• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator Qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

chccurd

Hi all. My name is Chris Curd and I'm a junior in high school right now. I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum height to be a fighter pilot was. I've been asking everyone I know, but no one seems to know. I know the max height is 6'6" for naval aviators, but someone told me that to be a fighter pilot, the max height was shorter. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Chris

farkle84

well when i went in for my SNA physical, they didnt only get my height and weight, but they took certain measurements of your femur as well. i am sure that others would know more than i would.

JayManC

chccurd, overall height isnt so much of a factor as is your individual measurements. Im sure if you check the NAMI/NOMI website that you will find what the maximum measurements are to be able to safely sit in an ejection seat. If for some reason you dont meet these it's not the end of the world. Many aircraft (which do not have ejection seats) have relaxed cockpit dimensions.

<insert something witty here:>

Blue

Here are the critical requirements for SNA:

Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.

Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more

Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.

Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.

The NAMI website indicated no difference in dimensions for any specific type of platform the SNA would eventually qualify in.

bart27

How exactly is the Buttock Knee Length (BKL) measured? The NAMI site says this is the most important so I tried measuring myself, but I fell just short of the range. Does anyone have any experience with how these are measured? Any input would be appreciated.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's ok... NAMI usually can't do it right anyway. I've seen more than a few "disqualified" aviators get measured by the flight physiologist at NASC and come out unscathed. Just sit upright in a chair (so your back and thigh forms 90 degrees, then thighs and calves form 90 degrees) and measure from the back of the chair to the front of your knee.

Side view of chair:
xxx|
xxx|
xxx|
xx>|kkkkkkkkkk< This length here=BKL
xxx|________
xxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxx|

bart27

Thanks kmac...I should be good to go...I was originally measuring from center of hip to center of knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.