• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My AAR: Instruments, Forms and Completion

RoarkJr.

Hey everyone, the fat lady hath sung. I landed my forms solo Wednesday with about half an hour to spare to select this week. I will try to give what I feel like are the most useful nuggets of what I wish I had known or what my experience was for these last two stages.

Instruments was a total cluster for me in the beginning. I must be more of a "monkey skills" guy because I heard from a lot of people that it was their favorite stage, whereas for me it was the most difficult. I had three months to prepare for contacts but only three days to prepare for instruments and it showed. Ground school was difficult... I got the impression I was supposed to know a lot more than I did coming in. My understanding is that they are changing the syllabus soon, so hopefully it's a little better for you going in later. To offer perspective, I did not know what an "approach" was going in. I mean, we called ATC when we were "approaching" a VFR course rules checkpoint...why not call it a "controlled landing" or something instead? Yeah...

To mitigate that (if you're also a mouth breather), my recommendation is to have somebody who is instruments complete walk you through a flight. It's really not that bad when you think about it: you get your clearance, get handed off to various approaches and or centers if you are high enough, you get weather information for where you want to go, and then when you are with your destination approach you check in and request the approaches you want. You can expect radar vectors to final approach course unless you want something else for training, and you need to practice when they give you the final call for when you are cleared for the approach. Obviously you need to learn the approach plates, and the accompanying procedures for the various types of approaches, but the FTI lays those out reasonably well.

I ended up doing a cross country, and while it was very difficult doing three flights in a row (twice), I definitely recommend it for the experience. I had a blast with my friends but also got to mess up a lot in a lot of different places, which will hopefully pay off in the future, despite the pain in the present. Try not to get too hung up on things like I did, for example, you will probably fly VFR mostly while in instruments. This gives the instructors flexibility, but initially it was very confusing for me because, well, it's instruments, so why am I not filing IFR? It can all seem overwhelming at first, but just give it time. I will say this, if you can keep the plane at exactly the airspeed you want and exactly the altitude you want, the instructors will notice. I had to get lazy basic air work sort of beat out of me, but once it was I felt like a lot better of a pilot.

There are definitely differences between how you prepare for the simulators and how you prepare for real flights. I wish they didn't teach the classes the way they did, introducing the publications first, and then the approaches etc because it can lead you to believe that you are sitting there looking through the AP/1A before flights. Maybe later, but not Primary. For the simulators, prepare like the handout tells you to prepare and like ground school taught you to prepare with the jet logs and whatnot. For the flights in the local area, focus on weather, canned routes, and meeting your JPPT requirements. Go to the usual spots, get the gouge on which places have good food (and obviously have contract fuel). Try not to stress too bad about the checkride, the approaches aren't even graded.

Get gud with Foreflight...you can put in delays, holds, get suggested routes, jet log, all that jazz. Pretty nice. In terms of what straps to use I just used the regular leg strap that it came with. For my cross country I forgot my leg strap but it turns out that the case it comes with fits in your G suit strap. Also, bring your iPad in Forms, we shot an ILS back home once due to the rules being no-go from weather.

Forms was frustrating at first because I was scheduled for the class before I was even complete with instruments. So there I was, preparing for an instrument check while also trying to study my night VFR navigation, when I see that I am scheduled for a forms class knowing that I will also be expected to pass a test in 24 hours on an FTI I haven't read at all. Anyway, the gouge is good, make sure you get the "xerox" gouge and watch the driver videos. What I did was walk through a flight from walking into the FWOC to calling base once we got back on deck. I had the gouge videos, FTI, and FWOP all up and just filled in the flight from each source step by step. Chair/walk fly with your partner ASAP to get the signals and calls down. The brief is a bit of a monster, you just have to keep hitting it until you have it down. The flying part is an absolute blast and really not that difficult once you get the basics down.

I was fortunate to have some great friends, study partners, and instructors throughout primary. I selected jets Meridian and will probably start sometime early next year. If you have any questions at all shoot me a DM or post here, I got a lot of messages from the Contacts post and it's been great sharing experiences and gouge. Thanks Airwarriors!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The AP is important on deployment, but even then you might rarely use it as a lot of the unusual questions for your flight planning can get addressed by the chain of command, rather the air ops people at each echelon, providing specific guidance.

Little secret about that third leg home on Sunday nights of a weekend CCX, it's common knowledge with the instructors that you're pretty worn out. Glad to hear the CCX experience was both fun and educational, that's what it's supposed to be like. There's a magic switch inside students' brains that gets flipped when you're more than one or two hundred miles from home plate. The switch enables a lot of the brain cells that were inexplicably unavailable when you guys were banging your heads against the wall through early stage fams... the same phenomenon happens again in advanced, ha ha.

You're not the first person to have the buzzing light bulb above your head, pondering questions like "what's an approach?" and you won't be the last. For every laughable question like that there are a lot of really hard concepts that you figured out.

Nice writeup and congratulations! Kick some ass in advanced and enjoy everything from here on out.

Last edited:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Outside of every year's IGS, I have opened a GP maybe 6 times total in 14 years of flying. I have looked at an AP of any flavor...never.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Let us know what the powers-that-be read once they shake the Magic Selection 8-Ball!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey everyone, the fat lady hath sung. I landed my forms solo Wednesday with about half an hour to spare to select this week. I will try to give what I feel like are the most useful nuggets of what I wish I had known or what my experience was for these last two stages.

Instruments was a total cluster for me in the beginning. I must be more of a "monkey skills" guy because I heard from a lot of people that it was their favorite stage, whereas for me it was the most difficult. I had three months to prepare for contacts but only three days to prepare for instruments and it showed. Ground school was difficult... I got the impression I was supposed to know a lot more than I did coming in. My understanding is that they are changing the syllabus soon, so hopefully it's a little better for you going in later. To offer perspective, I did not know what an "approach" was going in. I mean, we called ATC when we were "approaching" a VFR course rules checkpoint...why not call it a "controlled landing" or something instead? Yeah...

To mitigate that (if you're also a mouth breather), my recommendation is to have somebody who is instruments complete walk you through a flight. It's really not that bad when you think about it: you get your clearance, get handed off to various approaches and or centers if you are high enough, you get weather information for where you want to go, and then when you are with your destination approach you check in and request the approaches you want. You can expect radar vectors to final approach course unless you want something else for training, and you need to practice when they give you the final call for when you are cleared for the approach. Obviously you need to learn the approach plates, and the accompanying procedures for the various types of approaches, but the FTI lays those out reasonably well.

I ended up doing a cross country, and while it was very difficult doing three flights in a row (twice), I definitely recommend it for the experience. I had a blast with my friends but also got to mess up a lot in a lot of different places, which will hopefully pay off in the future, despite the pain in the present. Try not to get too hung up on things like I did, for example, you will probably fly VFR mostly while in instruments. This gives the instructors flexibility, but initially it was very confusing for me because, well, it's instruments, so why am I not filing IFR? It can all seem overwhelming at first, but just give it time. I will say this, if you can keep the plane at exactly the airspeed you want and exactly the altitude you want, the instructors will notice. I had to get lazy basic air work sort of beat out of me, but once it was I felt like a lot better of a pilot.

There are definitely differences between how you prepare for the simulators and how you prepare for real flights. I wish they didn't teach the classes the way they did, introducing the publications first, and then the approaches etc because it can lead you to believe that you are sitting there looking through the AP/1A before flights. Maybe later, but not Primary. For the simulators, prepare like the handout tells you to prepare and like ground school taught you to prepare with the jet logs and whatnot. For the flights in the local area, focus on weather, canned routes, and meeting your JPPT requirements. Go to the usual spots, get the gouge on which places have good food (and obviously have contract fuel). Try not to stress too bad about the checkride, the approaches aren't even graded.

Get gud with Foreflight...you can put in delays, holds, get suggested routes, jet log, all that jazz. Pretty nice. In terms of what straps to use I just used the regular leg strap that it came with. For my cross country I forgot my leg strap but it turns out that the case it comes with fits in your G suit strap. Also, bring your iPad in Forms, we shot an ILS back home once due to the rules being no-go from weather.

Forms was frustrating at first because I was scheduled for the class before I was even complete with instruments. So there I was, preparing for an instrument check while also trying to study my night VFR navigation, when I see that I am scheduled for a forms class knowing that I will also be expected to pass a test in 24 hours on an FTI I haven't read at all. Anyway, the gouge is good, make sure you get the "xerox" gouge and watch the driver videos. What I did was walk through a flight from walking into the FWOC to calling base once we got back on deck. I had the gouge videos, FTI, and FWOP all up and just filled in the flight from each source step by step. Chair/walk fly with your partner ASAP to get the signals and calls down. The brief is a bit of a monster, you just have to keep hitting it until you have it down. The flying part is an absolute blast and really not that difficult once you get the basics down.

I was fortunate to have some great friends, study partners, and instructors throughout primary. I selected jets Meridian and will probably start sometime early next year. If you have any questions at all shoot me a DM or post here, I got a lot of messages from the Contacts post and it's been great sharing experiences and gouge. Thanks Airwarriors!

Congratulations on finishing primary and on your selection. Question for you: are practice simulator events still available? Many, many years ago when I went through primary, you could sign up in the morning for open sim times and get a practice event. I looked at my logbook and counted quite a few (and I still barely graduated…)

On a separate subject, one thing I have mentioned in the past is to take care of yourself physically: double hearing protection is good. Likewise, I powerlifted and found that the heavy deadlifts and squats that I did provided protection from lower back issues from the dreaded “helicopter hunch”. Not sure how big of a problem it will be in the fast movers but physical conditioning is always good.

RoarkJr.

Congratulations on finishing primary and on your selection. Question for you: are practice simulator events still available? Many, many years ago when I went through primary, you could sign up in the morning for open sim times and get a practice event. I looked at my logbook and counted quite a few (and I still barely graduated…)

On a separate subject, one thing I have mentioned in the past is to take care of yourself physically: double hearing protection is good. Likewise, I powerlifted and found that the heavy deadlifts and squats that I did provided protection from lower back issues from the dreaded “helicopter hunch”. Not sure how big of a problem it will be in the fast movers but physical conditioning is always good.
Practice Sims are available but usually only if you sign up in advance and they are not guaranteed. You can get lucky and snag a slot some days but for the past few months it has been so busy that it was rare to find an open 0FT or even UTD. Most of the time
Sim Saturday was the move.

Maintaining a workout regimen was difficult at the height of the busyness, but I at least managed a run or a lift at least once a week, but I definitely try to do better most of the time. My diet suffered pretty badly too, glad to get back on track with the break.
Duh…I missed where you noted you selected jets! Congrats.
thanks!

Birdbrain

pilot
T-45 hah flip switch turn knob "chicago center bobcat 56 level 12 thousand..." I don't even know but that's about right