• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Postgraduate School Questions/ IGEP

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I recently spoke to my Academic Advisor about attending the NPS following graduation/commissioning. However, he mentioned their MBA's and MS Programs from The Graduate School of Business and Public Policy might not be very highly regarded outside of the Navy/Military. Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone here gone to The Graduate School of Business and Public Policy? Would it be dumb for a newly minted O-1 to start out right there or no? Just wondering what people think.

I know this is like the 3rd Thread in a week about graduate school, but I figured it was specific enough to warrant its own thread. If not, feel free to move it mods.

Thanks in advance everyone.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
While I can't speak specifically about GSBPP, I had several friends there that enjoyed the program. It may not be as highly recognized as some other disciplines there but it's still a decent degree.

My only question is, can you apply for it out of USNA? I knew O-1's in ever school except that one, and that school seemed to consist of mainly a bunch of real senior LT's or LCDR's.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Husband did the eMBA program. At the time, I worked with the College of Business at univerisity with a decently regarded businessprogram. I asked around to see what kind of respect an NPS MBA would have and the non-scientific consensus that it was fine. It's no Wharton, of course, but it is no worse (or better) than any other non-top 25 MBA program.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
OK...rant coming....I am sick of new kids getting an attitude about the Navy's graduate programs not being "highly regarded" or challenging. If you want a Harvard MBA or want to get into a top 25 school, you are going to have a difficult time doing it in the Navy. That is not to say it isn't possible. If you get a graduate degree while an officer on active duty...in your "spare" time....that is looked favorably upon.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Insanebikerboy: My Academic Advisor mentioned that it was possible through IGEP, though from what I've read, it seems like IGEP is a program only for those going Nuke and they go to civilian institutions. But I'll keep looking into it.

Flytpay - for the record, I was the one who brought up my desire to go to NPS, but it was my Academic Advisor (an O-3) who mentioned it may not be looked upon favorably outside. I came here to ask what others who may have gone through the program thought.

Gitr

Dan, there are plenty of people out at different schools. NPS is a good school but if you want to go elsewhere you can do it and you don't have to be a nuke. Go talk to Prof. Roxbrough if she's still there. Just realize that you will put off coming down to Pcola

amongclouds08

For what it's worth, I was flipping through the current U.S. News and World Report graduate school rankings the other day and noticed the NPS was ranked 51 or so nationally. I know those rankings aren't definitive authority on grad school reputations, but it should mean that the school has an above average reputation.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the responses so far. I did a search and no Prof. Roxbrough showed up, but I'll be keeping my options open.

Edit: Apparently I'm wrong! Oddly enough, one of my Econ Profs today mentioned Mrs. Roxbrough about graduate education programs to the entire class! Thanks for the heads up Gitr!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
it was my Academic Advisor (an O-3) who mentioned it may not be looked upon favorably outside.
Your advisor is full of crap....sorry. But if you are a military officer and are able to obtain a graduate degree while on active duty, you should receive favorable consideration from a civilian employer. It shows the ability to balance a challenging career with leadership responsibilities, a difficult academic schedule, and an above average desire to achieve higher standards for yourself. Sure a Wharton School MBA would be nice but it really is not practical in your chosen career.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Flytpay - for the record, I was the one who brought up my desire to go to NPS, but it was my Academic Advisor (an O-3) who mentioned it may not be looked upon favorably outside. I came here to ask what others who may have gone through the program thought.
Villanelle nailed it. From having spent 20 years so far in the private sector (Ghostbusters quote: "They expect results."), I've learned that there are two kinds of MBAs - ones from the very top tier (Kellogg, Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, etc)...and everybody else. There are so many MBA's around that, like attorneys, it's hard to shake a stick without hitting one. A PG school MBA is a solid credential from a good school, but it's more or less like all the other ones out there - it generally won't break you out from a crowd of others with MBAs.

Conversely, some PG school degrees can be sought after - the organization I work for has a whole slew of PG School ops research types, both graduates and former faculty.

As a degree collector, I'm a big fan of continuing education, so if you're interested, knock yourself out.