• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS DALLAS = The Good 'ol Days

HuggyU2

None
I flew right by NAS Dallas about 4 weeks ago, while going into DFW in an American Airlines jet. Brought back some good memories of some good RON's there.
Those big antennas right off the south end of the runway were still there too. Didn't an F-4 hit them long ago? That was before my time.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I flew right by NAS Dallas about 4 weeks ago, while going into DFW in an American Airlines jet. Brought back some good memories of some good RON's there.
Those big antennas right off the south end of the runway were still there too. Didn't an F-4 hit them long ago? That was before my time.

Yes. I'm 99% sure that I watched them takeoff. I was in high school and was there for my physical during application for ROTC scholarships/academy.

I was driving off the base and saw them take position for takeoff. The approach end numbers for the runway in use (17?) were right up against the fence. I pulled over and got out of my truck to watch. Probably the coolest thing I had seen in my 16 years to that point. I could actually feel the heat (it was cold outside) and the noise was deafening.

I heard on the radio that one of them crashed a few hours later. This was in '86.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yes. I'm 99% sure that I watched them takeoff....This was in '86.
'86?? Or '85?? I know of one that crashed after take-off in '85 (pretty sure it was '85) when the engine caught fire ATO ... both crew made it. They took off to the south and crashed SW of the NAS.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
'86?? Or '85?? I know of one that crashed after take-off in '85 (pretty sure it was '85) when the engine caught fire ATO ... both crew made it. They took off to the south and crashed SW of the NAS.

Don't know about that one. I was in high school at the time, so the mishap I was talking about was either 85 or 86 (I graduated in 87). I do distinctly remember that the reported cause of the crash was hitting the wires of those antenae.

Then again, that's what I heard on the news 20+ years ago, so I could be mistaken.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor

Can't remember the exact date and I can't research it right now (on a trip) but the Marines did hit the guidewire to one of the antennas during a TACAN aproach to the overhead (very standard at Dallas to get below the overcast) sometime in the '86-'89 timeframe. A section of F-4's dropped down below a stepdown fix trying to get VFR underneath and hit the wire with the wing. Both got out OK. A/C crashed in a wooded area south of Lake Joe Pool. "Ramps" and "Major" (Dallas OPS guys at the time)were celebrities on the local newscasts, answering (or rather, deferring) questions.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I was driving off the base and saw them take position for takeoff. The approach end numbers for the runway in use (17?) were right up against the fence. I pulled over and got out of my truck to watch. Probably the coolest thing I had seen in my 16 years to that point. I could actually feel the heat (it was cold outside) and the noise was deafening.

Probably one of THE BEST places in the country for the civilian sector to get up close and personal with tactical military aircraft. Jefferson Avenue passed within literally, feet of the approach end of 17. The chainlink fence separating the perimeter road and Jefferson Avenue felt like the one wire at the ship. The final approach passed over the lumber yard, the railroad tracks, Jefferson Ave., the fence, and then the perimeter road at what seemed like 50-100 feet. Cars would line up and park along the railroad right-of-way and Jefferson Ave. on Friday-Sunday to get a first-hand look at some of America's finest in action. Felt like you were doing an airshow everytime you landed to the south. Oh, I DO miss those days.

HuggyU2

None
Those folks on Jefferson Ave got a good look at a T-38 back around '94. A couple of B-2 pilots were departing Runway 35, when they coughed a motor. The runway there was paved such that the last 2000' was concrete, compared to the previous asphalt section. Well, said T-38 pilots were above bug speed, elected to continue the takeoff (good choice), but they saw the change in runway color ahead, and perceived it to be the end of the runway,... when they actually had 2000' more runway to work with. So,.... they pulled the jet off the ground early, and below single engine takeoff speed. The jet wallowed over Jefferson Ave, heading for the water tower. They pulled up again using their last bit of energy, and punched out. The jet impacted in a non-populated area.

What a great show they put on for the crowd!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Probably one of THE BEST places in the country for the civilian sector to get up close and personal with tactical military aircraft. Jefferson Avenue passed within literally, feet of the approach end of 17 ...
I used to make it a point to "wave and smile" at the taxpayers as I crossed over the street. Yeah, yeah I know ... it's low.

Once in a while, if I was really, really, really trimmed up, on centerline, etc. and there was no wind to speak of ... I'd stick BOTH hands up (briefly :eek:) in a "look Ma, no hands" gesture. :D

Yeah, yeah ... I know .... it's low .... and a man's just GOT to know his limitations. :)