• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy Grads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

I'm a sophmore in highschool and want to go to the Naval Academy. I think that I'm on the right track in terms of academics and extracurricular activities and things like that but I was wondering if someone whose at the Academy now or has been through it recently could tell me what their highschool "profile" was like. Thanks.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
SAT scores can make or break your application. Other than that, keep getting good grades, and participating in extracurricular activities. Varsity team sports are a big plus.

Charlie

I haven't taken the SAT's yet.I've got the PSAT's coming up in a week.I play JV Football and Wrestle Varsity. I've got a 3.6 GPA and I'm in honors classes and I'm 30th in a class of about 370.I'm in a community service club and I'm almost an Eagle Scout and I'm vice president of my class.I'm doing pretty much everything I can so I just need to keep it all up.I've heard it's extremely competitive.Did you graduate recently?Do you have any advice or stories that you think would help?thanks for helping out.

jmantel02

Charlie-

I just graduated in May. Overall, all your stuff looks pretty good and Michael Webb is right about SATs/Summer Seminar/and milking the Eagle Scout thing. When I applied 5 years ago my grades weren't outstanding (yours are prob better) but I had a 1480 SAT (790 on the math) that probably erased doubts of my academic worthiness and eventually put me over the top. Call the admissions office about Summer Seminar as soon as possible. I didn't do Sum Sem, but a lot of the guys I went through here with did and spoke very highly of it. All in all your chances look pretty good. Do your best to break 1300 on the SAT and you should be set. Also, if you think you would be good enopugh to play varsity sports at USNA then think about contacting some of the coaches and letting them know who you are.

Once you have what it takes on paper (which you seem to) then it's all a function of MOTIVATION and how bad you want it. Let your nomination source and the Admissions Dept here know that.

Tessone

Hey Charlie, finish that Eagle! I speak from the experience of someone who moved around sophomore year and didn't ever finish it--I really regret it now. I had my project done and everything--just a few merit badges left. At some point, you might start thinking it's not worth it, but you will regret it if you get to that 18th birthday and don't finish.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Charlie,

You are doing just fine and on the right track. Definetly finish the Eagle scout thing. and definetly try to go to Summer Seminar. It is a great experience, and the admissions people get to take a look at you while you get a look at the Academy life. I graduated in 2000. I went to summer seminar in high school and was on the detail two years at the Academy. Also, look into going to Boy's State. I think it was run by the VFW or something like that. It is a week long "camp" also with a bit of military and government stuff all in one. But, on the application to the Academy, it is an actual box to check if you have or have not gone.
Make sure it is what you want to do also. The Academy is not for everyone, but if it is what you want it is a great place to go.

Good luck,
Glenn

DanMav11

Wow, this is scary, like I am in the same exact posistion as Charlie, except last year I did 2 seasons of Varsity Track, lettered once, and this year I plan to do JV Lacrosse. I mean, are his sports gonna look better than mine? Like I hate when people say track is easy, but running 5 miles a day after honors classes and then going home to study and do homework, I found enjoyable, but difficult nonetheless. My GPA is baout 3.8 in honors and advanced classes, and that is a non-weighted GPA. My Eagle Project will be finished within a couple or so months, and I ran for VP, but lost this year, but I'll go again next year... I also took an SATII that I had a 650 on, do you think that could help me at all? I am planning on taking more SATIIs. Thanks alot, all.

trt23

dan, charlie,

you both sound like you have competitive packages, and as long as you stay on track, i would say your chances are good to get in.

nothing is guarenteed though, as a lot of factors influence the admissions board and the application process. for example someone with less competitive stats can get an appointment over you, just because they come from a less competitive district.

oh, and dan, they won't knock you for running track, the academy needs people for the track team too!

good luck fellas, it's not for everyone, but i wouldn't trade my USNA experience for anything in the world

Charlie

thanks for the answers.I just took the psats they were pretty easy. I've got two merit badges left for eagle which I'll have time to do as soon as I finish up at my job (I work at a shipyard).I took my stage I check for flying and passed that so now I'm moving on to some cross country stuff which should be more fun. I'm on the navy's list for the summer seminar and was invited to go to some admissions seminar in connecticut but had a football game this weekend.Can someone tell me some of the advantages and disadvantages of the academy,nrotc, and ocs.I'd like to be a pilot whats the best route for that?

DanMav11

Charlie, good luck man. Hope that I'll see you in the Academy soon. Anyway, dude, how'd you get invited to that Admissions Seminar?

Oh, and as far as a winter sport, what would look better: Track or swimming?

Here's the deal, I had a tough time scoring in winter track, mainly because I was one of the youngest sprinters, but nonetheless, I got a Letter during the spring, which teams vs. 1 at a time as where in the winter it's all the teams in several counties. I have been told it's much easier to get a letter in swimming, and I figured I might as well do it. Does anyone have any insight on this? As far as me doing Spring Track, again, I'm not, because I am set on doing Lacrosse in the Spring. Would it look like I have no commintment? Or would earning a letter look better? I enjoy both sports, so I'm not just doing it for the resume, but still, if I like both, why not do one where I'll get a letter?

trt23

if you want to fly then definitely go either to the academy or rotc, they always have a set amount of billets every year. ocs gets whatever billets are needed to be filled after that, which might be a lot, or might be very few.

dan, do the sport you enjoy most, but if it is dead even then picking the one you will letter in is a good choice.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Oh yeah baby!! The stage is set for the greatest upset in NCAA history!! That's right, you better all get your TV sets warmed up now to watch Navy upset the undefeated Irish!! They aren't gonna know what hit them! Two weeks until the glory begins!!! Go Navy!

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Well the victory won't be quite as sweet now since they lost to BC, but hey, BC did it, so now I know it will happen!!! 5 days to mayhem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.