• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My husband will be putting in a package for Navy Officer

Izel

Hi everyone I have been lurking around for a while, but I was finally able to register.

My name is Izel and my husband is currently a Marine Reservist part of an aviation squadron, he has done 3 years of active duty due to activations and deployments. My husband is currently a senior in college, his major is Psychology.

He finally was able to get an appointment with a recruiter last week and will be taking the test in January. My husband wants to go into Intel but the recruiter thinks that he may have a good chance of getting a Flight Navigation Officer spot (I think that’s what is called), I’m not sure if it’s because of his current MOS or that is what is needed in the Navy right now.

Well I know I’ll be asking allot of questions in the months to come so I thought I would say hi :)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Is he looking at becoming a Naval Officer or a Marine Officer, kind of nitpicking but it does make a difference

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is he looking at becoming a Naval Officer or a Marine Officer, kind of nitpicking but it does make a difference

Check yourself.

NAVAL = Navy AND Marine Corps. Did they not teach you that?

ALL Marine Aviators are NAVAL Aviators.

The NAVAL SERVICES are the Navy and the Marine Corps.

Yes it is common to say Naval Officer for Navy and Marine Officer for Marine. But they are actually one in the same.

Izel

That’s something I didn’t know, I’m already learning. So I guess my husband wants to become a Naval Officer for the Navy :)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Check yourself.

NAVAL = Navy AND Marine Corps. Did they not teach you that?

ALL Marine Aviators are NAVAL Aviators.

The NAVAL SERVICES are the Navy and the Marine Corps.

Yes it is common to say Naval Officer for Navy and Marine Officer for Marine. But they are actually one in the same.

You got to be kidding, was this post really necessary?

Yes the Marine Corps is a part of the Navy. Yes ALL Marine Aviators are NAVAL Aviators and the NAVAL Services of the United States include the Marine Corps. Common terminology however dictates that a NAVAL Officer and a MARINE Officer are not "one in the same". The distinction is less for Aviators however it is more of a contrast throughout the rest of the services. That is why there are "The Naval Officer's Guide" and "The Marine Officer's Guide" instead of a single all inclusive guide.

When I said that it makes a difference I was referencing ONLY the difference in need in each service, not a difference in job or quality.

So before you try to hammer others maybe you should check yourself and think about if you are misreading / interpreting someones post. All due respect intended of course.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got to be kidding, was this post really necessary?

Yes the Marine Corps is a part of the Navy. Yes ALL Marine Aviators are NAVAL Aviators and the NAVAL Services of the United States include the Marine Corps. Common terminology however dictates that a NAVAL Officer and a MARINE Officer are not "one in the same". The distinction is less for Aviators however it is more of a contrast throughout the rest of the services. That is why there are "The Naval Officer's Guide" and "The Marine Officer's Guide" instead of a single all inclusive guide.

When I said that it makes a difference I was referencing ONLY the difference in need in each service, not a difference in job or quality.

So before you try to hammer others maybe you should check yourself and think about if you are misreading / interpreting someones post. All due respect intended of course.

Yes, I got what you meant. And I'm not trying to play "fvck with the Marine" by saying all Marines are part of the Navy. I just didn't want you to confuse an obvious newcomer with the terminology. They are one in the same... and they are different. Maybe I was too snide, sorry.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I second this statement. He'll be more than welcome.

I'll 3rd that...if thats even possible.

Fly - don't worry about it bro, no harm no foul, I probably should have clarified for her since she is new to the community so thats a good point.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
He finally was able to get an appointment with a recruiter last week and will be taking the test in January. My husband wants to go into Intel but the recruiter thinks that he may have a good chance of getting a Flight Navigation Officer spot (I think that’s what is called), I’m not sure if it’s because of his current MOS or that is what is needed in the Navy right now.

One piece of advice...make sure that he grabs a ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery) study guide (availible in all bookstores) as well in case the intel falls through (which I've heard is a very competative billet now-a-days). If he speaks a foreign language, I've heard that helps immensly.

It's not a "Tough" test, but there are parts of it that may trip up a good amount of the population...ie, spacial orientation...the more you practice the better you will get...

Thread that may help:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11294

GL. AND GET HIM ON HERE. I'm a salty 5-month LT and this forum is a wealth of knowledge- even for me. ;)

~D

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
Izel--

Is your husband going to stick with the USMC or transfer to the Navy?

Jamnww-- I like that signature.

Izel

Thank you for the advice, I will try to get him here as soon as he has a chance, he is currently working full time and going to school full time so it makes it hard to be online.

A little more background on him… He is currently a Marine Reservist, has done 2.9 years of active duty, and has been deployed twice to combat zones. He wants to join the Navy as an officer but is not looking to go through the military to do so, he’s contract is up in June and he will graduate from College in December.

Again thank you for all the advice.