• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy Advanced Multi Engine Trainer Replacement

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Glad to see it. Mr Beech would be proud. King Airs are great damn planes. Nearly 50 years old and one has ever bettered it in class.
I got a chance to fly a brand new King Air 350C with the more powerful motors and Proline Fusion during my last tour in the Navy. Recently I've been flying a PC-12NG and NGX as a contract 135 pilot. No comparison, the PC-12 blows the King Air out of the water. Only thing the latter has going for it is two engines and realistically ~20 KTAS. The problem with sticking with a proven design is that it becomes tired and eventually you run out room to innovate.

Now for this particular mission, it's perfect. But overall the King Airs don't really stack up with the competition.

taxi1

pilot
Only thing the latter has going for it is two engines and realistically ~20 KTAS.

Now for this particular mission, it's perfect.
I know engines never fail any more, and I fly single engine puddle jumpers, but I’ve had 4 engine failures in flight in my career as pilot, and one as a passenger on an USAirways Airbus. All on multi-engine planes so far (knocks on wood).

Would love to fly a PC12, however.

As far as the mission goes, a tailhook and/or tilting engines and it’s truly ready for business.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I saw one painted orange and white with the Navy markings doing bounces at Jax the other day. Looks like it's going to be such a nice upgrade for the folks down at Corpus.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I know engines never fail any more, and I fly single engine puddle jumpers, but I’ve had 4 engine failures in flight in my career as pilot, and one as a passenger on an USAirways Airbus. All on multi-engine planes so far (knocks on wood).
Definitely not knocking multi engine, but the stats around single engine turboprops are pretty wild. Millions of flights hours and a literal handful of engine failures. Plus a lot of "failures" in ME land are precautionary shut downs as opposed to genuine seizures. Still wouldn't want to be single engine out over the middle of the ocean.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I saw one painted orange and white with the Navy markings doing bounces at Jax the other day. Looks like it's going to be such a nice upgrade for the folks down at Corpus.
That may have been the Gitmo station bird, it’s similarly painted. It flies to Jax regularly.

That being said, if it was the T-54, I hope that indicates that we will see it in Corpus sooner than later!

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
That may have been the Gitmo station bird, it’s similarly painted. It flies to Jax regularly.

That being said, if it was the T-54, I hope that indicates that we will see it in Corpus sooner than later!
Could have been, not sure. Regularly see commercial carriers landing at KNIP on their way back from Gitmo though.

Sponge

Soaking up info
pilot
Heard a Sim IP talking about how he had the ins and outs on the replacement about 3 months ago. Seems like it'll be a nice upgrade from the beloved T-44!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So apparently the King Air is the exception to the rule where you just keep tacking letters onto the end of a designator as long as it's vaguely related? Surprised it's a T-54 and not a T-44D or TC-12K or something.