• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'MUTHA' in the Marines

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
So the bones thread got me interested and I read up on the history and traditions related to MUTHA and was wondering, since I'm on the green side of the house, are there any similiar shenanigans/traditions Marine squadrons take part in? I'm curious across all airframes what types of traditions I can look forward to experiencing. Hilarious stories encouraged/appreciated...:D

Renegade One

None
... are there any similiar shenanigans/traditions Marine squadrons take part in? ... Hilarious stories encouraged/appreciated...:D

Unfortunately, "shenanigans and hilarity" were outlawed in the Marine Corps shortly after the Key West Agreement of 1948. Key points of this "agreement" are as follows:
  • The Navy (and by extension, the USMC) would be allowed to retain its own combat air arm "...to conduct air operations as necessary for the accomplishment of objectives in a naval campaign..."
  • The Army would be allowed to retain aviation assets for reconnaissance and MEDEVAC purposes.
  • The Air Force would have control of all strategic air assets, and most tactical and logistic functions as well.
When informed of the outcome, then-Commandant of the Marine Corps General Clifton B. Cates simply remarked "No kidding!" Unfortunately, an overzealous HQMC staff codified his mis-interpreted remark into policies forbidding humor of any kind within the Marine Corps, but specifically within Marine aviation.