• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYPASS

Anyone hear anything yet? I've heard from my 2 senators scheduling interviews, but so far nothing else. I'd sure like to know something soon because I'll probably be hearing from the other colleges I applied to fairly quickly and would like to do some planning. I'm also waiting to hear about a NROTC scholarship. I know...hurry up and wait! Trying like hell to keep my grades up, along with balancing all of my leadership duties. First choice is definitely USNA, but if I don't make it in, I definitely have a back-up plan with NROTC.

quickandsure

Well, understand several hundred offers have been sent out. Usually, Senatorial and housemember recommendation are late, into January. MOST of the time, they coordinate between respective staff's to ensure their slots are not wasted by submitting two or three recommendations for one person. USNA often does not complete appointments until April, Agreed, you should have several offers in your pocket. Keep in touch with USNA admissions offices so they know you are interested. Good luck.

BYPASS

Thanks Grist! I'll see what transpires with the nominations. As far as keeping in touch with admissions, I found out by asking my counselor (each candidate is assigned a counselor) there what my status is. He e-mailed me and told me that so far, the board has found me scholastically unqualified, but that they will continue to look at my application several more times when nominations, 1st sem. grades and additional test scores come in. Unfortunately, my grades aren't great (3.4 weighted, 3.0 unweighted) and my best SAT score was only 600V 630M. My leadership skills, community service and sports are strong, so maybe they will keep looking at me. I am taking the ACT in Dec. to see if that's any better. I did go to the summer seminar and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure what else I could ask admissions as far as my application goes. Seems the only thing I can do is just wait now, unless you have some suggestions Grist, or anyone else.

Grist - FYI, the recruiter that gave me my NROTC interview was SpecOps also. Had some great pics on the wall. He later became a Navy Seal. He's in Richmond.

BYPASS

Not at all giving up. I'll keep pluggin' away for USNA until I receive a turn-down letter. I also feel pretty good about NROTC. Whatever it takes to get in to that uniform.

Integer

Banned
Why stop at the turn down letter? If I get one, I will just request an application for the next year's class that same day. :)

BYPASS

So Integer, have you heard anything yet? Asking for an application the same day you receive a turndown letter isn't a bad idea. They might even change their minds when they see your motivation...who knows! Are you in college now, or a high school senior?

Integer

Banned
I'm in college, and I have one more year (after this one) to apply. This is probably my last year being eligible for NAPS, though, as I suspect that one still has to be under 23 when he or she graduates NAPS. I have applied for nominations, and will hopefully send out my application this week (it's so nerve-wracking for me--not from stress, but nervousness :) ) I'm very nervous but I think everything in my package is outstanding except for my 3.0 GPA in a hard major (but I am concentrating in schoolwork now that I am motivated to attend the USNA), and my prt will probably only be enough for a minimum. Darn, it feels so close and yet so far! I'm still motivated since learning about the USNA in February, so it must be the right goal/track for me. I've improved in three or four areas because of my motivation since then, thanks to the USNA, so even if I don't get in, it did me well. :) I guess that kind of goal was what was missing from my life before.

And as I watched midshipmen lose to notre dame, I felt sad. No other college could do that to me. :)

BYPASS

Good luck to you! I'm hoping to at least get NAPS also, but definitely going for NROTC if I don't get in. Are you in a NROTC program at college?

F

Flyingwonder

Be careful with the Academy, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Sure it's very prestegious to graduate from, but make sure that you want the imposed discipline that comes with the appointment to a class. It will change you, but not always for the best. Make sure that you don't want a normal college life, because there is no such thing when you go to an academy. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just be sure that it is what you REALLY want. Even if you read everything that you can about it and talk to tons of midshipmen you won't know what it is really like until you're in. If you go NAPS you have an entire year before Plebe year, and that burns some people out. You have your entire life to serve in the Navy, you don't have to start immediately. Good luck, and don't get discouraged if you don't get in. Once you are an Officer it doesn't really matter what route you became one, all that matters is your performance as an Officer.
mohawk_125.gif

Integer

Banned
Thanks BYPASS, but my community college does not have an NROTC program.

What I did during my past year was not concentrate on academics nor sports, but on activities instead. I now seriously want to concentrate on academics and sports, which is exactly what the academy provides. I also want to be among similarly motivated people.

Thanks for the information, but it just sounds like what I want, a college life of studying. I want to be challenged. But if I learned I was accepted, then maybe I would party for a bit before July just to get it out of my system. :)

clubjdh

Ok, as Bypass will tell ya, any way you can get into USNA is worth it. Going into a prep school, then having to go to NAPS, then getting into the Academy 2 years behind everybody else just means you will be able to drink after climbing Herndon (well, legally). I have friends who graduated with me who entered as Staff Sergeants, and one who was up for Gunny...and now they are back to being Lt's.

I don't know why somebody would say the Academy isn't all its cracked up to be, unless they are there right now...which once you get there will make perfect sense. Coming from me, a guy who got into his fair share of trouble, missed a few leave periods for being stupid and getting caught, I am thankful every day for having gone there. Yeah, NAPSters tend to be a little more cynical, but everybody is while you are there, it's just part of the life.

Way down the road, you will see little differences between USNA and non-USNA officers...biggest thing I've seen is USNA guys tend to not let the little things bug them, maybe a little more laid back, just because we've been putting up with the guaranteed B.S. that we all go through. You'll get good at book stuff, and your idea of a weekend will getting hammered and trying to do a day of homework with a hangover...but then again, thats what its been like in the flight program, from API all the way to Meridian.

Either way, if you have the motivation to do something special, to have the Blue Angels fly for YOU for your graduation, to meet the President, JCS, and other big-name people, and to go to school on a National Monument, I think you know where I would recommend. Good luck everybody! And as usual, any questions, feel free to PM me or email me with specifics.

BYPASS

Yes, it definitely is something special. I went to the summer seminar in June and was totally blown away with everything. It's tough to describe the feeling that comes over you unless you've been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.