• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Science Institute (NSI) Gouge - 2012

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
The current gouge on NSI is pretty old and no longer very accurate. I figured I give an update to all you potential STA-21’ers:

Check in:
I checked in on Saturday, February XX, the report NLT date on my orders. Some people checked in Sunday, they just needed to talk to the class Chief so they weren’t UA. Upon checking in, we were immediately put on liberty until 2000 Sunday. No leadership showed up on Sunday to yell at us and we didn’t get started until Monday morning. Monday morning, we met our Chief RDC and our Class Officer. Things at this point were similar to boot camp. A lot of lecturing and a focus of “getting back to basics.”For about half the class (junior nukes), this was probably pretty routine.

Academics:
The academics aren’t difficult, per se, but they do require a lot of work to keep up. The “homework” we’re supposed to do is unrealistic. Most people realized pretty fast that there is not enough hours in the day to do the readings that are assigned to us unless you are extremely dedicated. Between uniform upkeep, class, chow, PT, and laundry you are lucky to get an hour to yourself at night without sacrificing more sleep. I don’t know anyone who tried to keep up with the reading assignments after the first couple days. We are cramming all but two classes of NROTC classes into 8 weeks. Most of the instructors recognize how cramped our schedules are and try to focus on the more important areas of each class. If you focus one test at a time, you should be fine. A few people have failed a test and were given the chance to take an alternate version. I recommend bringing a basic calculator for quick calculations (relative to true bearings, ranges, etc.). The instructors offer Extra Instruction sessions that are a no-brainer to attend. Some people don’t attend and try to get updated by those who went. Don’t do this. Also, there is a rumor that we cover a lot more now than past years of NSI, so it is what it is.

Schedule:
Piss test first couple days, of course, and non-official PFA Day 2. If you’re fat, lose it. Some people failed the weigh-ins are being given the opportunity to get in standards but that could change with the CO. Don’t expect to get a whole lot of sleep the first few weeks. We are usually up between 0430-0530, depending on whether we have PT or not, and don’t get to sleep until 2200 or 2300. I definitely recommend taking care of personal business before coming here so it’s not on your mind and you can focus on school. The Chief and Class Officer are accommodating for taking care of business but it’s better to stay ahead of the game. Do your FAFSA and academic counseling/class registering before coming here, if possible. Some people are finishing classes up while here which causes more stress and work. It’s possible but I still recommend not taking classes while here, if possible.

Facilities/Amenities:
You will share a room with another Candidate and of course have to follow guidelines/rules. I don’t much remember how chow was in boot camp but there is a set procedure here (no talking, coffee, sweets, etc.). As time goes on, we are granted additional privileges. We don’t have to eat like the OCS students (think Robots) so it’s not too bad. The food is better than the fleet. Make toast in the morning to piss off everyone waiting to eat. :D The showers are always hot and there usually isn’t too bad a wait, if any, in the mornings. Then again, this is a small class so this could change.

Uniforms:
Check the NSI website for this information but the basics are:
1. Don’t bring your enlisted uniforms, even your “peanut butter” tops. They don’t match the khaki pants we’re issued so it’s a waste of space. Once you start the program, you are an Officer Candidate and no longer where any silver tipped uniform items whatsoever.
2. Do bring your enlisted black garrison hat if you want another cover option later down the road.
3. You will wear all of your ribbons/warfare devices.
4. Medals are not needed.
5. Don’t bring brown shoes.
6. Bring all of your PT gear. Don’t buy extra until getting here.
#1 Piece of Advice
Ask your shipmates questions before the Chief/Class Officer. DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT: “Can we do (whatever it is you want to do)?” This is the best way for Chief to say: “No, you can’t do that.” and presto, you just created a rule that you would not have had to follow if you just kept quiet. DO ASK QUESTIONS LIKE: “Can we have cake now?” or other questions pertaining to liberties and privileges you KNOW you don’t have.

Liberty:
As far as I can recall, the liberty policy is similar to what’s posted on the NSI website. You get alcohol a couple weekends in. People will drink and be stupid, as is tradition. Just don’t get in trouble and you’ll be fine. When you get uniforms, I recommend getting an extra white “pancake” for your combination cover and an extra, cheap white shirt. A large percentage of us are stuck on base today, myself included, after St. Patty’s day due to uniform damaging shenanigans. St. Patty’s day was awesome. Free drinks abound and the locals are very supportive of the Navy. Pick good buddies that will keep you out of trouble when you forget to eat dinner and get shitty.

Conclusion:
I could write more but I’ll leave it at this. Any questions, throw them up here and I’ll answer it if I can. NSI is just a stepping stone but it’s a very important one. Prepare to memorize a shit-ton of information and “drink from the firehose of information”, as they say (and they say a lot of things).

Afterthought:
If you have a good blanket/pillow, bring it because the ones they issue are garbage. Shipmates, feel free to add important details that I missed. Of course, all of this information could change by next year so take it for what it’s worth. Kill!

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee
John, don't you have a NOS final to be studying for instead of trolling airwarriors? Tisk, tisk, shipmate.

johnnyfive

John, don't you have a NOS final to be studying for instead of trolling airwarriors? Tisk, tisk, shipmate.
I hate your face.
Why would you need your black garrison cap? Just askin'...
You don't really need one, I was just saying that's about the only real uniform item you could wear with the officer's uniform (dress blues, Eisenhower jacket, garrison cap).

johnnyfive

hmm...must be one of the authorized, but never worn type things.
Yeah, I have yet to do it myself. The only real reason I added that is that I gave away a brand new garrison cap before transferring because I didn't realize that we would be able to wear them as officer candidates or officers.

mv22osprey

STA-21 FY12 Selectee
John, I would also add that you will be be doing pt outside in the winter, so bring some long-underwear or some sort of thermal layers to wear under your PTUs. They will make you PT outside unless it is below 20 degrees.
BZ on a excellent post!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
John, I would also add that you will be be doing pt outside in the winter, so bring some long-underwear or some sort of thermal layers to wear under your PTUs. They will make you PT outside unless it is below 20 degrees.
BZ on a excellent post!

It was 38 degrees outside when I went running this morning up here in Newport. Fortunately, it wasn't windy. When that wind picks up... It's freaking cold!!

johnnyfive

It was 38 degrees outside when I went running this morning up here in Newport. Fortunately, it wasn't windy. When that wind picks up... It's freaking cold!!
Yes, the wind is the killer, along with the dew on the astro turf. One other tip, wear the correct uniform under your smurfs. We had to keep our sweats on because a few people decided to wear a short-sleeved PT shirt or no shorts. Those people were not very popular that day.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
The current gouge on NSI is pretty old and no longer very accurate. I figured I give an update to all you potential STA-21’ers:

Check in:
I checked in on Saturday, February XX, the report NLT date on my orders. Some people checked in Sunday, they just needed to talk to the class Chief so they weren’t UA. Upon checking in, we were immediately put on liberty until 2000 Sunday. No leadership showed up on Sunday to yell at us and we didn’t get started until Monday morning. Monday morning, we met our Chief RDC and our Class Officer. Things at this point were similar to boot camp. A lot of lecturing and a focus of “getting back to basics.”For about half the class (junior nukes), this was probably pretty routine.

Academics:
The academics aren’t difficult, per se, but they do require a lot of work to keep up. The “homework” we’re supposed to do is unrealistic. Most people realized pretty fast that there is not enough hours in the day to do the readings that are assigned to us unless you are extremely dedicated. Between uniform upkeep, class, chow, PT, and laundry you are lucky to get an hour to yourself at night without sacrificing more sleep. I don’t know anyone who tried to keep up with the reading assignments after the first couple days. We are cramming all but two classes of NROTC classes into 8 weeks. Most of the instructors recognize how cramped our schedules are and try to focus on the more important areas of each class. If you focus one test at a time, you should be fine. A few people have failed a test and were given the chance to take an alternate version. I recommend bringing a basic calculator for quick calculations (relative to true bearings, ranges, etc.). The instructors offer Extra Instruction sessions that are a no-brainer to attend. Some people don’t attend and try to get updated by those who went. Don’t do this. Also, there is a rumor that we cover a lot more now than past years of NSI, so it is what it is.

Schedule:
Piss test first couple days, of course, and non-official PFA Day 2. If you’re fat, lose it. Some people failed the weigh-ins are being given the opportunity to get in standards but that could change with the CO. Don’t expect to get a whole lot of sleep the first few weeks. We are usually up between 0430-0530, depending on whether we have PT or not, and don’t get to sleep until 2200 or 2300. I definitely recommend taking care of personal business before coming here so it’s not on your mind and you can focus on school. The Chief and Class Officer are accommodating for taking care of business but it’s better to stay ahead of the game. Do your FAFSA and academic counseling/class registering before coming here, if possible. Some people are finishing classes up while here which causes more stress and work. It’s possible but I still recommend not taking classes while here, if possible.

Facilities/Amenities:
You will share a room with another Candidate and of course have to follow guidelines/rules. I don’t much remember how chow was in boot camp but there is a set procedure here (no talking, coffee, sweets, etc.). As time goes on, we are granted additional privileges. We don’t have to eat like the OCS students (think Robots) so it’s not too bad. The food is better than the fleet. Make toast in the morning to piss off everyone waiting to eat. :D The showers are always hot and there usually isn’t too bad a wait, if any, in the mornings. Then again, this is a small class so this could change.

Uniforms:
1. Don’t bring your enlisted uniforms, even your “peanut butter” tops. They don’t match the khaki pants we’re issued so it’s a waste of space. Once you start the program, you are an Officer Candidate and no longer where any silver tipped uniform items whatsoever.
2. Do bring your enlisted black garrison hat if you want another cover option later down the road.
#1 Piece of Advice
Ask your shipmates questions before the Chief/Class Officer. DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT: “Can we do (whatever it is you want to do)?” This is the best way for Chief to say: “No, you can’t do that.” and presto, you just created a rule that you would not have had to follow if you just kept quiet. DO ASK QUESTIONS LIKE: “Can we have cake now?” or other questions pertaining to liberties and privileges you KNOW you don’t have.

Liberty:
As far as I can recall, the liberty policy is similar to what’s posted on the NSI website. You get alcohol a couple weekends in. People will drink and be stupid, as is tradition. Just don’t get in trouble and you’ll be fine. When you get uniforms, I recommend getting an extra white “pancake” for your combination cover and an extra, cheap white shirt. A large percentage of us are stuck on base today, myself included, after St. Patty’s day due to uniform damaging shenanigans. St. Patty’s day was awesome. Free drinks abound and the locals are very supportive of the Navy. Pick good buddies that will keep you out of trouble when you forget to eat dinner and get shitty.

Conclusion:
I could write more but I’ll leave it at this. Any questions, throw them up here and I’ll answer it if I can. NSI is just a stepping stone but it’s a very important one. Prepare to memorize a shit-ton of information and “drink from the firehose of information”, as they say (and they say a lot of things).

Afterthought:
If you have a good blanket/pillow, bring it because the ones they issue are garbage. Shipmates, feel free to add important details that I missed. Of course, all of this information could change by next year so take it for what it’s worth. Kill!

Thanks for the awesome info !!! I am hoping to be there around this time next year !!!!

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician

Check in:

Academics:

Schedule:

Facilities/Amenities:

Uniforms:
#1 Piece of Advice

Liberty:

Conclusion:

Afterthought:

Thanks for this post. It is an eye opener for me.