• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Nurse Billets Availability Questions

Pacunurse

RNlife
Hello,
I am a RN and have been working with a recruiter on my application for a Navy Officer reserve position. She informed me that there are no med/surg or critical care billets available and I would have to wait until next year or go active. I cannot go active due to my job, spouse (her life and needs as well) and we just bought a house. However, a fellow nurse is working with his recruiter still on getting an officer position for critical care which doesn’t make sense to me if there are no positions available this year. Another nurse (my coworker) who is a naval officer said to wait until December to see if there are positions available due to some people not being compliant with the vaccine requirements. My questions are: why is one person working with their recruiter still if there are no billets available? Should I ask a different recruiter to see if for some reason my recruiter is just not trying to get me in (I don’t think she would but I know it is competitive and she is retiring next year)? Should I wait until December and see what is going on or… should I reach out to AF reserves and see if they have anything? (Navy or AF but not interested in other branches like Army sorry). What happens if the officers are not compliant with the vaccine requirements (my recruiter wasn’t sure)? Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Hello,
I am a RN and have been working with a recruiter on my application for a Navy Officer reserve position. She informed me that there are no med/surg or critical care billets available and I would have to wait until next year or go active. I cannot go active due to my job, spouse (her life and needs as well) and we just bought a house. However, a fellow nurse is working with his recruiter still on getting an officer position for critical care which doesn’t make sense to me if there are no positions available this year. Another nurse (my coworker) who is a naval officer said to wait until December to see if there are positions available due to some people not being compliant with the vaccine requirements. My questions are: why is one person working with their recruiter still if there are no billets available? Should I ask a different recruiter to see if for some reason my recruiter is just not trying to get me in (I don’t think she would but I know it is competitive and she is retiring next year)? Should I wait until December and see what is going on or… should I reach out to AF reserves and see if they have anything? (Navy or AF but not interested in other branches like Army sorry). What happens if the officers are not compliant with the vaccine requirements (my recruiter wasn’t sure)? Thank you!
Reach out to your friends OR, nothing wrong with getting another opinion and your OR could just be new.

Also, reach out to AF. Navy wasn’t my first choice, and despite my many complaints over the years, I’m still grateful they gave me the chance to serve.

Pacunurse

RNlife
Reach out to your friends OR, nothing wrong with getting another opinion and your OR could just be new.
Okay, thank you! I don’t want her to be offended and not help me but I want to know why one still putting in paperwork and I stopped. At minimum, I can still be doing paperwork (?) to get a head start on everything.

Pacunurse

RNlife
Also, reach out to AF. Navy wasn’t my first choice, and despite my many complaints over the years, I’m still grateful they gave me the chance to serve.
Okay! I will! I have a recruiter that I reached out to but was honest with him about wanting Navy first. I can probably reach out and ask if there is a better chance rather than waiting until December to see if anyone gets dropped. Thank you!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Seek out the other services. The Navy is a fickle beast with some things. I am losing an O4 doctor who off ramped from active duty to the Reserve. He's been in the VTU for about a year waiting for a paid billet to open up. He recently submitted is request to leave because he got tired of waiting and no longer has the time to waste.

I'd seriously consider the Air Force.