• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Natiional Match M-1

FlyinRock

Here is a question to kick around. An M-1 match conditioned as a national match gun by the Navy MTU in SDiego back in the 60's and shoots .308. Tack driver gun and has been owned by two people who are/were master class. Can anyone take a WAG as to the value of this gun? Records indicate about 2000 rounds thru it and looks good.
Happy New Year and Semper Fi
Rocky

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Need more info ... Type I, Type 2 ... condition ... all the usual suspects.

Really, really rough figures: $2.5-$6 K ... again, it depends. And to command those kind of prices/values ... you've GOT to have some kind of provenance. Otherwise, it's just someone's 'word' as to the history & origin of the piece.

Here's some basic info:

1. M1 Rifle Mk 2 Mod 1 Grade B match rifle in 7.62 MM with 1-minute sights. Grade B match rifles were first released by the Navy as a Trophy Rifle in 1996. They are very desirable collector pieces.
  2. M1 Rifle Mk 2 Mod 1 in 7.62 MM using a new SA produced barrel (1965-67 mfg.), two sub-variations; one converted by Harrington & Richardson (H&R) the other by American Machine & Foundry (AMF) of York, PA. The AMF version is by far the rarer of the two (possibly only 10%). These variants have become very scarce over the last few years.
  3. M1 Rifle in caliber .30-06. Often marked “O-65, O-66 or O-67” on flat of receiver behind rear sight. These are usually encountered in unissued condition following rebuild. According to Jeremy Cheek's published article in the June 2004 issue of the Garand Collectors Association Journal, these rifles are USMC M1 rifles rebuilt at Marine Corps overhaul depots.
Navy non-Trophy Rifle variations are:

1. Mk 2 Mod 1 Grade A match rifle in 7.62 MM with ½-minute sights. They are the rarest of all; it is believed that few, if any, have been released by the Navy. I’ve never seen one.
  2. Mk 2 Mod 0 in 7.62 MM using a .30-06 barrel with insert to convert to 7.62. This is also a very scarce variation and highly sought after by collectors.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I have a Mk 2 Mod 1 Grade B with a 1966 Springfield barrel in 7.62. I've had it appraised by Scott Duff (preeminent M-1 guy) for about $3.5k. I shoot it regularly, a helluva shot on an Across the Course match. It had a 1-minute rear sight that was upgraded to a 1/2 minute sight by a former SEAL armorer that HeyJoe put me in contact with.

A4's, the only Grade A's I've ever seen were given out to the first place shooter in the SecNav rifle and pistol matches in Annapolis. I missed a Grade A by a single X. They don't give them out any longer as a trophy, I think now it's a semi-only accurized M-16/AR-15.

FlyinRock

Thanks A4. Gives me something to check out. It is owned by a retd LCDR pilot who obtained it from MTU when he was based in 'Dago.
And thanks to the others who responded with info.
Semper Fi
Rocky