• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Must Try" Restaurants Around the Nation

Sculpin

Bang Bang sushi. Ballast Point and Green Flash breweries. Swell Coffee breakfast burritos (Mission Beach). Newbreak coffee (Ocean Beach).

And yes, looking south of 264. :)
Okay with all due respect, I must object to this. Bang Bang is mediocre for food, decent for clubbing. You want great sushi? Go to Sushi Ota or Tadokoro or to places on Convoy St.

Ballast Point is great (check my avatar). Green Flash is overrated and really only frequented by Sorrento Valley office slaves. There's lots of better places in Mira Mesa and Miramar, such as Alesmith, Rough Draft, St. Archer, Karl Strauss, 32 North, Duck Foot, Intergalactic, and lots more, nevermind breweries in other neighborhoods or cities in SD County.

If you want to go to a good coffee house, try Lestat's, Cafe Bassam, Dark Horse, Ironsmith, Bird Rock and lots of others I could give you.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Everyone I've ever brought to Dreamland is super unimpressed by the Wonderbread until they dip it into the sauce and change their lives forever.

pilot_man

No longer the biggest Hornet asshole on AW.
pilot
I always like Kushu sushi in Va beach. It was a small mom and pop type place when I was there with really good rolls. Something that is very hard to find in Japan.

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot
Not South of 264 but cogans pizza pretty much sustained me during my JO tour.

When we were back in Norfolk for Dr. Pags' (formerly Mrs. Pags) graduation we celebrated with the pork nachos at Tortilla West.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Okay with all due respect, I must object to this. Bang Bang is mediocre for food, decent for clubbing. You want great sushi? Go to Sushi Ota or Tadokoro or to places on Convoy St.

Ballast Point is great (check my avatar). Green Flash is overrated and really only frequented by Sorrento Valley office slaves. There's lots of better places in Mira Mesa and Miramar, such as Alesmith, Rough Draft, St. Archer, Karl Strauss, 32 North, Duck Foot, Intergalactic, and lots more, nevermind breweries in other neighborhoods or cities in SD County.

If you want to go to a good coffee house, try Lestat's, Cafe Bassam, Dark Horse, Ironsmith, Bird Rock and lots of others I could give you.
Tadokoro is solid

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Pretty mainstream at this point, but wife and I always had fun going to get drinks/dinner at Stone brewery in Escondido, just up the road from us. Not sure if they are still doing it, but they did the outdoor movie thing on maybe wed nights if I recall correctly.

BarryD

San Diego Recommendations:
Southbeach Bar and Grill in OB for seafood
Rocky's in PB for burgers
Otriz's Taco Shop for Taco Shop Mexican food in Point Loma, Nico's Taco Shop in Ocean Beach
Point Loma Seafood for well . . . seafood

SalukiDawg2017

Gonna bring everyone back stateside, a hometown favorite that is nationally known.

Fast Eddie's Bon Air in Alton, Illinois. 25 minutes north of St. Louis on Hwy 367. Home of the Big Elwood, 29 cent shrimp, 99 cent Fast Eddie Burgers, and 1.75 BUSCH BEER all night/every night.

The Legend begins with beer—Busch beer to be exact. But this was just the beginning…

In 1921 Anheuser Busch decided to open a drinking establishment in the picturesque river town of Alton, Illinois. A yellow brick building known as Bon-Air, was constructed right on the corner of three streets, 4th, Pearl and Broadway. Approximately ten years later, Busch had to sell the tavern due to a change in the statutes, which prohibited breweries from owning drinking establishments.

Sam Balaco, and later his son Lotteo, owned and operated the Bon-Air for 50 years. Then in 1981, in a move that would change history forever, Eddie Sholar (alias Fast Eddie) purchased Bon-Air. Things began to change – FAST!

In the more than twenty years that Fast Eddie has owned Bon-Air, it has quadrupled in size going from 80 chairs (and a few beer cases) to over 400 chairs. And on the weekends, standing room becomes a premium commodity!

Each weekend features the best in live entertainment: Sable, Fantasy, Planet Boogie and Ultraviolets, just to name a few. Until you’ve played Bon-Air, you haven’t played anywhere.

Fast Eddie’s Bon-Air is like no other. Over 4,000 half barrels of beer and thousands of cases of cans, bottles and liquor quench the thirst of our patrons every year. Some even say that Bon-Air is the #1 volume bar in the world!

A food bar, added due to popular demand, serves an assortment of grilled burgers, shish-kabobs, bratwurst and boiled shrimp all sold at the same low prices as when they were added nineteen years ago.
So…we now have an establishment that has become the hot spot of the Midwest!

Anyone been?
I'm also from the area and would have to recommend the Bon Air to anyone who hasn't been absolute blast and great place.

SalukiDawg2017

Awesome thread here. I've been traveling a lot for work lately and figured I'd a few of my favorites so far.

Catfish Charlie's- Dubuque, Iowa

The Block- Charleston, West Virginia

The Anchor Bar- Buffalo, New York (place that started buffalo wings)

Calhounds On The River- Knoxville, Tennessee.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
Awesome thread here. I've been traveling a lot for work lately and figured I'd a few of my favorites so far.

Catfish Charlie's- Dubuque, Iowa
And go to the Shot Tower for a pizza after a night of drinking, watching the Fighting Saints, and I guess reminiscing about the good old days when they had some pretty epic strip clubs (they tore them all down in '08ish). Man, back when I was working the NAHL and USHL, Dubuque was a diamond in the rough. A single dude could totally paratroop it for the night with his bros and generally get one in the W column for the night.

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I mentioned this in another thread, but if you are in the DFW Metroplex, check out one of the Hard 8 BBQ's. Skip the chicken, pass on the pulled pork and go for the brisket as well as some bacon wrapped chicken, onion and pepper poppers. Massive wood fired grills and cooked right there on the spot - absolutely superb - and on some nights they have someone playing guitar on the outside patio - last time sounded like Ray Wylie Hubbard... https://hardeightbbq.com/

Last edited: