• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naming CVN-77?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

What do you think CVN-77 should be named???

I read on Carrier Aviation News that they haven't come up with a name for CVN-77 yet and that a Senator suggested Intrepid, making it the third carrier named as such. CVN-77 is planned to be the last Nimitz class carrier. It was supposed to be the first CVX, but they decided they didn't have the money for a new design just yet so CVN-78 will be the CVX commisioned in 2008, at which point Kitty Hawk is scheduled for de-commisioning

My thoughts on a new CVX type carrier, If it ain't broke...

Anyway, that's 13 carriers, after CVN-76 Ronald Reagan is commisioned in 2002, for those keeping count. I know I am. Not the 16 that Lehman wanted back in the 80's, but not bad considering that we've got an anti-military guy up in the white house, and no more "evil empire" to play with, just these third world scrubs.

Fly Navy!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 30 July 2000

JTurse

USS United States.

There hasn't been one in this century (to my knowledge) and it's time (in my opinion) to get back to heritage based names. Herman Melville was crew on the United States way back around the 1840s. However, I don't think the return to heritage-based names will happen anytime soon considering the recent trend of naming carriers. I am sort of surprised that we named one after Truman. After all, he did try to get rid of naval aviation...thank god for the Korean War.

JT

Dave Shutter

I agree with you, a heritage based name is a good idea with all the political figures getting namesakes. It does seem to be a trend, and I imagine a bit of a political game, to see who can name what ship after whom. Not to say that Truman, Stennis, Vinson and Reagan were not instrumental in their times or helpful to the growth of the Navy, but naming ships after politicians, no matter how popular, seems a bit innapropriate when history is filled with the names of so many brave sailors and officers who did more than serve, but have made the ultimate sacrifice.

D

Phoenix

Well, John F. Kennedy was a political figure, but he was also a brave naval officer who almost got killed in WW2.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
USS William Jefferson Clinton ? lol...I should be shot for even joking of such a thing.

Seriously, how about USS Providence or Freedom . USS Pierre L'Enfant (the architect of Washington, DC)? My favorite: USS John Paul Jones .

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On the subject of naming ships.... It is also nice to see that the Submarine community went back to naming Submarines the way they did in WWII, with the USS SEAWOLF. Cities are nice and all for the fast attack boats, but come on, how would you have liked to have been on the USS CITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI, COCC for short, whew, what a mouth full.

And then the fact that the conventional naming of "heavy hitters" after the states, such as the Battleships ARIZONA and IOWA, and now we have the Boomers (TRIDENT CLASS SSBNs) picking up those names, such as the USS FLORIDA and WEST VIRGINIA.

Oh well, just some rambling comments, probably too early for me to be running my mouth anyways, off to my 0605 BI4 SIM, oh joy, partial panel OSCAR pattern, let's see what unusual attitudes I can get into today, can anyone say Aileron Roll in a T44? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.