• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

N3M Waivers

violetcollins

Hi all,

I'm currently working on my package for OCS, going for SWO and Intel, so far everything is all good with my OAR scores, etc. I went to MEPS yesterday and had no problems at all but found out while I was there that I was disqualified because of several diagnoses that the initial doctor wrote down after reviewing my records. I'm going to submit my records to N3M for a waiver but I'm worried that the nature of the diagnoses (mental health oriented) are going to get me disqualified. Also not sure why they allowed me to come into MEPS in the first place if I was already disqualified based on their initial assessment of my records. I was never diagnosed with any of them before, never took any medication, etc. but I saw a counselor several times last year due to COVID related anxiety. Anyone have any experience with the waiver process or know how lenient they are about these kinds of issues? Kinda stressing over here.

number9

Contributor
I am going through the Reserve (ODS) process right now so I don't know anything about OCS specifically, but: what does your recruiter say?

violetcollins

My recruiter said that it isn't the end all be all, and that she's worked with people with more far more extensive mental health/physical health histories than mine who have been granted a waiver. I've never dealt with any serious mental issues and what I sought counseling for was really short term, but it was fairly recent- saw a counselor for about 3 months in the last year. I'm just not sure how seriously N3M takes the diagnoses made by doctors at MEPS and I'm worried they're going to see these diagnoses and immediately refuse my waiver request

number9

Contributor
My recruiter said that it isn't the end all be all, and that she's worked with people with more far more extensive mental health/physical health histories than mine who have been granted a waiver. I've never dealt with any serious mental issues and what I sought counseling for was really short term, but it was fairly recent- saw a counselor for about 3 months in the last year. I'm just not sure how seriously N3M takes the diagnoses made by doctors at MEPS and I'm worried they're going to see these diagnoses and immediately refuse my waiver request
I'm not sure how seriously they take it either. Hopefully someone in here can chime in? In the meantime, you should probably start requesting your medical records from your doctor and any prescription records from your pharmacy. In my case, I needed medical records going back ~10 years and prescription records going back 3. I assume you'll have to provide your counseling records as well. But OCS might be different to ODS...

If you think you were misdiagnosed, you might want to see if you can get a new diagnosis for your past condition. I'm going through this at the moment; happy to post more here or you can PM me if you prefer.

violetcollins

I'm not sure how seriously they take it either. Hopefully someone in here can chime in? In the meantime, you should probably start requesting your medical records from your doctor and any prescription records from your pharmacy. In my case, I needed medical records going back ~10 years and prescription records going back 3. I assume you'll have to provide your counseling records as well. But OCS might be different to ODS...

If you think you were misdiagnosed, you might want to see if you can get a new diagnosis for your past condition. I'm going through this at the moment; happy to post more here or you can PM me if you prefer.
I really appreciate your reply, yeah I'm hoping theres someone on here who knows how seriously to take a diagnosis like that. I submitted my full medical record and pharmacy records before I went to MEPS- they asked my recruiter a couple time for additional documents which I provided. After I was able to submit all my counseling records they cleared me to come in for my medical exam and based on what was in those records the MEPS doctor made the diagnosis even though I was never diagnosed with any mental health condition in the past. I'm concerned because the things they diagnosed me with are pretty serious conditions. Other than the medical side I'm all good to go with the rest of my application, and I didn't face any problem with the rest of the exam/tests at MEPS.

exNavyOffRec

Hi all,

I'm currently working on my package for OCS, going for SWO and Intel, so far everything is all good with my OAR scores, etc. I went to MEPS yesterday and had no problems at all but found out while I was there that I was disqualified because of several diagnoses that the initial doctor wrote down after reviewing my records. I'm going to submit my records to N3M for a waiver but I'm worried that the nature of the diagnoses (mental health oriented) are going to get me disqualified. Also not sure why they allowed me to come into MEPS in the first place if I was already disqualified based on their initial assessment of my records. I was never diagnosed with any of them before, never took any medication, etc. but I saw a counselor several times last year due to COVID related anxiety. Anyone have any experience with the waiver process or know how lenient they are about these kinds of issues? Kinda stressing over here.
Items they look at are time since it happened as the longer it has been the better chance, no meds are a plus, the big thing is if it involved any suicidal thoughts that will probably be a show stopper.

If it was just a feeling of minor depression due to not seeing people then it might be something they could waive or they could want a consult (most likely), these things can take a few months or I have seen them take 2 years.

violetcollins

Items they look at are time since it happened as the longer it has been the better chance, no meds are a plus, the big thing is if it involved any suicidal thoughts that will probably be a show stopper.

If it was just a feeling of minor depression due to not seeing people then it might be something they could waive or they could want a consult (most likely), these things can take a few months or I have seen them take 2 years.

That makes sense, thanks for the reply. Definitely never had any suicidal thoughts and from my opinion (granted I'm not a doctor) I never experienced any periods of depression. Really hoping if I don't get disqualified by N3M that it doesn't take that long but as long as it works out I'm committed to the process!

Applicant166

Good Afternoon,

Trying to submit my package for OCS/SWO Board very soon but running into some problems regarding MEPs.

After I submitted my 2807 MEPs has requested that I submit all medical/pharmacy records since my 12th birthday to rule out whether or not I continue to suffer from eczema. My medical records and pharmacy records indicate I have suffered from contact dermatitis/"eczema" once back in 2016. I am aware this is a disqualifying factor but I have no other history of this and have only been affected by it once.... I also received two notes from separate dermatologists confirming I no longer suffer from it. Do I need a waiver for this and how worried should I be about getting DQed?

Another worry is that other minor factors in my pediatric records may raise more questions than answers and I will be caught in a loop of having to explain every single time I have entered a doctors office.
To be specific:
-Sprained knee at age 13
-Mild Concussion at age 13
-Having Strep Throat on a couple separate occasions
-Mild Depression age 21 (No counseling required or ever happened, no medications were prescribed)

My question is when they say "all medical/pharmaceutical records" I know they want everything but is it necessary? Can I just provide the documents that prove I no longer have eczema and be safe? Or should I provide all records I could possible attain?

My current plan is to print the pharmacy records from my current pharmacy from the past 6 years along with the accompanying medical records to explain those prescriptions and hopes this satisfies MEP's, is this feasible?

I apologize for the long post, appreciate all feedback!

number9

Contributor
Can you post the language used in the request from MEPS? Is it "all records relating to eczema since you were 12" or truly "all records since you were 12"?

Applicant166

Can you post the language used in the request from MEPS? Is it "all records relating to eczema since you were 12" or truly "all records since you were 12"?
Exact words from the email I received from my OR were : "All medical and pharmacy records after 12 birthday to present."
When I asked him to clarify what that meant he wasn't sure and then forwarded me the email from the Navy liaison at MEPs which stated the above quote.

After googling this and reading forums I determined that this is sometimes asked in eczema cases because MEPs won't cause a problem if the eczema related incidents stopped after 12th birthday....

violetcollins

Not an expert, but I just finished the process of going through MEPS and submitting all the paperwork needed after they kept requesting certain documentation (similar stuff, concussion, sprained ankle, all from a few years ago, also pharmacy records). My advice would be to just get all your records and submit them especially since you're going to have to go through some trouble to get the eczema related ones anyways. With regards to your concerns about the concussion/knee sprain etc. problems, just make sure that you're submitting all the records you have, including any xrays/scans/tests the doctor may have done. Not sure if other recruiters do this as well, but mine recommended that I fill out 1133/78 forms describing the medical injury/issue and the treatment I had and stating that I've submitted all available records. After I submitted all the documents I had no problem getting cleared

violetcollins

Hi all,

Update: N3M ended up requesting a consult in order to clear me. Not sure if this is common knowledge but I didn't know that for officer candidates MEPS isn't obligated to perform the evaluation themselves for you, you have to find a doctor to perform the evaluation on your own. Hoping anyone else who is dealing with the same thing ends up figuring it out too.