• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer - 2 Degrees need direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerm1t8443

I am 24 years old, currently pursuing my Bachelors in Information Technology from the University of Phoenix. Additionally I am also in the process of completing my A.A.S from a local college in Information Security. I have been in the Tech field for 5 years working with UNIX, Info Sec, large networks, and many other technologies. My main goal is to become a navy officer and serve my country. I believe every American should serve a minimum of 2 years in the military in order to appreciate the great country we live in. The purpose of this post; Once I complete both of my degrees I will be 28, will I still be able to qualify for OCS? In addition, if I do qualify where would I most likely be placed? I have wanted to join the navy since I was 16 but I wanted to be educated and well rounded before making a life changing decision, I would like to thank you in advance for any information you can provide me.

langley310

Your best bet would be to talk to a recruiter about 12-14 months before you intend on going to OCS....each officer designator has it's own age and applicant requirements. I know it's possible to get waivers for age too.

Louie

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dito on the recruiter thing.

Talk to a recruiter and look into the different areas (designators) that interest you. Max age for a commision is 35. However, the age limit is different for different fields. Ie Aviation, Supply, Crypto etc.. Each community has age limits. So do some research and find out what youd like to do. Then go from there. I'd start sooner rather than later.

Dave

AZSkegee

Get your degree, and welcome aboard shipmate. I think you will have a great background for intel, you will finish with a few years of playing time age wise. Concentrate on your degree and everything should fall into place

sailorgloom

Get your BS/BA. This should be your first step. With respect to being too old, each community has age restrictions. Your background in IT is perfect for the new Information Professional Community or Cryptology (cryppies are in charge of computer network attack/defense and information operations). Simply having a degree opens all designators as options. There are waivers for age but normally apply to prior/current enlisted. You may want to look into the reserves now while earning your degree to get a taste of the Fleet and make your OCS package more competitive.

A little background, I enlisted at age 26 and earned my commission at 29.

-SG

Status
Not open for further replies.