• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVEX to RAF Mildenhall, England

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hi everyone, its great to see that a lot of people are doing well in OCS (well, except Vicki and her dwindling OCS class), and others are heading off (good luck Ashley and Paul) to OCS, good stuff.

Well, I have been extremely busy the last week with flying and attending Steve's wedding in Jupiter, FL as his best man this last weekend (congrats again Steve, and wow, what a spread that you guys put on, thanks again for inviting Tam and I!), so have really fallen behind on my email, and forum posts, will try and catch up next week when I get back.

Anyways, I am off for England on my Navigation Extend (NAVEX) tomorrow at 1830. Taking the P3 on a 10.5 hour flight (bring a book and stealing my kids gameboy!) across the pond, 53k lbs of fuel, and spend 3 days in London sampling the variety of liquors at the local pubs! Taking 4 students pilots, 2 pilot instructors, and various other tube rats (yes, even NFOs...), total of 22 ppl I believe on the crew list. On the way back (Monday) we are going to stop for some JP4 at NAS Brunswick, MA. Should have a blast, going to take my camera and take some good pictures hopefully!

And yes, I am going to stick with the fish and chips for the weekend!

Later!

ASUPilot

John,

I hope you will be posting some of those pics here on the board...especially some crip cockpit shots!

ASUPilot

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sigh.... two planes and seven and a half hours of preflight later, and we cancelled our flight last night to "merry old" Enland. On the first plane we lost an EDC (engine driven compressor, provides pressurization and A/C) on the #3 engine during startup. The inevitable talk with the line shack, and the realization it would take them too long to fix it. So they give us a new plane a 100yds down the flight line. Now picture 20 ppl's luggage, we had to yank all the bags out of the plane, an huff it down the line. I found a lineman with a truck and came back and got most of the rest of the bags, sheez. Speaking of packing, I brought one duffel bag, with three changes of clothing, some of these ppl looked like they were MOVING to England. Heck, even one of the NFOs had GOLF CLUBS!

Well, we go read the book, and preflight the new plane. She only had 32k in her of fuel, so the fuel truck started pumping away. Unfortunately it stopped at 42k (we need 53k to get to England with 8k on top), a bad fuel valve to the center tank wouldn't open, so we couldn't get any fuel in there....

So, after more bitching and moaning, the PPC canked the flight at 2200. There was some talk about flying somewhere else, but everybody only packed cold weather clothing for England. So, you guessed it, once again we (the four student pilots and some other E's) unloaded the plane's luggage into the duty van. And huffed it back to the squadron. Damn, I should have at least got tipped!

Attempt #2 today at 1500, wish me luck. It was a pain in the ass filling out an ICAO flight plan for the first time (thank god for OPARs), and took us (no shit) an hour to fill the damn thing out (one instructor and two students huddled around charts and the GP in Jax Ops). Speaking of hosed up, we were the last people out to the plane, since we filed, got weather, etc. So, we went on board, and went to the Nav to get the pubs and start pulling out the necessary charts and getting them in order for the flight station. And we find out that there isn't a chart bag on the plane! All he had were the local charts, and canadian 10, sheez. As you can tell, this is a class act all the way.

Seriously though, there is nothing you can do, and inevitably, stuff like this happens in the military, just have to let it slide right off. Unfortunately we are still coming back on Monday, so we lost a day in England. But, two of my friends in my class, didn't get a NAVEX, they just get to do 3 flights in the local area!

On the bright side, at least I don't have to pack! Later!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, the saga continues... on friday, we went through three more planes for various reasons, but the first two weren't capable of going to England. We were finally left at 2200 (started preflighting at 1500), with finding SOMEWHERE to go to. The local choices were San Diego, New Orleans, and Key West. So after much anguish, tracking down OPS on the phone on a friday night, getting a PPR, BOQ rooms for the crew, we hopped on the plane and headed down to Key West for the weekend. All of a 45 minute flight from Jax. They parked us in BFE, on an abandoned taxiway, a DET of F16s, and a C5, C141 and a couple of 130s came in on Saturday. The aggressor squadron of those funky painted F18s were also out there.

Anyways, we carted all our bags to the BOQ office on the airfield, it took all 20 of us an hour and a half to check in! Then hopped another cab to the BOQ high rise on Trumbo annex, got to our rooms ~0030, dead tired...

You gotta make the best of any situation, and we proceeded to have a great time on Saturday and Sunday. Did the Duval Crawl, rented a Hobbie Cat for awhile and did some sailing, went on a snorkeling trip to one of the reefs, saw the sunset on the pier with all those freaky streat performers, and generally had a good time. Also hit up the bars, Rick's, Rum Runners, and of course Fat Tuesdays.

Came back yesterday, took forever and a day to get fuel, first we had to move the plane, and then shut back down, and topped off with 12k more of fuel, for 36k in the plane. We then took off at 1330 for Houston, shot an approach at Ellington, and then came back to Jax. We had to log some flight time, plus the NFOs needed their overwater stuff to complete their grade sheets. I hopped in the right seat after takeoff, missed out on seeing us leave Key West, way too many IPs (3) on board, so they were all in the flight station. Did my copilot duties, and flew the plane across the gulf almost all the way to the coast of Texas.

Got grilled on a number of systems, and on occassion showed my ignorance (couldn't remember the FE's ground checks on the Engine and Wing anti ice systems), but generally did well. Crystal clear day, some storms to the south and north of us, but was kewl to just watch all the pax jets flying above us with the contrails (we were at FL260). While I was in the seat, we ran a Ditching and Bailout drill, so I got to avoid running around the plane, and putting on the parachute. Though on the flip side, I had to answer a shit ton of questions in the flight station on those procedures, all good stuff, especially as I am nearing my check ride (3 more flights to go!). Got out of the seat after 2 hours, and one of the other 4 student pilots got in. I went and grabbed my backpack with my food and reading material, and went back to the galley and killed some time. One of the IPs came back later asking for our grade sheets, and sat down for 30 minutes asking another student pilot and I questions, we briefed the autopilot, HF radio procedures, navigation system malfs, oxygen system, ditching positions (have to have all 23 positions memorized with duties, and which of three rafts you go to), customs procedures and other stuff I am probably forgetting. At the end we talked about deployments in the P3, and what personal gear to bring, and the progression from 3P to 2P and the whole PQS system associated with it. A great discussion, and the IP provided us with some really great information.

At which point I made one of my usual stellar comments, something to the effect that the other student and I were sitting back in the galley relaxing and the IP had to come along and quiz us. Uh-oh... At which point the IP had me get out the fuel system diagram and promptly told me I was a fuel molecule in the fuel truck, and I had to show how I got to the engine. Over the next hour, all three IPs tag teamed me, rotating out, and we discussed the fuel system in great depth! LOL It was a great refresher for all of us, we had the majority of it down pat, all the associated numbers, limits and procedures, but the in depth discussion really helped clean up some areas. I wanted to do the electrical system next, but we ran out of time as we headed into Jax.

We landed at Jax, and Thunderstorm condition 1 was set (lighting w/in 5 miles of the field I believe, and no personnel on the line, or of course fueling), so we had to wait for the van to come out and get us, and we all unloaded the plane, and packed on in. I had to take the NAV bag up and break it down, and then I was done.

All in all, a good flight. I really wish we could have gone to London, but we could have scrubbed on friday, and I would have flown all 3 of my Nav flights locally like two of my friends in my class. Just to set the record straight, we had an extraordinary amount of difficulty getting this flight out (5 preflights in less than 24 hours on 5 different planes!, not to metion the 2 ICAO flight planes I wrote, 4 DD175s that we also drafted, and moving all the luggage from plane to plane to plane...). The same day (last thur), the NAVEXT to Rota, Spain, left on time with their plane (actually they stole our plane before we got there, bastards!). And the previous week, two NAVEXTs, one to Hawaii and the other to Alaska got off also without a hitch.

That is about it, guess I am going to take it easy today, and read up on the forum, and do some studying. Later!

ASUPilot

John,

Will you ever be able to take the P-3 on a long x-c then? Or has your opportunity passed?

ASUPilot

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ASUPilot,

For my training here at the FRS, yes, that was my "one shot" at a long cross country. But it is not that much of a heart breaker since I will be doing many, many long flights to interesting destinations in the P3 community when I get to my Fleet squadron, especially when I go on deployment. And heck, Key West wasn't bad at all, like I said, I could have been forced to do all my NAV flights in the local area!

Status
Not open for further replies.