is coming from my time in a civilian agency, however, the intel discipline is pretty damn consistent no matter where in the USG you fall.

1. You better like to think critically, brief and write. That will be the majority of what you do during your time in intelligence (the Powerpoint comment was dead on). It won't be "sexy" either; you will feel, at times, that you could strip the uniforms/emblems and you'd be left with your typical office envirnoment that could substitute for an insurance company in Peoria, IL (not that there is anything wrong with Peoria, I think...).

2. Do not consider intel if you are not comfortable defending your position and/or calling someone out on a conclusion if you disagree. Remember, your analysis and assessement will be used to make decisions with significant implications. Your analysis/conclusions may lead to bombs being dropped or missiles fired, and most importantly, sailors/US service members putting their lives on the line.

3. Intel is a support function; it allows the warfighters to do their job and decision makers to make that decision. This is not a blanket rule but it is holds a lot of weight. You may be preparing questions for interrogations or debriefing a pilot after the flight but you won't pulling a trigger (unless you are overrun god forbid).

I have three years and change in intel and it has been good while it lasted. Ultimately, it is not for me. I have always wanted to fly and the planets have aligned to make that happen. If that doesn't work out, it will be either Surface Warfare or EOD as they are very hands on and very much "Navy" jobs.

I add that aforementioned comment because a key thing to ask yourself is if you like being a tactical, hands-on, "get a task and knock it out" sort of person or if you are more of a strategic, long-term project oriented person. Not to say that you will never criss-cross the two; it is just the way I have viewed my time in. I have discovered that I really am of the former and want that sort of designator in my Navy career.

Again this is from my experience and may not necessarily jive with those with Navy intel/ONI experience. They are just points to consider when putting down your selectors.

Hope this helps and good luck. Oh and brush up on your Excel and Powerpoint too. Remember, yellow highlights in Excel give the decision-makers bright, smiley faces.

SWO Bubba

None
I add that aforementioned comment because a key thing to ask yourself is if you like being a tactical, hands-on, "get a task and knock it out" sort of person or if you are more of a strategic, long-term project oriented person. Not to say that you will never criss-cross the two; it is just the way I have viewed my time in. I have discovered that I really am of the former and want that sort of designator in my Navy career.

Great point! Most Surface Warfare Officers don't see the cross-cross until they get to a staff either post-Division Officer or post-Department Head. It's then that many see the opportunities to criss-cross the more senior you get. As a SWO LTJG/LT looking to transfer/redesignate or as a OC/Midn about to commission, it's very difficult to have that perspective.