• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Science Institute/STA-21

crcurry

STA-21 Selectee
Good Afternoon All and Congrats to all the selectees for FY21 STA-21.

I was selected for NFO and report to NSI February 16th, 2021. I was able to find some info on here from 2006 where it seems like almost a day school bootcamp, but was curious if that was still the case. Specifically looking to verify things such as if I should bring my car, not buy uniforms beforehand, bring my phone, and any other advice you can give. Thanks!

Attachments

• NAV20308.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 13

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Like most things Navy, expect a welcome aboard letter/package/call. I went through NSI 17 years ago, but from what I remember, they tell you everything you need to know.

It's not boot camp (no shaved heads, taking of personal items,.etc.), but it is one last chance for a handful of chiefs to beat you down before they have to salute you a few years later.

I got a uniform allowance and went through an assembly line for fitting during the first week. IIRC, allowance was ~$1300, and the uniforms cost over $1500, so don't go there broke. If it's the same old ladies doing the fitting: make sure it actually fits and demand to get the clear plastic zip-up bags returned to you after alterations. You're really gonna want those, especially for your whites.

I can't speak to routine/freedoms, because I'm sure it's changed. There were a few ARIs the month before I showed up, so my cohort was required to wear our uniforms for the first 6 weeks on liberty and weren't allowed overnight for 7 weeks. Thanks, drunkies!

Don't expect the LTs teaching your courses to be the best and brightest, but I had a few solid instructors.

If you've never been to the Northeast, take the time to see the surrounding towns. I didn't make it to Boston and regret it.

Congrats!

OscarMyers

None
Good Afternoon All and Congrats to all the selectees for FY21 STA-21.

I was selected for NFO and report to NSI February 16th, 2020. I was able to find some info on here from 2006 where it seems like almost a day school bootcamp, but was curious if that was still the case. Specifically looking to verify things such as if I should bring my car, not buy uniforms beforehand, bring my phone, and any other advice you can give. Thanks!

A suggestion for the uniform issue, compare the stuff you already have to the Officers sea bag and bring it with. I brought some items that were the same and didn't have to buy them at NSI. Saved quite a bit.