• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My experience and gouge on the ASTB

WEGL12

VT-28
Today I took the ASTB for the first time and scored: 8/9/9 63. I would like to thank everyone on this site for all the links and information available. Here are my thoughts about the test:
Math Skills: I found this section to be easier than all the review material I looked at. The math on the test does not require any high level concepts. Be prepared to multiply and divide both fractions and decimals without a calculator. This takes some time to adjust to especially if you have any calculus classes because it’s easy to forget simple math procedures. I also had several problems that require solving for two variables in a system of two equations. I looked over the math review in the Barron’s book before I took any of the practice tests. The math review is pretty accurate in terms of the types of problems. If you aren’t great in math it will explain the process of solve each type of problem. The marine gouge is also very valuable. I actually had a few problems that were the exact same question but with different number.
Reading Skills: Going into the test this was the section I was worried about. I sucked on the verbal sections back when I took the SAT. Pretty much if you can read and place no bias opinions on the material you are in good shape. Some of the questions had three or four correct answers, so be careful to only use what was given in the paragraph. The paragraphs were a lot shorter than I expected. Many questions were based on a statement of a sentence or two. To study for this section I recommend the Arco military flight book. The reading section in the book is harder than the real test in my opinion. The Barron’s book is not accurate for this section because the questions asked are completely different compared to the actual exam.
Mechanical Comprehension: I have a strong physics back ground so this section was extremely easy for me. The marine gouge, Arco book, and the Barron’s book are very good sources to view the topics covered on the exam. I had only one or two questions that actually required any calculations, the rest of the questions were all theories. Some main concepts include: pulleys, engine principles, mechanical advantage, forces on objects, and fluids. I recommend using Arco and the marine gouge to study for this section. The Barron’s book is also helpful in explaining when to use certain theories and principles. Another good study source is atrickpay’s personal study guide. His study guide covers and simplifies most of the principles on the exam.
Spatial Apperception: Not a hard section at all but I believe it’s the hardest section to prepare for. All the study guides I used were nothing like the actual questions. However, the study material is help in determining the different situations (ex: out to sea, climbing and banking to the left). If you use the Arco book do not rely on the clouds to determine the answer. The actual test does not have clouds to help determine if the plane is climbing, level flight, or diving. I suggest looking at the answers if a certain question looks confusing and it’s hard to determine the situation. In most cases the answer choices can be narrowed down to only one or two possible answers. I would not recommend the Barron’s section as a study source. Many of the questions in this section contain errors that cause frustration.
Aviation Knowledge: I had to study the hardest for this section. I have zero flight experience and a very limited knowledge of flying procedures. However, majoring in aerospace engineering I was over prepared in terms of the theories and aerodynamics of flight. I suggest starting with the principles of aerodynamics (Bernoulli’s principle and its relation to aviation, how flight controls work, vortexes, and the affects of pressure, density, and temperature on the performance of an airplane), I had several questions on these topics. Be aware of the different flight controls, flight instruments, types of altitude, types of speed, and the general idea of what goes on at an airport. I had a few questions regarding the types of aircraft used in certain situations, weather, historical events and classification of ships. It takes a long time to truly study for this section because it is a large amount of information. I strongly suggest the FAA’s Handbook and atrickpay’s study guide. These two sources cover all the information needed to have a strong background going into the test.
The last section was entirely aviation based questions. I only had one question that did not cover an aviation topic.
Links of things I used:
http://www.math.com/homeworkhelp/Algebra.html
http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb/
http://navy-officer.com/astb.html
http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.13.3/?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/
http://www.vanavyofficerprograms.com/general.html
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes/MechanicalAptitude/
I started to study for the test two months ago. Once the test date was officially set I studied about an hour or two each night for four weeks. Last week I started taking the practice test in the Barron’s Military Flight book, Arco Flight book, and Arco’s Officer Candidate book. Look around this website for pieces of information here and there. I can’t even list the number of questions answered just by the information on this site. The practice tests are very important because it prepares you for the time factor on the test. If you are completing the practice test with a few minutes remaining you are in good shape. I finished each section on the real exam with five or more minutes remaining while on the practice test I normal only had less than a minute remaining. It requires a lot of time but it can be accomplished if you are determined to do well. I managed to find time to study (10 to 15 hours a week) even though I work 40 hours a week and I am taking 20 semester hour (which really sucks, never will make this mistake again). Trust me it feels really good going into the exam feeling prepared and used to the questions being asked. The point I am trying to make is determination can result in a high score on the ASTB, which can make a strong impact on your application. Determination can also play an important role getting accepted into a program (hopefully this will come next for me). A good example is when I first call the recruiter officer. He told me I was not very competitive for BDCP even though I had a 3.7 GPA. His major reasoning is I only have grades from a community college. I had a hard time even getting a date to take the test. Today when he saw the score it all changed and the whole process has really changed in my favor. The point is determination can only help the situation so study hard. This is all I have for right now sorry about the length of the post. Everything I have stated has been covered many times through out this site. Feel free to ask any questions or make comments and I will answer to the best of my abilities.

jph

Congrats on the score ... regarding aviation knowledge, I too am studying the FAA Handbook, and I'm just wondering what your approach to it was. Did you focus only on certain chapters, if so, which ones, or did you read it in its entirety then go back and focus on certain chapters, or none the above? Thanks in advance.

WEGL12

VT-28
I read the entire handbook. Some people consider this overkill but eventually you will learn the material regardless so it’s not a waste of time. I read the following chapter twice: 2-5, 7, 10, 11, and 13. These chapters cover the majority of information found on the test. I found chapters 3, 4, 5, 11, and 13 to be the most important. So I recommend spending more time on these chapters. The handbook is not hard to read if you have some interest in aviation. Also, chapter 6 may help explain some mechanical concepts that take place in engines and some concepts of forces. It is worth looking into that chapter if you are struggling with the mechanical section.

CreoleStyle

Hi,
Congrats....Im currently studying to take the ASTB and I have the Peterson's Military Flight Aptitude study guide...I am having a hard time with the mechanical portion and I dont have a clue when it comes to spatial info....Are you recommending that I use the FAA Handbook? Will that help me? I dedicated about 4 hrs to the Aviation/Nautical portion of the study guide tonite and it seems like its ok but I want to be more than prepared...some of the material Im familiar with bc Im prior Navy but its been I while since Ive been in school....but any and all feedback would help me tremendously so pls feel free by any means. Also, is marinegouge another study aid?

ianmck111

Great post, Citadel. This should be a sticky. I agree, the FAA Handbook is a valuable resource. Since my only nautical experience is bass fishing on inland lakes I'm a little concerned about that side of the Aviation and Nautical Info test. How in depth did the questions get, and do you have any recommendations on nautical info study material?

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
creole...for the mechanical section i would definitely invest in either the barrons or arco (or both) prep books...i found the practice questions to be quite valuable in studying....the FAA stuff will help you on the aviation part of the test, i would definitely recommend getting a handle on how an airplane flies, light patterns, cloud identification, etc...also some knowledge of aviation history and what airframes perform what kind of missions would be good to know...the best resource i had was a study guide which i found on one of the pages of the astb mega thread on this forum...i cannot express how much it helped me to prepare for the test...the infamous marine gouge is also a good reference, just do some legwork to find all the good stuff, it's out here

WEGL12

VT-28
I strongly recommend picking up a copy of the Arco and Barron's study guides. These were very close to the type of questions on the mechanical section. I noticed a lot of mechanical topics were covered in the FAA Handbook. The topics covered are actually related to flight and airplanes so it may help you understand certain topics because of the different perspective. A large portion of the mechanical section can be figured out using common sense. You can't really prepare for the spatial section, just expect some different angles compared to the practice material. The only thing you can do is practice as much as possible. The Aviation info was very straight forward and the FAA Handbook is really overkill. But I studied with the mindset that I could not know too much information. Plus most of this information will be learned in flight school anyway. The Marine gouge and atrickpay's personal study guide were also very useful for both the mechanical and aviation sections. Hope this helps.

WEGL12

VT-28
Great post, Citadel. This should be a sticky. I agree, the FAA Handbook is a valuable resource. Since my only nautical experience is bass fishing on inland lakes I'm a little concerned about that side of the Aviation and Nautical Info test. How in depth did the questions get, and do you have any recommendations on nautical info study material?

I only had one or two questions that involved nautical information. The aviation section covered the basic principles of flight, weather, instruments, flight controls, and operations at airports. All this information is covered in the FAA handbook. The majority of the questions on this section, I specifically remember reading in the Handbook. So it is worth the time and money to study the FAA book. The Marine gouge and atrickpay's study guide both cover many of these topics.

Vipergallo

Hi,
Thanks for posting those links. I will definitely be using them to study. I am taking the test on May 18 so wish me luck. Has any one used the Cliffs Test Prep Book? And if so how does it compare to the other study material? I bought that along with the Arco book today.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
have not had any experience with cliffs, but i would definitely suggest investing in the barrons book as well...the arco book is great too!

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
The ASTB must carry much more weight now than they seemed to 11 years ago... have flight slots become so scarce that they actually use those scores to cut people from being considered?

WEGL12

VT-28
The ASTB must carry much more weight now than they seemed to 11 years ago... have flight slots become so scarce that they actually use those scores to cut people from being considered?

My recruiter said the ASTB is a very important part of the overall package. He said in order to be competitive you need to score at least 50 OAR and 5 and 6s. I got the impression he wouldn’t even submit my package if I scored below these scores.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
My recruiter mentioned to me that the "average" scores for the March selection board were 7/7/7 and 60. Actually, I think she said the averages came out to be 7.1. . .but I rounded for good measure.

Hawkeye, I think that the job market for pilots has become significantly less competitive from 11 years ago, ergo, more people are considering Naval aviation, making the slots more competitive.

soleadd13

If you have success against top amateurs, then you should explore your professional options. At this point, you will need sponsorship support, because breaking into professional golf is very expensive(ishiner). The first professional tier features various mini-tours, with discount golf clubs events around the country at which you put up an entry fee and play for the pot.