• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI Wammy

JM151066

My OSO recently called me to tell me that my flight physical came back with a "waiver not recommended" for my left hand which does not have a pinky finger on it due to an injury. While at OCS I talked to platoon cmdrs who were Naval Aviatiors and they said that I should be fine and that you don't need a pinky finger to fly (also what the flight surgeon, previous OSO, and other military aviators have said). What do you think about the pinky and flying? The OSO said my only two options were to go ground contract or decline my commission. Is it possible to resubmit the physical? Would this also D/Q me from being an NFO?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
These kinds of things are hard to call. If you were already winged and you lost your finger, it would be one thing. To try to ENTER flight school with your condition is another story. It depends on the needs of the navy (marine corps) and there is a three month wait to class up at API right now.

On a lighter note, I do have a buddy that lost a thumb and is still a qualified Naval Aircrewman and Rescue Swimmer. Waivers are out there, but he had to fight tooth and nail and do a bunch of extra stuff to prove that he could still do the job.

No one can tell you for sure, but it's gonna take a lot of work on your part and a doctor that is willing to waive you...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
As the previous poster indicated, trying to get a waiver as a student is a lot tougher. Call the physical standards folks at NAMI; they might be able to give you direction for getting that waiver.

What other people said (about not needing your pinky) won't mean squat...unless that person is pretty high up on the food chain.

amr88

Have any of you guys hear of a waiver for mild amblyopia (lazy eye) its not included in the waiver guide... My poor buddy has a mild case where he sees 20/40, thought id try and get some advise for him, hes thinking of going for SNA

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
May not be an issue. See sections 12.3 and 12.5 for further info.

Docs may have him do an occular motility test.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
We've got a Harrier guy, "Shocker" who hung his wedding ring on the canopy rail doing a timed seat egress and lost the whole finger. Like mentioned above, doable for a winged aviator, more difficult for an applicant.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
We've got a Harrier guy, "Shocker" who hung his wedding ring on the canopy rail doing a timed seat egress and lost the whole finger. Like mentioned above, doable for a winged aviator, more difficult for an applicant.

One more reason not to get married . . . :D

And that callsign, hilarious.